Problems compiling Kodi for Ubuntu
I'm trying to compile Kodi for Ubuntu, but am having some issues;

I was wondering if the fact that im running Ubuntu inside a VM (VMWare Workstation) would be an issue?
Its virtualised Gfx card is "Gallium 0.4 on SVGA3D".

Otherwise, if compiling inside a VM should be fine - I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
I'm following the instructions here;
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Compile_XBMC_for_Ubuntu

My issue appears to begin with when i try to get the build dependencies.
Quote:sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc
As this is what the output is..
Quote:Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Picking 'kodi' as source package instead of 'xbmc'
E: Unable to find a source package for kodi

I have to admit, I'm fairly new to Linux...
I've been compiling my own xbmc/kodi version for Windows for about 5yrs, but have recently decided to look at changing my HTPC's to running Linux instead of Windows.
There are builds for Ubuntu, in fact it is pretty well the default kodi distro.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-02-20, 08:12)nickr Wrote: There are builds for Ubuntu, in fact it is pretty well the default kodi distro.

If your thinking why i am trying to build/compile, when a kodi built version already exists...
Its the same reason why i built Windows versions - i use a modified Hybrid skin + i want quite a few addons pre-installed.
Outside of my own HTPC's, i also look after HTPC's which ive built for family & friends.
- so by having my own builds, i always had them all running the same version.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...tu#L56-L58
Rainbow 
Thanks wsnipex!

Almost completed compiling - until i discovered the Linux compiling process wont automatically build 'Textures.xbt' (which the Windows compile will). Confused
So hopefully after i build the Textures, i'll have a working build.
thats incorrect, it will build texturepacker and pack the skins. Ofc, the skin must be set up correctly for that to work.
Unfortunately, its still not building;

I built the Textures & placed it in the Media folder... but am now getting the error:
Quote:*** No rule to make target `addons/skin.confluence/media/Makefile.in', needed by `Makefile'.

There is a MakeFile.in file located in the root of the XBMC folder, but im guessing this isn't what its referring to.
Any suggestions?
(2016-02-20, 16:36)wsnipex Wrote: thats incorrect, it will build texturepacker and pack the skins. Ofc, the skin must be set up correctly for that to work.

I believe the skin is set up correctly ~ as i just copied the skin across I used in my Windows builds (and it builds with no issues in Windows).
Is there anything different with Linux?
I have no idea what you are doing without seeing your code. Fact is that kodi builds fine without modifications, including skin packing in confluence, so its on your end.

edit: and ofc course there is a difference between linux and windows, the build system is completely different.
And don't forget to comply with gpl2.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems compiling Kodi for Ubuntu0