Kodi to smart TV without using an HDMI cable?
I am getting used to using Kodi on my (Linux powered) PC in the "hobby room" Smile
I can now watch all my media and, with help from members on here, watch the UK's mainstream TV stations (via the net) just fine Smile

However, I am a bit surprised that there seems to be no way to stream content from Kodi to a DNLA type TV (or "box").
All the threads I have read (lots today) say "Use an HDMI cable" Confused

There is/was the MiracleCast project but that seems to have stalled Sad

When I first looked at Kodi (before installing it) I assumed (silly me) that this was one of it's main features.

I can do it (easily) with BubbleUPNP (or Sony's screen mirroring software) from my Andriod phone, so I wonder why no (clever clogs) has written something to release "us" from that long HDMI cable.

Just musing,
John in the middle of the UK.
kodi supports UPNP(DLNA) just fine.
(2016-02-22, 13:38)wsnipex Wrote: kodi supports UPNP(DLNA) just fine.

That is what I thought, I must be doing something wrong Sad
I have setup the UPNP in "Services" as per the instructions I found elsewhere on here.

I have installed it on 2 different laptops and on both, it "sees" my WDTV Live box (gen3) but on attempting to play any file (music, pics, videos) it reports "One or more files failed to play - see log file for details" I use the Kodi log file viewer, and I see errors saying something like (as I cannot cut and paste from it) "CUPnPPlayer:TonguelayFile (my path to my file) failed to find a matching resource"

It also seems to flaky as to whether it "sees" my WDTV Live box (and Sony phone) or not. Sometimes, when I load up Kodi, it does not see it at all when right clicking a file to use "Play using". Sometimes I don't even get a "Play using" option at all to click on.

I get the same as above when trying to push a media file onto my phone via it's Bubble UPNP. The phone however is very reliable at pushing a local file to the WDTV box. Also note that the actual Linux OS "sees" the box reliably and I can send files to the WDTV's hard drive to play using the WDTV's remote control, so it's not a flaky networking issue.

I would like to get the DNLA working with Kodi, but was a bit put off (when I researched) be reading folks saying "just use an HDMI cable", hence the title of this thread!
I think I might have found the (sad) answer to why I cannot seem to stream from Kodi to my WDTV Live box.

I found it in a thread over on a WDTV Live forum HERE
KAD Wrote:no - Kodi does not work with any mips based device

So, unless anyone knows different, it looks like a no go Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi to smart TV without using an HDMI cable?0