Linux Optimized VDPAU drivers?
Hi,

I came across this site when browsing. Was wondering if there's any benefit of installing the "optimized" vdpau drivers from this repo?

Updated and Optimized Open Graphics Drivers

I'm purely using my machine (Zotac AD12 running Ubuntu 15.10, Kodi stable) as media center and looking for ways to tune the system and Kodi for lowest CPU and GPU usage load and more important on idle mode. I thought "better" hardware acceleration may be one way but I'm not so sure if these drivers would do anything but potentially break my system?
What's your experience?

Cheers, End
Try it and see... There's instructions on how to revert the drivers on that page.
Better use Ubuntu 16.04 it has Mesa 11.1 and a recent kernel. With Fabio's ppa you will and might run into continuous breakage daily :-)

The only changes for your old AD12 are: VC-1 simple fixes. The rest does not help you at all in comparison to Ubuntu 15.10.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I am trying Mesa 11.2 with Ubuntu 15.10 and latest mainline kernel 4.4.2. Running without any issues so far.
https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias...ilter=wily
And what are the advantages?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
For me nothing that stands out..Guess it's just in my mind feeling good about running a more recent kernel and mesa with hopefully more bugfixes and maybe even features..(although I probably won't need nor use them).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Optimized VDPAU drivers?0