• 15(current)
v17 [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin
Great job
Simply put... WOW! This skin has totally won over me, my wife and daughter. I installed it on a test machine and now they want it on ALL the TV's in the house. I tried to explain it's still in an Alpha state, but non the less they want it. Great work!

Also, I disagree about hiding or moving the horizontal menu. The layout is perfect, easy to navigate, select and move around. The menu's are intuitive and everything runs as smooth as silk.

Again, great work... Thank you for all your hard work!
XBMC PVR Addon Unofficial Builds for Frodo Nightly Builds.
http://www.dotnetdevelopers.net/xbmc
what exactly does "slide animations" do? i turn it on/off and everything looks the same not sure exactly what it is supposed to do and where.
(2016-03-09, 01:49)mazey Wrote: what exactly does "slide animations" do? i turn it on/off and everything looks the same not sure exactly what it is supposed to do and where.

it should be quite obvious when de-activating it and browsing through some windows afterwards.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
Btw thx for all the nice comments. Since skins are also quite a matter of taste we really have expected much worse.
This makes us confident that we´re on the right track.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
we love it, we really do, its just abit of nit picking (yeah personal preference) but just yesterday i was actually finding if a bug was skin related or nightly related so i went back to confluence to test and i was like omg this looks so bad, then i did my test it was nightly related Smile, and went back to estuary and felt i jumped to the future. its just so much better its like it was designed 20 years from now. thanks for all the hard work. btw can we really really get first aired removed from ontop of the plot in list view LOL Tongue
(2016-03-08, 17:04)phil65 Wrote: That is a matter on how much emphasis you want to put on the submenu. Estuary obviously shifts focus to the widget part quite a bit, as you might have noticed.
Concerning your mockup, putting stuff at the screen edges (with the description label missing) and moving buttons into the bottom frame is not what I would call intuitive either.
If you take a step back and reduce things as much as possible then the main menu basically only consists of two elements: One vertical list at the left and one grid at the right (which includes the submenu)

And hey, if you disagree and feel this is not intuitive, feel free to switch skins. Wink

Positioning of elements relative to the screen edge and so forth was not intended to be exact/correct. It was just two minute thing with mspaint. Point was just to show that the sub-menu could be positioned close to it's parent and oriented the same way. That's how most skins handle it. Whether the sub-menu consists of icons or text labels or whatever...those are finer details for another discussion.

Regarding missing description labels - you have four icons in a horizontal row under the main menu. They don't have description labels.

I don't see any issue with power button on bottom frame...many OS put power button in some corner of the screen. Again, main point was to show we don't need lots of separate elements with all these different orientations. Is there a reason why power button would be grouped in a row with something like favorites? Favorites is library navigation, power is a system control. They are unrelated and I can't see any reason to group them.

File manager icon on home screen seems unnecessary also...is it a regularly used feature for the average user? I don't think so, but now I need to skip over it to get to the power icon (which is regularly used. Clutter.
instead of file manager, settings, bookmarks, power

i would prefer bookmarks, system info, settings, power. (or even bookmarks, file manager, settings, power)

and add-ons should replace skin settings in settings page (i have the addons tab hidden its ugly as hell with system addons on android most of the thumbs are just grey), since skin settings are in appearance.
(2016-03-09, 03:30)voochi Wrote:
(2016-03-08, 17:04)phil65 Wrote: That is a matter on how much emphasis you want to put on the submenu. Estuary obviously shifts focus to the widget part quite a bit, as you might have noticed.
Concerning your mockup, putting stuff at the screen edges (with the description label missing) and moving buttons into the bottom frame is not what I would call intuitive either.
If you take a step back and reduce things as much as possible then the main menu basically only consists of two elements: One vertical list at the left and one grid at the right (which includes the submenu)

And hey, if you disagree and feel this is not intuitive, feel free to switch skins. Wink

Positioning of elements relative to the screen edge and so forth was not intended to be exact/correct. It was just two minute thing with mspaint. Point was just to show that the sub-menu could be positioned close to it's parent and oriented the same way. That's how most skins handle it. Whether the sub-menu consists of icons or text labels or whatever...those are finer details for another discussion.

Regarding missing description labels - you have four icons in a horizontal row under the main menu. They don't have description labels.

I don't see any issue with power button on bottom frame...many OS put power button in some corner of the screen. Again, main point was to show we don't need lots of separate elements with all these different orientations. Is there a reason why power button would be grouped in a row with something like favorites? Favorites is library navigation, power is a system control. They are unrelated and I can't see any reason to group them.

File manager icon on home screen seems unnecessary also...is it a regularly used feature for the average user? I don't think so, but now I need to skip over it to get to the power icon (which is regularly used. Clutter.
Favourites is not neccessarily library navigation. It can contain basically everything and is also used for system functions by lot of people. Which is one of the reasons why we surely wont be able to please everyone since everyone uses Kodi in a different way.
File manager will probably get replaced with Event log once the settings reshuffle is merged. Remember that this is still alpha.

As already said: Be happy and switch skins. Things are nailed for most parts now so there is no sense in arguing about the general structure. Considering the feedback in this thread and in other social channels, we probably were not too bad with our decision-making for most parts I would say.

We still have confluence in our repo. If that suits you more, go for it.
Thumbs Up 
Congrats to all who worked on this skin. I'm a convert.

Fresh, modern, unfussy and ticks loads of boxes with very few settings. ☑
(2016-03-06, 10:26)Razze Wrote:
(2016-03-06, 10:05)dsenseb Wrote: i really like the design!

but i cant seem to find a view in movies/series where i could see extra info about the video like it was in confluence.
info like 3D, 1080p, DTS dissappeared after upgrading...

am i missing something?

I think you need to head to the skin settings, there is a setting for that there. I think it's right below the skin selection setting.
It's pretty easy to miss, but that will hopefully be changed soon.

yeah, found the setting. thx.
But all my info is lost since the update to estuary.
Is there a option in kodi to scan for this info rather then to have to play the videos for an instant before i can see which resoltion/audio tracks/aspect ratio it has?
On point chaps, well done.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
If you take file manager away from the home screen, I'll never use this skin lol

And I already told u how much I love it.

Also this seems to work only with 1080p. On my 1680 monitor, the pictures are either stretched or don't fit.
the white font and selected overlay in all theme colors is a bit hard to see from a distance on tv, do you think we can get a few more skin options for theme/font colors or have roll over colors that are easier to see from the couch/tv?
I do love the skin!

At first I was a bit sceptical, but the YouTube video convinced me.
I'm testing it now, and except for some small things (I've made feature requests for those), it's awesome!.
It's way better than Confluence (which is quite dated).
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin9