Linux Linux Kernel
What is best stable Linux Kernel for KodiBuntu/Chromebox?

Currently running 3.19

Thanks!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Define "best", I suspect - how and why. Kernels typically introduce new features and/or driver support, but if you're not using those then there's little need to use anything other than the latest provided by the security repos IMO. I run my sever on 3.19 as that's what the LTS enablement stack on 14.04 is pushing out - but my clients are OpenElec, so they're on 4.something.
I mean stable
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
Anything 4.3 or above
(2016-03-02, 21:57)Matt Devo Wrote: Anything 4.3 or above

Thanks!
I upgraded my KodiBuntu 14.04.3 base to 4.4.0 with good success on my ChromeBox. I was having a lot of freezing issues, and about every other boot/reboot something with the USB drivers would go screwy resulting in no mouse/keyboard/remote activity. I updated the kernel to 4.4 and haven't had a single problem since (except for the first boot there was a kernel panic, added acpi=off to GRUB just for the next boot, everything fine thereafter).
Just out of interest, what problems are you getting on 3.19? I'm not aware of any on my Xubuntu box, so it's a genuine enquiry... I'm an "if it ain't broke" kind of guy when it comes to core system components...!
(2016-03-02, 23:02)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Just out of interest, what problems are you getting on 3.19? I'm not aware of any on my Xubuntu box, so it's a genuine enquiry... I'm an "if it ain't broke" kind of guy when it comes to core system components...!

pretty sure 3.19 has the ACPI/fan speed bug on resume from suspend, which is fixed in 4.4 (I think - I know OE has backported the patches).
(2016-03-02, 23:02)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Just out of interest, what problems are you getting on 3.19? I'm not aware of any on my Xubuntu box, so it's a genuine enquiry... I'm an "if it ain't broke" kind of guy when it comes to core system components...!

Frame Interpolation (Soap Opera effect) and animated poster gifs are not working.
Thanks, chaps. Not something that impacts me (for the moment), but it's interesting to know!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux Kernel0