Question about hardware
Hello All,

First I should let you know that I'm just learning about Kodi. Before last evening, I'd never heard of it. But after reading some of the information on the homepage, I'm both excited about Kodi, but also concerned whether my initial introduction was actually a legitimate one...

I've been looking around off and on over the last year or so for an alternative to cable or satellite TV, but for some reason don't remember running across any references to Kodi before (at least that I remember). But knowing I've been looking for something, my daughter invited me over last evening to check out the new entertainment system her boy friend just installed for her. It was a little black box with "MHQ" stamped on the top, and a blue diamond on the front that lit up when it was powered on. She's not (or interested in being) very tech savvy, so all she could tell me was that it was called "Kodi". But after scanning through the on-screen settings, I found that it was running on a version of Android.

Curious about the system, I went online this morning to do some research. It didn't take long to finding the Kodi website, but I became concerned when I read the notice on the home page about the unauthorized hardware being sold using the Kodi software. So if possible, I'd like to know if the hardware my daughter has is sanctioned, or was from one of the unauthorized vendors that were mentioned.

After searching online for the hardware, based on the shape of the box and the remote she has, I think the system she has is called the MHQ 850. Is that system OK?

Lastly, I have a question about the Kodi software. If I understand correctly, am I correct in that I could install Kodi on my own hardware (a Windows notebook or home-built HTPC), and use it the same way as an off the shelf "TV box" or "media stick"?

Thanks for your assistance! I look forward to any advise that can be offered.
Yes, you can install Kodi in just about any OS out there, check the Wikis. The one thing you have to remember/know, Kodi does not provide any content.
http://kodi.wiki/
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about hardware0