Kodi 16 black screen
I have posted this same question on the raspberry pi forum but have not gotten an answer yet. There are tons of old threads on this but I do not see any news on kodi 16 for this same issue. I have tried most of the solutions there and none have worked for me so far. Right now I have an arch linux setup on my pi using the kodi-rbp package. I am getting the black screen on exit. I am running arch linux with LXDE right now. The only way to get control of the pi after exiting is to ssh into and reboot. I want a easy fix for this black screen issue if at all possible. The main thing with this is I am wanting a short cut in the menus that my wife can click on to start kodi, similar to how you would on Windows. By default this gets installed but the fixes I have tried are usually having to run it from the command line.
I'm in the same boat as you. Scoured the net, tried everything I came across and it's still not working. If anyone could help out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.
I could imagine it´s a problem with the distro in combination of Kodi...

Have you tried something else? Raspbian for example?
I should have been clearer, sorry: On my Pi 3, I am running Raspbian Jessie (03/2016) with a manual install of Kodi 15.2 on top of it.
You are not alone. I am also experiencing black screen. Don't know how to get rid of it.

This is my environment:
- Raspberry pi 2
- Raspbian Jessie, March 2016
- Kodi 16.0

Sometimes I have black screen with sound only, when I open video streaming or play video from local SD or external disk. Other problem is that sometimes when I press on Exit I also get black screen.

I tried with turning off hardware acceleration inside Kodi but with no help. Any other online solution doesn't help.

Running Kodi with standalone parameter have no effect I only get more buttons when I want to exit, like Reboot, Shutdown...

Please help.
I have been having this problem since I bought a pi 2 a year ago and I had to use OSMC to get a working version of Kodi. Now I am at a point where I want to use the media center for other things. Even on Raspbian the problem exists. So I tried arch linux because of the performance it has on the pi 2 and pi 3. I am still in the same issue. Who ever codes this just needs to fix it at the source level so we don't have to do any wacky work arounds that do not work for everyone's setup. Who do we need to talk with about getting a fix put into the actual source for the kodi builds for arm versions of linux?
[ctrl]+[alt]+[f8] followed by [ctrl]+[alt]+[f7] will bring back the desktop. You can also add a script...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...8&p=927021
Ok, this script is working. My next question is how to make it autorun "startkodi" on boot instead of default one? Currently I am using ENABLED=1 and USER=pi in "/etc/default/kodi" config file.

Also how to fix black screen when playing videos or streams in Kodi?
On Raspbian, besides installing Kodi, generally it is required to make some post configurations to work fine:

-Set the right permissions and udev rules. See the last part of the first post here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...6&t=109088

-Set the GPU memory to at least 160 MB in config.txt if you want to play high bitrate 1080p videos. For the RPi 2 and 3 the recommended is 256 MB:
Code:
gpu_mem=160
or
Code:
gpu_mem=256

-If you want to do software decoding (mpeg-2, vc-1, etc) you also need this line in config.txt:
Code:
start_x=1

Thats it. I don't have any kind of "black screen" with this.
Tnx, for a fast reply. I will try and let you know.
Ok, I configured everything. The only thing which I don't know is this part:

Code:
CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/vc/lib" FFMPEG_OPTS="--cpu=cortex-a7" ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --enable-optimizations --with-platform=raspberry-pi --enable-player=omxplayer --disable-x11 --disable-sdl --disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-xrandr --disable-joystick --enable-airplay --enable-mid --enable-rsxs --enable-afpclient --disable-external-ffmpeg --enable-non-free --enable-dvdcss --enable-ccache --enable-alsa --enable-libusb --enable-libbluray --enable-libcec --disable-projectm --disable-pulse

What to do with that (where to save it)?

And do you know how to set up Kodi to autostart on Raspbian boot with new "startkodi" script from here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...86#p927086
That code is not needed, it is the options used to compile Kodi.

Also the script startkodi is not needed in Kodi 16.

To autostart Kodi, first you have to set Raspbian to boot to console/terminal. Than you have to set ENABLED=1 and USER=pi in "/etc/default/kodi". And than enable the Kodi service:
Code:
sudo update-rc.d kodi enable
I can confirm that black screen while playing videos or streaming is now working fine on my side.

I will test black screen on exit now, if it is still present then I will use startkodi script because with that script I have no frozen black screen on exit.

What do you think about hardware acceleration, do I need to turn it off in Kodi?
No need to change the default hardware acceleration options. I have mmal enabled and omxplayer disabled (to always use mmal). It works fine for me.
(2016-04-16, 16:37)rascas Wrote: Also the script startkodi is not needed in Kodi 16.

To autostart Kodi, first you have to set Raspbian to boot to console/terminal. Than you have to set ENABLED=1 and USER=pi in "/etc/default/kodi". And than enable the Kodi service:
Code:
sudo update-rc.d kodi enable

That script isn't to autostart kodi, but to fix the black screen when exiting kodi. And yes.. it's needed in kodi 16.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 16 black screen0