XBMC not showing subtitles in some movies
Hi,

I have used XBMC since the beginning and lately i have this problem showing subs.

A Xvid movie that shows perfect on the computer + its subs, simply wont show on XBMC. more than that a 2 part movie, one shows the sub and second simply ignored!

have to say this happens from time to time haven't found the reason why. i have tried to convert the subs from .srt to .sub (with a dedicated software), and it didn't do the trick, again on the computer it all works just fine.

so finally i switched to an older version of XBMC and it worked like a charm. no problem showing the subs.

It is just a suggestion - subs need more control options from within the movie (while playing) a way of telling the player what sub to use or see what it is trying to load... any information or control would be great.

so this is my problem hope that someone can come with a solution or an answer.

Thanks.

Daniel.
What version are you using?
What are your videos and subs named?
Have you tried browsing for subs?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi,

I am using abc.avi and abc.srt as movie file and subs. I have tried to play with this with no success.
again - going back to an old version of XBMC, there was no problem.
it's something with the new versions. reading in this forum a few other threads about this problem I understand it has something to do with the encoding of the HEBREW subs and the auto detection mechanism in the new builds.

in any case it would be great if you guys could add more power to the subs control while playing a movie. keep up the awesome work already done. Nod

This is the version i am using: XBMC-SVN_2007-04-08_rev8443-T3CH

there is no option to brows for subs.
There probably is. Check your OSD while playing the video, in the subtitle section, there should be an option to 'browse for subs'
WeirdH Wrote:There probably is. Check your OSD while playing the video, in the subtitle section, there should be an option to 'browse for subs'

If XBMC doesn't detect the subtitle this menu doesn't show at all !
so i am left with no options. also would be nice while watching a movie - the option to disable or choose another sub for the movie. for example you might have subtitles in English, French and lets say Hebrew. if you save the subtitle name like this: sub_name.eng.srt ; sub_name.fr.srt ; sub_name.heb.srt .
would be nice to have the option to switch between the subs this way...

anyway thanks
Please try:
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...Display.29
And then:
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...e_Settings

Does the Browse for Subtitle option not show?

Anyways since subs are correctly named and don't show I think a debug log might be what is needed here.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Update:

I have installed the latest XBMC, and still have the same problem.

I might have made a mistake and looked for the subs option in the video and it is shown in the audio tab Sad probably my bad.

any how using the "brows for sub" as suggested in the thread i have hand picked the sub and it still doesn't work.

I will look into the links, thank you.

Daneil
I am using a very recent build of XMBC, and I had this problem recently with some subtitle files. They were plain text format, which is (I think) supported, but they wouldn't show up even if I selected them manually.

I tried opening the subtitle files with a (free) subtitle editor called "Jubler" and then without making any changes, I just saving them again as .srt files. This resolved my problem and was very easy.

Don't know why this worked, but I hope this helps someone.
weird because going back to an older version of XBMC with the same movie and subtitle, I did not have a problem, and the subtitle showed and it worked perfectly. don't know whats wrong with the latest builds, this never happened to me before.

I will try your solution next time I run into this kind of subtitle problem. thank you.
Hello,

What about a possible solution to this annoying problem. I have another movie - Next.DVDRip.XviD-DoNE and i have the .srt subtitle, it doesn't want to show the sub even if i choose it up from the in playing menu.

what can i do to fix this i can't see this movies without subs and it always happen when i have people over Sad

anyway thanks for an great software and the work you put in it.
Submit a bug report (to our tracker on SourceForge) with debug log and samples of a non-working srt files:
http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph...Bug_Report
Same problem here, i'll provide more info later.
Anyway, changing the sub file, it works correctly.
Hi to all again, problem solved here.
Try to convert the file in UTF-8, mine was encoded in Unicode.

Hope it helped.
EsOsO Wrote:Hi to all again, problem solved here.
Try to convert the file in UTF-8, mine was encoded in Unicode.

Hope it helped.

It did indeed, tnx for that! :p
Hi,
Open the SRT file with Notepad (or a program like that) and try to save it using another encoding type (unicode or utf-8) and try again Smile

EditConfusedorry, I didn't see the EsOsO reply before mine Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC not showing subtitles in some movies0