• 19(current)
Android HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)
My review is up (in dutch)

https://home-theater.be/topic/1717-himed...ro-review/

http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic=157587.0

i did see banding in ant man too
i also got a movie oblivion, which didnt play at all:

(2016-04-21, 19:47)BigPines Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 19:24)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 19:10)movie78 Wrote: Example 1 2 3 , I am seeing the same thing on the NUC DN2820 with ANT-MAN
Whaaat?! I never noticed that when watching 'Ant-Man' 3D originally on HiMedia Q5. Would be a trip if it's in the actual movie! See my video here... definitely there from the 00:18:08 timestamp (in my video, not 'Ant-Man') onward.

@toro1977, #1 and 2 on your list, I've not had those issues. I stream from a NAS, not attached or internal storage. #3 and 4 may be a permissions issue. But, none relate to video playback/performance. You may want to ask in the nVidia Shield thread.
Guys, are you seeing this with your glasses on or only when they are off? All I can make out in that video is the standard 3D offset between the left and right eyes. Of course, that is normal. Are you seeing something else?

i did see this in 2d also
(2016-04-21, 20:53)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 17:54)BigPines Wrote: One thing I should point out is that the external player is always processing the image even after disabling Imprex. I found that both whites and blacks are crushed even with Imprex off and image settings set to standard. So unfortunately, there is no true pass-through available on the device as it is always altering the image. I reported this problem to Himedia during the pre-production testing and I have confirmed the problem exists on the production hardware as well. The work-around I found was to turn off all Imprex options and set Brightness to 66 and Contrast to 43. This eliminates crushing on both blacks and whites. I used a test pattern from Digital Video Essentials to confirm this.
When you say crushing black and white are you referring to clipping of 0-15 and 236-255? If so, only Linux x86 Kodi on Intel Graphics with patched passthrough driver from @fritsch/@lmyllari will allow BTB and WTW, not on Android devices (so far I have tested) or Pi2. On Windows, you can get it with RGB full in driver and limited in Kodi. The only problem is picture will look washed out. You can get also it to work with madVR, MPDN etc.

Brightness/Contrast settings will be specific for your setup.
It may be semantics. My understanding of clipping is when detail information is being permanently lost due to something in the video chain. Once it is lost, it cannot be recovered. That is not what is happening. Instead, the blacks are being crushed but the detail is still there and can be brought out by using the correct settings on the Q10 Pro which I mentioned above (as opposed to changing the settings on the display). Whites are also crushed by default but can be corrected by using the settings. This is what I meant by crushed. I mean a loss of detail at either end of the spectrum (in this case, both ends) which can be compensated for by using a particular setting on the device itself (not the display). If one were to change the settings on the display, all other sources would be displayed incorrectly so that is an unacceptable solution.

I don't know what is causing the issue I am seeing but I think you may be talking about something different. For instance, there was a slight problem with the Kodi DVD player but it was very slight. I am thinking that MAY be what you are talking about. When using the external Himedia player, however, the blacks were severely crushed. It is so bad, it is difficult to see what is going on in dark scenes. White has the same problem but to a slightly lesser degree. So, I know the Himedia player software is modifying the video regardless of the Imprex settings. That was my whole point.

Brightness / Contrast on the display will be specific to a particular display. However, once a display has been calibrated to the standard, if there is still a problem, it is in the playback device. I believe the Q10 Pro settings should be the same to get those devices to conform to any display which has been calibrated to the standard.
(2016-04-21, 22:02)Skank Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 19:47)BigPines Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 19:24)hdmkv Wrote: Whaaat?! I never noticed that when watching 'Ant-Man' 3D originally on HiMedia Q5. Would be a trip if it's in the actual movie! See my video here... definitely there from the 00:18:08 timestamp (in my video, not 'Ant-Man') onward.

@toro1977, #1 and 2 on your list, I've not had those issues. I stream from a NAS, not attached or internal storage. #3 and 4 may be a permissions issue. But, none relate to video playback/performance. You may want to ask in the nVidia Shield thread.
Guys, are you seeing this with your glasses on or only when they are off? All I can make out in that video is the standard 3D offset between the left and right eyes. Of course, that is normal. Are you seeing something else?

Well that changes everything. I'll try to reproduce it here. Sad
(2016-04-21, 22:10)BigPines Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 22:02)Skank Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 19:47)BigPines Wrote: Guys, are you seeing this with your glasses on or only when they are off? All I can make out in that video is the standard 3D offset between the left and right eyes. Of course, that is normal. Are you seeing something else?

but for me , it looked more like it was just jumping from complete 16:9 to less 16:9 but with a black bar
you know what i mean?
it didnt look like a bar inside the picture, but just, it got cut off a bar width
That sucks... so it seems the issue is NOT w/'Ant-Man' the 3D movie anyway.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-04-21, 22:12)Skank Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 22:10)BigPines Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 22:02)Skank Wrote: i did see this in 2d also

but for me , it looked more like it was just jumping from complete 16:9 to less 16:9 but with a black bar
you know what i mean?
it didnt look like a bar inside the picture, but just, it got cut off a bar width
So you are saying you watched Ant Man 3D in 2D and saw the width of the picture changing and moving around on the sides? If so, this is normal. It is how 3D works. If you watched a 2D movie and saw something strange on the edges - Houston, we have a problem.
(2016-04-21, 22:16)BigPines Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 22:12)Skank Wrote:
(2016-04-21, 22:10)BigPines Wrote: Well that changes everything. I'll try to reproduce it here. Sad

you know what i mean?
So you are saying you watched Ant Man 3D in 2D and saw the width of the picture changing and moving around on the sides? If so, this is normal. It is how 3D works. If you watched a 2D movie and saw something strange on the edges - Houston, we have a problem.

yes i watched ant man 3d movie but in 2d
no this is not normal at all
i dont have this with Q5 or intel nuc
its not moving its jumping
it is there, then its gone
then its back
gone again

its not normal !
strange oblivion didnt play either, works perfect on A5/m3/ intel nuc
Sorry Shank. I don't understand what you are describing then.

Do you ever see the problem on a strictly 2D movie? Do you see it on any movie other than Ant Man?
(2016-04-21, 22:31)BigPines Wrote: Sorry Shank. I don't understand what you are describing then.

Do you ever see the problem on a strictly 2D movie? Do you see it on any movie other than Ant Man?

No never saw this.
Just try ant man 3d movie, beginning .. But switch to 2d mode
You will see
Thanks. I'll try it tonight.
Just re-tested and the issue is definitely there. Happens in other movies, but 'Ant-Man' is just a good test... just play the first 2 minutes. In 3D mode, it's tinted vertical bands on left/right edges. Switch to 2D mode as @Skank mentioned, and those tinted bands become black... giving almost a window-boxing effect. Pretty serious issue.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Yeah, I see it too. Sad I compared the disc in my BD player to the ISO of the same disc in the Q10 Pro. The BD player isn't showing the gaps on the side edges or the black bars on the top and bottom because it is definitely overscanning the image. There is definitely less visible image on the edges of the picture all the way around on the BD player. This surprises me. BD players must have a rule to overscan 3D discs a certain amount. I didn't know that. I guess Himedia could just employ a certain amount of overscan for 3D films whether they are being watched in 2D or 3D so it would be consistent with the behavior of a BD player. I also noticed the image from the Q10 has less color and looks washed out compared to the BD. That may be related to what wesk05 was saying above or yet another bug in the external player. I will have to do more testing to figure that out. I will also test the legacy Q10 and pre-production units to see how they handled the issue.
SMB playback within Kodi is not working...
When i start the movie all i see is HIMEDIAPLAYER sign on top right side of the screen
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)8