Jump to a pvr channel group in 1 step
(2016-09-13, 10:19)black_eagle Wrote: Dunno if you've ever seen Sky TV's EPG Ned, but it has a list of what are effectively channel groups across the top (All Channels, Entertainment, Kids, Music, Movies, News etc) with the first few channels listed down the side.
Totally agree re sky. Their development team is probably a few orders of magnitude bigger / better paid to be fair, but they have ideas that would be worth stealing using. That's mostly about skinning, but obviously you can only skin the functions that are there.
*inappropriate joke goes here to break strange tension*
(2016-09-13, 10:29)Ned Scott Wrote: *inappropriate joke goes here to break strange tension*
I have no idea what that's all about (the tension, not the joke).
Probably a language thing.
(2016-09-13, 10:27)trogggy Wrote: Totally agree re sky. Their development team is probably a few orders of magnitude bigger / better paid to be fair, but they have ideas that would be worth stealing using. That's mostly about skinning, but obviously you can only skin the functions that are there.

Yeah. There is a TV guide that looks something similar here. I'd prefer my own channel icons in there (dunno if it offers that option as I'm not using it), but something like that with some default channel groups across the top would be really cool. I reckon an Estuary version of that would look awesome.

I guess part of the issue with this is what channel groups are set by default be the various backends available. I know TVHeadend for instance tags with TV, Radio, SD and HD automatically, but any other tags are up to the individual user. Question is, are there going to be any 'standard' tags between the back-ends and other than documentation in the wiki, how to indicate to a novice user that user-defined channel tags/groups are available to be used ?

If it's do-able, it's something I'd definitely be using. Having given up paying Sky an inordinate amount to watch channels that are free-to-air in any case, TVH and Kodi are now the only method of watching/recording live TV in my house and although my wife and kids are happy to scroll up and down the channels currently available to them, when the freesat tuners go in the box, I'm betting this will change !!
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Would you mind sharing this solution, or am i missing something in this thread? How did you create this shortcut please?
@trogggy What code will open the Channel groups window?
(2019-05-09, 17:20)ed_davidson Wrote: @trogggy What code will open the Channel groups window?
Horrible hacky code.
Open the channels or guide window and then:
xbmc.executebuiltin('SendClick(28)')
xbmc.executebuiltin( "XBMC.Action(FirstPage)" )

There's a script here if it's any use to you - a very simplified version of what I use (which would be no use to anyone else!).
It reads the arguments in a favourite / remote key / submenu, opens the channels or guide window, scrolls down to the wanted group and opens it.
It comes with a million disclaimers...
https://github.com/trogggy/trogggy.scrip...tvgroup.py
@trogggy
Not sure if this exactly what you originally had wanted to achieve, but this is the behaviour I've implemented for my own Estuary Mod. Might be of interest:-

Main benefits
1) Pressing the back button on my remote takes me directly to the channel groups, irrespective of where I am on the guide. Doesn't matter if I'm on the 1st or 100th channel, pressing back will always take me to the channel groups, so no more scrolling up to the channel groups like the default Estuary skin behaves.
2) If your near the top of the guide, you can still use the default way of getting to the channel groups by just pressing the 'UP' button.
3) When you scroll right on the channel groups and get to the last group, pressing right again will loop you around to your first channel group. Same behaviour works in reverse. Never really liked the way default version works that when you get the last channel group, you have to scroll back from where you came from, particularly if you have several groups.
4) While a channel group is highlighted, pressing 'UP' will activate the PVR sideblade.

Only downside is I have to click the back button twice to exit the guide screen, since the 1st click takes you to channel groups and 2nd will exit. Guess some folk wouldn't like to click back twice to exit, but given the other benefits listed above, I can certainly live with that.....
Actually very little required to achieve this behaviour. If interested, I can post the changes that are needed.
(2019-05-09, 23:41)Dumyat Wrote: @trogggy
Not sure if this exactly what you originally had wanted to achieve, but this is the behaviour I've implemented for my own Estuary Mod. Might be of interest:-

That looks pretty good to me (I'm not a fan of estuary in general but that pvr window looks really nice).  What I originally wanted was slightly different though - a way to set a shortcut on the home screen (or in a favourite / remote key etc) that takes me straight to eg news / music / sport channels or guide window.  For the moment at least I'm happy with that, though when time permits I'll no doubt start faffing around again.
(2019-05-09, 17:57)trogggy Wrote:
(2019-05-09, 17:20)ed_davidson Wrote: @trogggy What code will open the Channel groups window?
Horrible hacky code.
Open the channels or guide window and then:
xbmc.executebuiltin('SendClick(28)')
xbmc.executebuiltin( "XBMC.Action(FirstPage)" )

There's a script here if it's any use to you - a very simplified version of what I use (which would be no use to anyone else!).
It reads the arguments in a favourite / remote key / submenu, opens the channels or guide window, scrolls down to the wanted group and opens it.
It comes with a million disclaimers...
https://github.com/trogggy/trogggy.scrip...tvgroup.py 

Thanks do much @trogggy for your excellent code. It worked perfectly for me.
@trogggy fyi. https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/16351
Very nice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jump to a pvr channel group in 1 step1