• 62(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
People recommend getting a wireless remote for the Play2 but what are the advantages over an IR remote.

I know it will have better range and be none directional, but do you get any extra commands etc.
LG OLED C7, Marantz SR7010, Panasonic BD35, Logitech Elite, Virgin V6, Mission 752, Mission 75C, Wharfedall 9.0, BK XLS200 Mk 2, iPhone 6S, Synology 214Play, Wetek Play2 with LibreELEC 8.2.3, Mede8er MED600X3D, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV 4K, NowTV, Airport Extremes
Better responsiveness when using the media player.
No Missed button presses, and if you get a Wireless Air Mouse remote like the MINIX A2 Lite with a Mini Keyboard, you can use a bunch of Kodi keyboard shortcuts to directly access Kodi functions.

The Play2 remote has rubbish Air mouse functionality, it really is poor. You actually need to purchase a seperate Wireless Air mouse remote to use tablet Android Apps properly anyway. Even then some users find this Air mouse nonsense a PITA . Same issue as all tablet based Android OS platforms.

It's the reason why non-tech users prefer the easier Android TV interface and its properly designed for TV Apps. No PITA Air Mice needed there.
At least with the Play2 you can flash a pretty decent unofficial Android TV ROM if you so choose or simply use LibreELEC.

(2017-06-15, 12:17)wrxtasy Wrote: Better responsiveness when using the media player.
No Missed button presses, and if you get a Wireless Air Mouse remote like the MINIX A2 Lite with a Mini Keyboard, you can use a bunch of Kodi keyboard shortcuts to directly access Kodi functions.

The Play2 remote has rubbish Air mouse functionality, it really is poor. You actually need to purchase a seperate Wireless Air mouse remote to use tablet Android Apps properly anyway. Even then some users find this Air mouse nonsense a PITA . Same issue as all tablet based Android OS platforms.

It's the reason why non-tech users prefer the easier Android TV interface and its properly designed for TV Apps. No PITA Air Mice needed there.
At least with the Play2 you can flash a pretty decent unofficial Android TV ROM if you so choose or simply use LibreELEC.

Thanks for that wrxtasy, i use the LibreELEC which works very well.
LG OLED C7, Marantz SR7010, Panasonic BD35, Logitech Elite, Virgin V6, Mission 752, Mission 75C, Wharfedall 9.0, BK XLS200 Mk 2, iPhone 6S, Synology 214Play, Wetek Play2 with LibreELEC 8.2.3, Mede8er MED600X3D, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV 4K, NowTV, Airport Extremes
Between the new official firmware WeOS v3.1 and the unofficial Android TV v1.1 of Ricardo, which is better?
What is more stable, this or the hub?

My use will be libreelec and android for netflix 1080p with 5.1.
Better wait for new Ricardo mod . I think will be much better
(2017-06-16, 11:40)zbigzbig20 Wrote: Better wait for new Ricardo mod . I think will be much better
Tanks.
If you look at what the Hub is offering with MM Firmware and @Ricardo's Android TV ROM, you will have a good idea what is coming.
The addition will be a TvHeadend server to take advantage of the inbuilt ATSC / DVB tuner.

If only the Play2 would have come with Dual independent TV Tuners....

EDIT,

@Ricardo has put out another outstanding ATV ROM release, our bug busting has really paid off.

Click - [ROM] [Marshmallow] Android TV v2.2 for WeTek Play2

Features
  • (4K) Netflix installable direct from ATV Play Store, as are all other ATV Apps.
  • All included Widewine DRM and HDCP 2.2 still works.
  • Includes TvHeadend server, that uses the inbuilt ATSC / DVB - TV Tuners (WeTV is not supported)
  • High quality, Advanced Motion Adaptive - Hardware deinterlacing for TV use, in both SPMC and Android TV Live Channels.
  • Inbuilt Telnet server (root access)
  • Inbuilt FTP server, drag and drop files easily to external USB storage.
  • HD audio passthrough works correctly in apps like Kodi, SPMC, Plex etc
  • DTS-HD is automatically downgraded to DTS if your AVR doesn't support it (except in Kodi)
  • Dolby Digital Plus is automatically downgraded to Dolby Digital if your AVR doesn't support it (except in Kodi)
  • This way, people can still enjoy DD 5.1 Netflix audio without a DD+ supported AVR / TV / Soundbar.
  • 5.1 Netflix audio works through S/PDIF
  • Flawless Kodi dynamic refresh rate switching in Krypton and SPMC.
  • Beautifully smooth Kodi Krypton / SPMC video playback for all video fps combos.
  • Supports USB microphones
  • Voice search works with usb Mic's and the Android TV remote app (Android, iOS)
  • WeTek Core Remote works out of the box, including the Mic.
  • Xiaomi Mi Box BT remote works out of the box, including the power button - Sleep / Wake (Mic. doesn't work yet).
  • Sideload Apps Launcher included
  • Power button at the bottom of the launcher
  • Can start apps on boot.
  • Easy Reboot to TWRP / Android recovery.
  • Firmware can be rooted with SuperSU.
  • X-plore replaces the default file manager of WeOS
  • Remove AMLogic Movie Player app
  • Aptoide alternative Apps store included.
  • Dual Boot to LibreELEC Kodi still available.

Because this is an unofficial ATV release there are no Chromecasting certificates installed, so not very many Chromecasting features will work. However even on officially licensed Android TV platforms Chrome/Google casting can be unreliable

2GB RAM on the Play2 vs 1GB on the WeTek Hub results in a more fluid, slightly faster ATV in day to day operation.
The Marshmallow Play2 is not a slow device, especially when combined with a Wireless remote.

What is really pleasing is WeTek's Marshmallow Firmware with Kodi dynamic refresh rate switching works superbly now that its been bug busted, plus this ROM still retains Amcodec Hardware acceleration for high quality, reliable TV deinterlacing when using Kodi/SPMC (Jarvis) and the TvH PVR client.

Its really nice having a pre-packaged TvHeadend server to be able to use the inbuilt TV tuners. You can use the TvH App to watch TV with Android TV's - Live Channels as well.

This is the best Android Marshmallow Firmware I've used across a number of devices because all the Kodi features work properly, on Netflix approved Hardware that includes the correct supporting DRM and HDCP certificates.
ATV Netflix and 5.1 Audio works well, even with only basic DD/AC3 only capable TV / Soundbar / AVR's.

Three thumbs up !

W. Smile

Hi wrxtasy,

Maybe a stupid question but why is kodi/spmc still Jarvis?

Is there already spmc krypton?
Amcodec Hardware acceleration was removed from Android Kodi Krypton, everything now uses Mediacodec.

The TvHeadend PVR viewing client on all Android platforms when using Android Kodi Krypton is unreliable, hardware decoding breaks every 2nd TV channel change and when it does work deinterlacing is only half motion. So Avoid it.

SPMC/FTMC/Kodi Jarvis v16.x still has reliable Amcodec hardware acceleration and produces nice high quality hardware deinterlacing when using the TvHeadend PVR.

@Koying currently has SPMC 17.x (Krypton) under development. Not sure if it will still retain Amcodec or not.

If I remember correctly - Ricardo is using Amcodec hardware acceleration and deinterlacing in this ROM for Android TV - Live Channels + TvH Beta as well. Smile

Updated Play2 - Android Marshmallow - TvHeadend server - Mini review in Post #1

Very nice mini review wrxtasy!

Is it possible to get hyperion to work with atv for wetekplay2? so i can wacht netflix with ambilight?

Or is hyperion only working with kodi?
This might be a silly question, but any reason to get a tuner with the WeTeK Play2? I ask because it says WeTV wont work. But from my understanding I should change the software anyway so wont ever be used?
WeTV works as out of the box but its buggy, the EPG does not work properly, hard to configure and frankly its a confusing unfriendly App vs patching the Firmware and using a TvHeadend server with SPMC (Jarvis).

You can buy a WeTek Play2 without a tuner and it will still work properly, you do not need to use WeTV or a TvHeadend server.
Yes I would still patch the WeOS 3.1 Firmware or simply nuke it completely and just use Android TV.

@Pienoet, no idea about Hyperion.

Thanks wrxtasy, totally left field but my partner loves her SNES for street fighter II am I able to replace the SNES and use the Wetek somehow? Ill obviously have to buy some controllers. This is hardly critical but would be a pleasant surprise.
  • 62(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11