Linux Intel J1900 video tearing --SOLVED
While playing 1080p video on Kodi 15.2 I get video tearing that rolls either from top to bottom or bottom to top.
I've tried Kodi install on Linux Mint xfce 17.3.. tried on ubuntumate 15.10.. tried with drivers from 01.org.. tried with open source driver.. tried turning following on and off... vysync.. dither.. vaapi on and off.. sync to display.. on and off.. tried all the kodi settings..nothing seems to work.. even followed this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955 however I also tried openelc6.01... worked beautifully.. no tearing at all. I really need a desktop environment from time to time however.. so my question can I add a desktop environment to open elec.. or is ther something that is making open elec work and kodi fail that I can fix..

system.. intel j1900
4 gigs 1.35v ram
120 ssd..
shuttle xs35v4
Disable mint's compositor.

Alternatively: Log out -> choose kodi session and fine.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for the fast reply! I've done a lot in Linux but have never disabled compositor?? Brief instructions would be great!
(2016-02-18, 17:45)fritsch Wrote: Disable mint's compositor.

Alternatively: Log out -> choose kodi session and fine.

Thanks that fixed the tearing.. however now Im getting random hard freeze and I seen in one of your forums that you recommend using a legacy 3.19.1 turbo.. I currently using 4.2(due to requirements for a tuner card. Doesn’t the newer firmware also have the patch already? And also being on a Baytrail... should I be using the open source driver.... the one from 01.org or the one supplied from wsnipex even though the baytrail is to weak to take advantage of its features... Thanks again for any help!
Random hard freezes as pointed out endless, really endless times with your J1900: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-02-19, 10:29)fritsch Wrote: Random hard freezes as pointed out endless, really endless times with your J1900: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051

Sorry guess I should have clarified a bit more.. My C state in the bios has been disabled.. used this workaround a year ago.. however that work around isn't working anymore after fresh installs except open elec 6.0.1.. been on for over 24 hours straight playing different format movies with different encoding and different audio.. hasn't froze one time. However when I try to install Kodi on different distros with different kernals Im getting the freeze issue.. so I guess my real question is..is what openelec doing different... are they running a custom patched kernel.. are they running open source driver.. how is it that Openelc works out of the box but I cant make Kodi work...
OpenELEC ships a patch I did some years ago ... that's it. Same patch is in my 3.19 kernel and btw. also in my 4.4.2 kernel ... but was reported to not work properly there.
(2016-02-19, 23:40)fritsch Wrote: OpenELEC ships a patch I did some years ago ... that's it. Same patch is in my 3.19 kernel and btw. also in my 4.4.2 kernel ... but was reported to not work properly there.

Thanks for all the help.. I was reading the link you posted above and it seems most say 4.1.13 works great so I may give it a try.. If that doesn't work Ill look into how to apply intel_idle.max_cstate=1. Never done a kernel patch.
For J1900 you can also try kernel 3.13.0-52. It works pretty good and is stable. No freezing. I have at-least seen an up-time of 60 days with full hd 1080p playback.
Ok box has been up for over 24 hours now(with cstate on.. my bios is only on or off).. no issues. Here's my simplified solution.

1. Install Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce version
2. Install Ubuntu kernel 4.16
3. Update grub
4. Reboot
5. Install Kodi from stable PPA(Kodi will also create a session called Kodi)
6. Log out and change to Kodi session.. log in.
7. This will stick through reboot and shut down.. until you log back into xfce session.

My little J1900 has been running like a top no tearing or freezing..
Don't install Min 17.3 - it totally sucks for everything kodi related cause of their PulseAudio by default and because of their compositer which kills sync with kodi.

Edit: If you use it from separate sessions it's fine - though PA will stay if you might miss truehd / dtshd
(2016-02-21, 09:10)fritsch Wrote: Don't install Min 17.3 - it totally sucks for everything kodi related cause of their PulseAudio by default and because of their compositer which kills sync with kodi.

Edit: If you use it from separate sessions it's fine - though PA will stay if you might miss truehd / dtshd

Very true on compositer... you can not run Kodi from desktop with compositer enabled or it will tear nonstop.. Using the session is the easiest way around this as it also solves the auto start issue as well. As far as DTSHD goes Im using a usb soundblaster card 5.1 with pulse audio and have played many DTSHD videos with no issues. I'm not using pass-through and I'm only running 5.1 channels.. not 7.1. If there is something in particular that is suppose to be an issues Id love to test it. Now all I need to do on this setup is get my Hauppauge 1955 to work....
We talk about passthrough not pcm output

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel J1900 video tearing --SOLVED0