Solved Why no RK support (Rockchip)?
Buy something supported like an RPi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I like it general android support is better

We dont get windows versions for a certain generation of intel chip etc.
(2016-03-08, 00:10)deaded Wrote:
(2016-03-07, 16:10)danjames92 Wrote:
(2016-03-07, 02:12)deaded Wrote: But I do want my refresh rate thing fixed for movies

Your box manufacturer being lazy is to blame. Not Kodi.

Yeah, yeah, I got that. Everyone keeps telling me that. It does't help. I'm not going to buy another IDROIDNATION box, but I'd still like to figure out how I can get my video to play smoothly.

Learn your lesson and buy a supported product. If you don't believe me, see here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=263283
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
(2016-03-08, 01:18)danjames92 Wrote:
(2016-03-08, 00:10)deaded Wrote:
(2016-03-07, 16:10)danjames92 Wrote: Your box manufacturer being lazy is to blame. Not Kodi.

Yeah, yeah, I got that. Everyone keeps telling me that. It does't help. I'm not going to buy another IDROIDNATION box, but I'd still like to figure out how I can get my video to play smoothly.

Learn your lesson and buy a supported product. If you don't believe me, see here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=263283

I hope that's a joke (since it's my post)!
Smile
Lmaoooo @danjames82 , actually made me laugh (@deaded - I think he was trying to be funny with you).

@nickr;
I dont believe saying "buy something supported like the RPi" is good enough. Some of us want more performance, specifically with Android.
I think Kodi should communicate with RK, and try to find a solution, for the better.
Many of us LOVE the RK chips (for so many different reasons - mainly performance). Both Kodi and RK should put an effort to come to a solution, in my opinion.
It is definitely RK's problem, and RK's fault - but Kodi (to support and make its userbase happy) should try and push for a resolution - Im certain RK would be happy to work with Kodi.
Also doesnt help with the recent thing with Koying leaving Android development.... Things can only go downhill from here, even with AML devices.

Also, @deaded - its not good to slander a company or box, simply because it doesnt have auto refresh rate. (unless they advertised auto refresh rate, and it came NOT AS DESCRIBED) - other than that, it is your fault for not asking the question to the company. How do you assume that it has auto refresh rate if the company did not state that? I really think you should edit the title of your other post, seriously.
It appears there are many good reviews (the reason why you purchased it) - because all of those people who left a review, dont care about auto refresh rate.
It is now pretty general knowledge that RK chipsets do not support auto refresh rate (only for now, I hope). So you should have done your research.
Even the MINIX Z64 does not support auto refresh rate (even though they advertise it, it doesnt work - last time i checked).
But the MINIX X8H Plus DOES support auto refresh rate.

Example: Its like me buying a tronsmart box and then making a post saying "DONT BUY TRONSMART. IT DOESNT SUPPORT 4K NETFLIX OR HD NETFLIX. LIMITED TO 480P".
Not really nice, since the company never advertised what you are complaining about.
But ITS GOOD that you are making others aware of the problem (im just saying, youve gone about it in the wrong way. There is other ways to mention this issue).

For people who dont care about auto refresh rates (but care about having the RK3288 with full compatibility and passthrough with Kodi), please see this post:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2266908
Quote:@nickr;
I dont believe saying "buy something supported like the RPi" is good enough. Some of us want more performance, specifically with Android.

Well buy something supported like Wetek Core. Or nVidia whatever it is.

But the reason RPi is supported is because they do help team kodi and vice versa. RK don't seem to. Christ it appears they don't even answer support requests. How can anyone work with a.holes like that?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Support Support Support.

Its why the "Pick the Right Kodi Box" only lists devices and SoC's from sellers and manufacturers that work with the Kodi devs and end users to provide proper support.

It is not up to any of the Kodi developers to approach chipset or box manufacturers and seek out support for their Hardware, so more devices can then be sold to increase the Kodi userbase.

If these Android SoC manufacturers want Kodi support from this point onwards, as Martijn said it has to be done through standard Google Android API's. Exactly like the nVIDIA Shield has been doing for 6 months now

Rockchip only have themselves to blame for not working with XBMC / Kodi years ago.
Individual seller Forks of Kodi is the best you can hope for with Rockchip devices currently.

AML devices will be supported going forwards into Krypton. HD Audio Passthrough code for AML has already been plugged into Kodi Krypton development versions that run on decent AML Android Lollipop Firmware. The amcodec decoder is currently being re-written for Krypton as well.

(2016-03-08, 00:25)nickr Wrote: Buy something supported like an RPi.

RPi is nice but useless as media center. Laggy and slow as hell.
Maybe manufacturer should pay to be supported by Kodi? Any other will be meant as "pirate box that killing Kodi"?
No, they just have to realize that there are standards, and that making their internal player work is not enough to be relevant in today's market.

Obviously, spending more on engineering would make their boxes more expensive, though, which would make those Chinese boxes even less relevant Wink
That sounds reasonable. However, usually also 3rd party apps, like MX Player work fine on every chinese box, including cheap old rockchip or mtk. Do mx player developers really care about many specific hacks? It's hard to believe.
(2016-03-08, 10:29)giaur Wrote: Do mx player developers really care about many specific hacks? It's hard to believe.

That's for them to answer...
(2016-03-08, 08:42)giaur Wrote:
(2016-03-08, 00:25)nickr Wrote: Buy something supported like an RPi.

RPi is nice but useless as media center. Laggy and slow as hell.

Half-True in regards to the Raspberry Pi 1 ... Laggy, Yes

Slow as hell, No (try a WDTV if you want to see slow as hell and useless)

Completely Untrue on all accounts to the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3
(2016-03-08, 12:04)SeVreN2013 Wrote: Completely Untrue on all accounts to the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3
Android? Completly untrue? I don't think so. Rockchip on zidoo x6 pro (for example) is much more powerful. Pi still uses armv6, big wtf. There are many things you can use pi for but I don't think media center is on of them. This is pain. Maybe you can run openelec on Rpi 3, accept some lags and use it. But, the best thing for tv box is still Android.

Pi has great support and very good software. But lack of performance. Chinese boxes have lack of support and very good perfromance. Well, it seems we can't have both. OrangePI - chinese Rpi clone is much better hardware, but again - very poor software.
The Pi2 and Pi3 are quad core ARM V7, not V6. It's only the single core ones (Pi1 and Pi Zero) which are ARMV6.

Both run Kodi just fine via OE or OSMC (or even under Raspbian if you really must). I'd suggest you update your experience on them, as it sounds like you're working off very outdated knowledge.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why no RK support (Rockchip)?1