Kodi on Xbox One
Is this a joke? You know its past April!

There's not even anough devs as it is so dream dream dream. MS is a MF to deal with for a start.

This has beem asked so much it needs buried.

PS If you get a team of devs to take it on good on you i'll be the first to congratulate you but I think its more likely Ill stop buying harddrives like sweeties and that's never gona happen Smile
To be fair, this has a realistic chance of happening. That's very different than every other "please port Kodi to my console" request ;)

However, as pointed out above, don't expect it to be installable via any MS app store. They have additional restrictions that make a Kodi port less practical.
Bump

Reading this news today as well as the team members response above, I think this news opens up the discussion...? Seems to me that with the xbox's hardware, as long as we have the device api's this could be a great way for team kodi to expand. I for one would be willing to pay a small fee ($20) or so to get Kodi on my xbox and eliminate my media box.
When kodi can download on xbox one the nvidia shield gonna die slowly

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-09-30, 04:02)zaddiel1 Wrote: When kodi can download on xbox one the nvidia shield gonna die slowly

So... in 10 or 20 years, maybe?
Never is best option right now so [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone
The current store version is a UWP app, right? Just not (yet) published for phones and Xbox etc.
Nope the current store version is not a true UWP app.

The Windows Store version is simply the normal version of Kodi that's been run through the new Microsoft desktop converter, and all that does is repackage the way kodi is installed into a Store compatible format, so the Store version remains at it's heart it's the same Win32 desktop app that will only run on x86/x86-64 chips.
(2016-05-17, 05:52)jjd-uk Wrote: It's amazing in the age of Google people are still incapable of searching or doing some research, as it stands it would be impossible to port Kodi to be a Universal App without severly crippling functionality, the current Microsoft app ecosystem just doesn't give enough access to the system.

Interesting. What functionality specifically? VLC ported well to UWP and works well on Xbox One. Proof of concept that similar opensource video and audio decoders and rendering is portable from win32 to UWP WinRT. The Kodi interface will need some special WinRT treatment, but I'm curious what access to the system are you referring to?
(2016-10-18, 20:09)obveron Wrote:
(2016-05-17, 05:52)jjd-uk Wrote: It's amazing in the age of Google people are still incapable of searching or doing some research, as it stands it would be impossible to port Kodi to be a Universal App without severly crippling functionality, the current Microsoft app ecosystem just doesn't give enough access to the system.

Interesting. What functionality specifically? VLC ported well to UWP and works well on Xbox One. Proof of concept that similar opensource video and audio decoders and rendering is portable from win32 to UWP WinRT. The Kodi interface will need some special WinRT treatment, but I'm curious what access to the system are you referring to?

This was written before we knew about the desktop converter. Windows Store and UWP are changing so fast (see the desktop converter, as an example) that it's hard to give an accurate statement at the moment.
Btw - @anyone who mentions winrt - i am pretty sure winrt is dead and non - existent anymore...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2016-10-19, 07:45)Memphiz Wrote: Btw - @anyone who mentions winrt - i am pretty sure winrt is dead and non - existent anymore...
WinRT (Windows Runtime) mostly transferred into UWP. Maybe you are thinking of Windows RT (Windows on Arm).
WinRT = Windows Runtime
WinRT =/= Windows RT

I highlighted the crucial bits.

The Anniversary release has changed a lot of things for the better which has allowed us to appear in the store although we are still a Win32 desktop app. To become a true UWP app the Kodi would need to be ported to Windows Runtime I think, but not 100% sure on this since there's been a lot of change in the Microsoft app ecosystem.

Some of things that weren't possible with Windows Runtime apps:

Before you could only open videos held in the local Win 10 Videos folder, music from the local Music folder, and pictures from the local Pictures folder, it was not possible to open any media files from outside of these folders either locally or from the network.

It was not possible to run in true fullscreen mode as UWP apps weren't allowed exclusive access to the graphics hardware.

It was not possible to download modifications which would make add-on support impossible.

I'm unsure whether any of this is now possible with true UWP apps after the Anniversary update.
(2016-10-19, 19:42)obveron Wrote:
(2016-10-19, 07:45)Memphiz Wrote: Btw - @anyone who mentions winrt - i am pretty sure winrt is dead and non - existent anymore...
WinRT (Windows Runtime) mostly transferred into UWP. Maybe you are thinking of Windows RT (Windows on Arm).
WinRT = Windows Runtime
WinRT =/= Windows RT

Yes that - thx
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2016-10-19, 22:39)jjd-uk Wrote:

I highlighted the crucial bits.

The Anniversary release has changed a lot of things for the better which has allowed us to appear in the store although we are still a Win32 desktop app. To become a true UWP app the Kodi would need to be ported to Windows Runtime I think, but not 100% sure on this since there's been a lot of change in the Microsoft app ecosystem.

Some of things that weren't possible with Windows Runtime apps:

Before you could only open videos held in the local Win 10 Videos folder, music from the local Music folder, and pictures from the local Pictures folder, it was not possible to open any media files from outside of these folders either locally or from the network.

It was not possible to run in true fullscreen mode as UWP apps weren't allowed exclusive access to the graphics hardware.

It was not possible to download modifications which would make add-on support impossible.

I'm unsure whether any of this is now possible with true UWP apps after the Anniversary update.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply! VLC on Xbox One runs under Windows Runtime and appears to have overcome at least some of those limitations. I guess that bodes well for the Anniversary Update. It can browse SMB and UPNP shares, playback from USB storage, and can do things that were not possible on previous media players on Xbone (DTS decoding and soft subtitles).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Xbox One0