Kodi Jarvis not creating a new Database on MariaDB on Synology
I have been having issues with getting Jarvis to work on my centralised database setup which has been working flawlessly for sometime now. The issue is when Jarvis starts up for the first time, it hangs on the splash screen and would it not go any further. After much stuffing around with the 'advancesettings' file and 'sources' files to name a few, I stumbled on how to get it work/fix. Simply 'drop' the old database on your NAS and let Jarvis build a fresh copy from scratch. With old database dropped, Jarvis happily starts up and will create and new database for you once you load your source locations.

So there appears to be some sort of import error of the old database when it attempts to create the new one. Without the old there, it just creates a new one from scratch I guess.

Hopefully this helps someone else who may come across this problem.
It's a bit drastic, something like throwing a way a pet and buy a new one instead of going to the vet with it. It's a good suggestion as a last resort though.
If you want to keep your existing data, exporting the database to individual files before dropping the database might be an option and as a precaution you can also just rename the database instead of dropping. That way you keep the old one in case you need to get some data back.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
What mariadb are you using? Some are a bit buggy.
Also it can sometimes take hours to upgrade, especially on large databases. I have some 15k files and it did take a while. Let it sit over night and don't do anything after starting. Since it can create a new one, it is most likely not the version but you never know.

Instead of just dropping i would suggest a backup first. Or installing a second instance of your DB System. Just make sure only one is running.
It would even start the update process. I thing it hung on attempting to convert the db.

Not sure if it is drastic step to drop the previous db, kodi seems to build a new db fairly quickly. It only took maybe 20 minutes to complete for about 5 TB of mixed video and audio files. As is stated before it is for the people that cannot get past the hung splash screen and probably unique to MariaDB on Synology NAS.
There are some issues with mariaDB and Kodi 16. See this thread forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=260568 for details of which versions work correctly, and the bug encountered.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2016-03-08, 09:48)black_eagle Wrote: There are some issues with mariaDB and Kodi 16. See this thread forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=260568 for details of which versions work correctly, and the bug encountered.

As I understand it, on Synology NAS you have to take what Synology offers. If they are still on the old version, so are you, or am i mixing up NAS here?
(2016-03-08, 11:33)Sionzris Wrote: As I understand it, on Synology NAS you have to take what Synology offers. If they are still on the old version, so are you, or am i mixing up NAS here?

No idea. I simply know that there are versions of MariaDB that throw errors with Kodi's MySQL syntax, even though that syntax is correct. FWIW I don't run MariaDB, rather MySQL 5.5.47 .

Debug log of course would show if that is/was the issue.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Jarvis not creating a new Database on MariaDB on Synology0