Req Automatically configure audio from EDID
The EDID data contained in an HDMI signal contains appropriate audio settings for the connected device. This could be used to automatically configure Kodi for DTS support, AC3, etc.

The Sound control panel in Windows will show you what is supported so I'd think that DirectSound or WSAPI would have that information accessible and then Kodi could automatically enable/disable the HD audio codecs and channels automatically.
(2016-03-29, 14:57)SofaKng Wrote: The EDID data contained in an HDMI signal contains appropriate audio settings for the connected device. This could be used to automatically configure Kodi for DTS support, AC3, etc.

The Sound control panel in Windows will show you what is supported so I'd think that DirectSound or WSAPI would have that information accessible and then Kodi could automatically enable/disable the HD audio codecs and channels automatically.
 I know this is an old post, but seriously, why can't this be automated? I have been fighting with Kodi audio since day one, and it's really wearing me down!  If you get one setting wrong in the "magic formula" of the Kodi Audio settings, then you end up stuck with passthrough, that isn't, well, passed through.  Can't there just be an "auto" setting, that sets everything based on the EDID data, and then the ability to override that if you uncheck auto?
EDID data often lies big time
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-11-25, 19:27)Martijn Wrote: EDID data often lies big time
My 4K TV's EDID changes if 'HDMI UHD Color' is enabled or not for the given input.  Without it the EDID lies and says the input does not support 4K@60 but if you force feed it 4K@60 it totally runs it.  As near as I can tell, that function literally ONLY changes the EDID on the TV and doesn't actually 'change' anything.
 And as I said, in those cases, you uncheck "auto" and there's all the settings. I would say that the vast majority of the time EDID (especially when it comes to audio capabilities) doesn't "lie".  So why make the majority have to constantly "fiddle" with the audio settings to get the best audio their system provides? Netflix has figured it out, as it's automatic, every time.
Who's majority? You have statistics? Any data?
Show them and prove it.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-11-26, 16:27)Martijn Wrote: Who's majority? You have statistics? Any data?
Show them and prove it.
 See I could have used that same response to your statement that "EDID lies big time".  You have data/statistics that shows that the majority of devices "lie" about their EDID data? 

Since EDID is a VESA standard, I would say that my statement that the "vast majority of devices don't 'lie' about their EDID data" is far more accurate than your statement that they do.
(2017-11-25, 20:08)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
My 4K TV's EDID changes if 'HDMI UHD Color' is enabled or not for the given input.  Without it the EDID lies and says the input does not support 4K@60 but if you force feed it 4K@60 it totally runs it.  As near as I can tell, that function literally ONLY changes the EDID on the TV and doesn't actually 'change' anything.    
This is not lying. Two different EDIDs are used to facilitate compatibility with legacy HDMI 1.4x devices. HDMI 2.0x has a HF-VSDB sturcture that defines deep color 4:2:0, 340 to 600 Mcsc TMDS character rate, 3D OSD disparity, dual/independent 3D views, EMI/RFI reduction scrambling etc. as defined in CTA 861-F. Legacy HDMI 1.4x devices will get "confused" with this structure. HDMI 2.0x standard thus specifies two separate HF-VSDBs, one specific for HDMI 1.4 (H14b VSDB). It is for this reason that the TVs restart whenever you disable or enable HDMI UHD color/Enhanced HDMI mode etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatically configure audio from EDID0