• 14(current)
v17 [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin
There's a lot to like in this skin, nice work guys.

I would however strongly advise removing that horizontal submenu menu from the homescreen (as pictured in Voochi's post). At the risk of sounding a bit Steve Jobs, It's a pig to navigate, the icons are not clearly representative of their function, and its presence leaves the overall structure of the design out of balance. Have faith in the 80/20 rule :-)
Bitcoin donations: 1Hvo9rWzhAVbuPrshgaGZaD7qcLFTCPuiv
[Skin] Pellucid
[Skin] Maximinimalism
(2016-03-08, 17:25)thedeadman Wrote: There's a lot to like in this skin, nice work guys.

I would however strongly advise removing that horizontal submenu menu from the homescreen (as pictured in Voochi's post). At the risk of sounding a bit Steve Jobs, It's a pig to navigate, the icons are not clearly representative of their function, and its presence leaves the overall structure of the design out of balance. Have faith in the 80/20 rule :-)

Reworkin that part might be something for 2.0.
The current solution might be not perfect, but I disagree that it is that bad to navigate. I had lot of non-tech-savyy testers who confirmed that.
Also, keep in mind that a default skin is a big big compromise. I just cannot leave out core functionality parts, and things have to work an all kind of platforms.

Thx for your feedback though, from what I can remember you (and some other guy named toolpunk) made some of the best UX/UI related posts here on the forums which also influenced how this thing turned out.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
What if horizontal menu could be enabled by navigating to the left while an item on the vertical main menu was highlighted? Either that or you could add it to a context menu.

Edit: "Recently added" should suffice for the home screen. Unwatched movies/episodes could easily be seen from navigating the movies/tv shows list. I think if you moved the Recently Added down to the bottom row, then you could add some air/space on the screen. As it stands now it seems very cramped/cluttered covering the whole screen.
(2016-03-08, 17:31)nooryani84 Wrote: What if horizontal menu could be enabled by navigating to the left while an item on the vertical main menu was highlighted? Either that or you could add it to a context menu.

One of the things which is very consistent in this skin is that by pressing a directional key, the focus really moves into that direction. That's why pressing left on main menu is not attached to any action, because there simply is no element at the left of the main menu. I'd like to stick to these principles so I doubt that this behaviour will change.

Context menu for home is in works, let's see which new options this offers. I didnt investigate that too much yet.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
(2016-03-08, 01:29)phil65 Wrote:
(2016-03-07, 20:44)zaphod24 Wrote: I've also noticed the lack of position information when using info. If I pause, it does tell me position. Also, something else minor... When skipping forward and backward, the popup for current new position is either very fast or non-existent. It was already too fast for my tastes in Confluence.

Loving the new skin!

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9293

Thank you! This was included in the Milhouse builds last night and is working great. It would be good if the info button overlay included current position as Confluence currently does. Even watching recorded TV it does not at present.
"Bravo" for the skinners (Piers ? Phil65 ? ...)

What a refreshing skin !!
Sorry for my english, but, you know, I'm French so ...

Main HTPC : Odroid-C2 running CoreELEC with Titan Bingie
Secondary HTPC : Freebox Mini 4K running Android TV with Titan Bingie
(2016-03-08, 17:36)phil65 Wrote:
(2016-03-08, 17:31)nooryani84 Wrote: What if horizontal menu could be enabled by navigating to the left while an item on the vertical main menu was highlighted? Either that or you could add it to a context menu.

One of the things which is very consistent in this skin is that by pressing a directional key, the focus really moves into that direction. That's why pressing left on main menu is not attached to any action, because there simply is no element at the left of the main menu. I'd like to stick to these principles so I doubt that this behaviour will change.

Context menu for home is in works, let's see which new options this offers. I didnt investigate that too much yet.

I was thinking about the horizontal menu above the recently added. I don't think that necessarily is a very good position and could be hidden by default (or hidden via option) and accessed via the directional key. I won't hammer on about it, as I respect the fact that the designer has the final say. Just giving my opinion here. Do you think we could drop the Unwatched section? I don't know how many people want this, though I would like the ability to disable it on the home screen.
hi,

this might be an kodi issue:
if there is no cached version (like going into addons -> video addons and start the addon before), kodi is crashing when i click on a shortcut in the homemenu. (error: exception caught on main loop)
debug log: http://xbmclogs.com/pc9bzpk5m

thanks for the new skins though. the time you have spent there was definitely worth it. i really appreciate it.
When will it be merged with Krypton?
(2016-03-08, 19:00)Japaja Wrote: When will it be merged with Krypton?

It is already merged.
This is amazing work Phil and team. I especially liked Nate's smoooooth sooooothing voice in the preview video. Rofl

I took up skinning because the skins out there weren't doing what I wanted them to. However this seems to take all the ideas I had with my skin and more and put them into a much more visually appealing package.

Well done. I can't wait to get home and get chance to try it... and mod it. Big Grin

Again - nice work

Cheers,

~Raze
This looks like a great replacement for Confluence. I'd like to throw in my vote for keeping the efficient vertical menu structure--- scrolling across giant buttons horizontally on the screen was so unappealing to me it motivated me to go with the Transparency! theme, which I have used for a few years now.
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 21, 13th-gen i7, 32gb RAM, nVidia RTX 4090
Looks fantastic, very clean, organized and super fast!

Great job!! Smile
(2016-03-08, 15:45)RMP888 Wrote:
(2016-03-08, 14:37)voochi Wrote: Wall view (and banner view) animation (highlighted poster slides to left and box appears beside it) is gimmicky and disconcerting. Posters slithering around when I just want to scroll down through the list. Seems like including an animation just for the sake of it.

I found the appearance of the box next to posters disconcerting as well and while there are probably associated benefits, i would second an option to disable it.

same
(2016-03-07, 02:28)Piers Wrote:
(2016-03-06, 23:32)Gregoire Wrote:
(2016-03-06, 21:58)Piers Wrote: Info provides information. I don't see the problem with it. It could do with a little bit of a redesign, but the functions are what should be displayed there.

Okay. I actually meant something different although at first it sounds similar. When I select a movie, I can read the plot by selecting and clicking "read more..". This pops up in nice big letters which I like a lot. I've been searching for a way to access it directly (map a remote control key) but it proves a bit of a challenge for me. That's all.

Why can't you just use DPAD to access it?

It's highly likely that I'll remove that part as it's not needed, moveinformation displays all the info and the plot is on the right. Having an additional button is clutter.

You don't need to add an extra button. I just need the code that is already there to map it to a remote control key to show the info in big letters.
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin9