Issues compiling Kodi, fresh windows install
Hi, I'm trying to rebuild my development setup after a fresh windows install...

I thought everything went well, double checked with the wiki and github instructions, but for the life of me I cannot get VS2015 CE to install "vcvars32.bat" and other c++ tools.

I've double checked all the VS install settings making sure to check all tool options, yet nothing installs to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools"

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Stupid question but have you actually checked VC++ common tools during setup? Recent versions of Visual Studio do not install C++ components by default.
(2017-08-14, 18:25)Roman_V_M Wrote: Stupid question but have you actually checked VC++ common tools during setup? Recent versions of Visual Studio do not install C++ components by default.

Yeah, Thanks... it was checked but wouldn't install; not sure why. I ended up installing VC2017CE just for the tool kit, and it was installed under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Shared\14.0\VC\bin"
Seems like cmake doesn't play nice with dual VS installations... i'm getting "Compiling the CXX compiler identification source file "CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp" failed." error.

My guess I need to set the correct path to VS 2015 in the build.env?
I don't think that's it. I have four different versions of VS installed, 2010 - 2015.
(2017-08-14, 21:42)MatthewLundberg Wrote: I don't think that's it. I have four different versions of VS installed, 2010 - 2015.

Driving me nuts, Not sure whats going on... I tried manually settings the compile path in cmake... nadda.

Just don't have time for this, lol... what was supposed to be a quick code compile is now turning into an all day affair.

I must be forgetting something dumb...
This is my error, if anyone knows a solution... I'd appreciate it.

Code:
The output was:
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 14.0.25420.1
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Build started 8/14/2017 4:37:37 PM.
Project "D:\GitHub\xbmc\kodi-build\CMakeFiles\3.9.1\CompilerIdC\CompilerIdC.vcxproj" on node 1 (default targets).
PrepareForBuild:
  Creating directory "Debug\".
  Creating directory "Debug\CompilerIdC.tlog\".
InitializeBuildStatus:
  Creating "Debug\CompilerIdC.tlog\unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
ClCompile:
  CL.exe /c /nologo /W0 /WX- /Od /Oy- /D _MBCS /Gm- /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd /GS /fp:precise /Zc:wchar_t /Zc:forScope /Zc:inline /Fo"Debug\\" /Fd"Debug\vc140.pdb" /Gd /TC /analyze- /errorReport:queue CMakeCCompilerId.c
TRACKER : error TRK0005: Failed to locate: "CL.exe". The system cannot find the file specified. [D:\GitHub\xbmc\kodi-build\CMakeFiles\3.9.1\CompilerIdC\CompilerIdC.vcxproj]

Done Building Project "D:\GitHub\xbmc\kodi-build\CMakeFiles\3.9.1\CompilerIdC\CompilerIdC.vcxproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"D:\GitHub\xbmc\kodi-build\CMakeFiles\3.9.1\CompilerIdC\CompilerIdC.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->
(ClCompile target) ->
  TRACKER : error TRK0005: Failed to locate: "CL.exe". The system cannot find the file specified. [D:\GitHub\xbmc\kodi-build\CMakeFiles\3.9.1\CompilerIdC\CompilerIdC.vcxproj]

0 Warning(s)
    1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.80

Checking whether the ASM compiler is GNU using "--version" did not match "(GNU assembler)|(GCC)|(Free Software Foundation)":
Checking whether the ASM compiler is HP using "-V" did not match "HP C":
Checking whether the ASM compiler is Intel using "--version" did not match "(ICC)":
Checking whether the ASM compiler is SunPro using "-V" did not match "Sun C":
Checking whether the ASM compiler is XL using "-qversion" did not match "XL C":
Checking whether the ASM compiler is MSVC using "/?" did not match "Microsoft":
Checking whether the ASM compiler is TI using "-h" did not match "Texas Instruments":
Checking whether the ASM compiler is GNU using "--version" did not match "(GNU assembler)|(GCC)|(Free Software Foundation)":
Checking whether the ASM compiler is IAR using "" did not match "IAR Assembler":
Checking whether the ASM compiler is ARMCC using "" did not match "(ARM Compiler)|(ARM Assembler)":
Checking whether the ASM compiler is NASM using "-v" did not match "(NASM version)":
Checking whether the ASM compiler is YASM using "--version" did not match "(yasm)":
cl.exe is MS's C++ compiler. It seems that something wrong with environment variables. Try to start "VS2015 x86 Native Tools Command Prompt" and then run CMake generation / compilation from there.
I don't think you should need to run the Tools Command Prompt. I've never done this to build Kodi; I just use a normal command prompt. vcvarsall.bat is called from various scripts in /tools/buildsteps/windows/x64/.

1. Is %VS140COMNTOOLS% defined in your environment?
2. Does "%VS140COMNTOOLS%..\..\VC\vcvarsall.bat" exist?

If the answer to either is no, check your compiler installation.
Thanks, Yea its path related... probably starting with my issue getting common tools to install from VS15 and then installing VS17.

I checked out paths, env. paths... they all seem okay. I noted multiple VS14 common tools some complete others missing files, I never had a issue compiling; so i'm unsure if this is normal.

Currently trying to understand what cl path it's trying to access.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues compiling Kodi, fresh windows install0