v16 [Help] KODIbuntu - Failing to install graphics drivers.
First off, I will apologise for any typos and formatting, as I'm on my phone, attempting to fix the HTPC I built for my parents.

As the title says, I'm having a fair bit of trouble in getting my nvidia drivers to behave.

KODIbuntu: Downloaded 14.0, also attempting to update to 16.0
I have a pendrive of the ISO from the main site, so I can reinstall the entire OS, if need be.

I've done a multitude of things with multiple of installations, I've googled beyond what was thought possible.

Let me run through what I've tried. At this point, I'm willing to try anything.
After installing everything anew, the first screen I'm greeted by: "Kodi needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering. Install an appropriate graphics driver". Telling me to install some drivers to actually make use of the GPU, makes sense.
But I can't seem to do anything else from this screen, so I turn off the machine, and have three options. First is disable the GPU from the BIOS; Second, just remove it; and Thirdly, via the BIOS, simply prefer the integrated graphics over the actual card. Net result is the same: use the integrated graphics to install the nvidia drivers.

The CPU handles it decently well, not a strain, but it's not at 1080p, but I have seen that it could be fairly easy to change that, so not a big issue. Given an option, I'd prefer to get the GPU working, and not use the CPU for the rendering, as that was the reason I bought it.
Onwards.
After booting it back on, I now have access to Kodi, and Lubuntu, so I have full control.
Typically, here, I tend to follow the wiki (I did follow both methods, and neither have worked), and install the nvidia drivers, I've tried both "nvidia-current", and "nvidia-361", along with different versions of both sides. 304 and 331 to name a few.

After doing this, I proceed to shutdown, and re-enable/reinstall the GPU, move the HDMI cable back to the card (as I had moved it to the one on the motherboard), and turn it back on.
It outputs video, and at a very low framerate.
After doing some digging, it appears that the nvidia drivers weren't recognised, and it fell back to the VMware, Inc. with "Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe", which I believe is the default 2D graphics drivers. After a ridiculous amount of googling, and trying different nvidia drivers, Bumblebee, LTS, writing my own xorg.conf, disabling the Intel IG altogether. All result in either nothing changing, a black screen, or lower resolution (making it worse).
I tried downloading the nvidia graphics drivers from their site and installing them, I keep on getting as far as "X server is still running", or something to that effect. Which from what I've read simply means the GUI is still running, which it is. I can't seem to activate the terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F1, and none of my keys are broken.
After poking around more, I've found my install doesn't generate a xorg.conf, I attempted to write my own, but that just ended in a broken system. I still haven't found my log file for xorg, so I believe something is seriously broken early on.
If I missed any other piece of information, please do ask.

PC specs:
Bump
I do really need help with this.
Why don't you ssh to your system and install the nvidia driver from there?
You are trying to do this from within a VM? Not sure it can access the graphics card directly from a VM to use the Nvidia graphics drivers unless you are using ESXi and your hardware supports pass through of the peripherals like that.
Not a VM, just your run-of-the-mill HTPC.
(2016-04-06, 10:48)kyungrak Wrote: Why don't you ssh to your system and install the nvidia driver from there?

I haven't given it a shot, so I'll try it, and I'm hoping that it's only the graphics that aren't working.
Just for my interest...why are you trying to use the GTX950? Isn´t socket 1150 haswell? If yes...and I´m looking at the CPU specs:

Processor Graphics - Intel® HD Graphics

why don´t you use the integrated GPU?

And for the note..Kodibuntu is quite old. Why do you need Kodibuntu? Do you plan to install any additional software beside Kodi? If not...then I would probably give OpenELEC or LibreELEC a shot...

http://openelec.tv

http://libreelec.tv

Both are small linux based distros which only are shipping Kodi. Nothing else.

If you need any other software beside Kodi, I would install a minimal Ubuntu and install Kodi on it. Like explained here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

But that´s only for intel related GPUs.
(2016-04-06, 16:15)David1977 Wrote: Just for my interest...why are you trying to use the GTX950? Isn´t socket 1150 haswell? If yes...and I´m looking at the CPU specs:

Processor Graphics - Intel® HD Graphics

why don´t you use the integrated GPU?

And for the note..Kodibuntu is quite old. Why do you need Kodibuntu? Do you plan to install any additional software beside Kodi? If not...then I would probably give OpenELEC or LibreELEC a shot...

http://openelec.tv

http://libreelec.tv

Both are small linux based distros which only are shipping Kodi. Nothing else.

If you need any other software beside Kodi, I would install a minimal Ubuntu and install Kodi on it. Like explained here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

But that´s only for intel related GPUs.

The TV that this machine is going to be hooked up to is one of the fancy "Ultra HD" TVs, and while there isn't anything yet that can fully utilise it, I'd still like to get it working now.

I'm using Kodibuntu purely because I simply didn't know others exist. If OpenElec or LibreElec support nvidia cards, I'd definitely switch over.
They support it. Maybe you have to use some nightlies. But I guess your card will be supported out of the box. Give it a shot.
Kodibuntu is outdated and needs an update when the next LTS release is coming out (Ubuntu 16.04). For the time being you can use OpenELEC / LibrELEC even from USB stick. Other than that - install Ubuntu 16.04, install the proprietary drivers, add the kodi ppa, install it and choose kodi in the login manager -> done. Autologin can be configured later.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@fritsch

is it for sure, that there will be a new Kodibuntu version if Ubuntu 16.04 will be released?

Would love to see a newer version again Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Help] KODIbuntu - Failing to install graphics drivers.0