Linux -  My Budget Media Server...
Yes, HDD prices are slowly falling finally, it's time to get something big(ger) and have stuff on one or two HDD drives, instead of 4 or 5 drives.
Useful pages: Debug log (wiki) || First time user (wiki) || Troubleshooting (wiki) || Free content (wiki) || Forum rules (wiki) || VPN policy (wiki)
(2018-05-14, 08:13)Klojum Wrote: Yes, HDD prices are slowly falling finally, it's time to get something big(ger) and have stuff on one or two HDD drives, instead of 4 or 5 drives.
 Stupid thing is Sainsburys had 1TB drives for £65, go figure.
HTPCs: RPi 3B+, RPI2B & 2 x RPi 1B on LibreELEC 8.x
Amp: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: Acer Revo R3610, 4GB RAM, 5TB HDDs, Xubuntu 16.04 x64, NFS, MySQL
Network: Plusnet Hub One Router, Cisco Catalyst 2960, TP-Link TL-SG1005D & Netgear DGN1000 Switches
@nickr Internal storage drives me nuts, especially as I'm running MacOS, Windows and Ubuntu!! 
@speedwell68 Are the cheap HDD at a brick and mortar Sainsbury's? Or are those deals online - also envious at your media server, takes up far less room than my beast of a machine!
@Klojum I have 'only' three large storage, 2x4TB spanned and 1 8TB the larger one is my backup drive.  So fewer bigger, means more space internally if need be.

Totally agree with regards to wifi, my premise is, if it doesn't leave the house, then it gets a cable! (although loads of switch boxes around the flat drive me nuts!)
Server: Windows Server 2016 Standard Hyper-V with Ubuntu Server VM, NFS shares and MySQL
Kodi: 2 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec
My Setup thread | Setup Ubuntu / TVH / Schedules Direct
Nice and simple, effective setup! And yeah, ethernet cables are the way to go! Whatever device in my home can get an ethernet cable has one. Only mobiles and tablets are on WiFi.
(2018-05-17, 01:04)tjay260476 Wrote: @speedwell68 Are the cheap HDD at a brick and mortar Sainsbury's? Or are those deals online - also envious at your media server, takes up far less room than my beast of a machine!

Totally agree with regards to wifi, my premise is, if it doesn't leave the house, then it gets a cable! (although loads of switch boxes around the flat drive me nuts!)

It was in store in Sainsburys. Sorry about the late reply I have been busy.

(2018-05-17, 09:42)guardianin Wrote: Nice and simple, effective setup! And yeah, ethernet cables are the way to go! Whatever device in my home can get an ethernet cable has one. Only mobiles and tablets are on WiFi.

Thanks for the comments on the setup. When I decided I needed a media server I looked at a lot of the huge great crates people were running and thought why? I figured that all a machine needs to be able to do is move data around a network and manage a very simple MySQL database. I have actually been pushing this machine a little harder and it still doesn't break a sweat, it can still serve up video to all 5 Kodi clients in the house and download/encode video using get_iplayer over ssh whilst doing it.
Network: Plusnet Hub One Router, Cisco Catalyst 2960, TP-Link TL-SG1005D & Netgear DGN1000 Switches
As in my hardware thread, the reason for my ‘crate’ is that I repurposed my server I bought for my last IT business, and converted it into a home lab, if I was building from scratch I would just use a Pi with a couple of big external HDD, hence the envy!

I would dearly love to go over to FOSS completely too, problem is I need a Mac for a couple of things (final cut pro being one!) Windows for another couple of things (Publisher being another)... problem though.... running RDP via a Mac, then ssh to a Linux server (I’m running VM’s under a hypervisor) my keyboard shortcuts go AWOL!

At present I’m running an instance of Windows Server 2016 as a media server (with the boring name Kodi-Server!) so this is most likely to be converted to something like Open Media Vault, so at the very least I can have my HTPCs front and back running FOSS.

The other VM’s I’m running are a web server, an email server and a Windows 10 workstation, and I can safely say that I’ve been runnng email servers longer than Google!
Server: Windows Server 2016 Standard Hyper-V with Ubuntu Server VM, NFS shares and MySQL
Kodi: 2 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec
My Setup thread | Setup Ubuntu / TVH / Schedules Direct
(2018-05-20, 04:33)tjay260476 Wrote: As in my hardware thread, the reason for my ‘crate’ is that I repurposed my server I bought for my last IT business, and converted it into a home lab, if I was building from scratch I would just use a Pi with a couple of big external HDD, hence the envy!

I would dearly love to go over to FOSS completely too, problem is I need a Mac for a couple of things (final cut pro being one!) Windows for another couple of things (Publisher being another)... problem though.... running RDP via a Mac, then ssh to a Linux server (I’m running VM’s under a hypervisor) my keyboard shortcuts go AWOL!

At present I’m running an instance of Windows Server 2016 as a media server (with the boring name Kodi-Server!) so this is most likely to be converted to something like Open Media Vault, so at the very least I can have my HTPCs front and back running FOSS.

The other VM’s I’m running are a web server, an email server and a Windows 10 workstation, and I can safely say that I’ve been runnng email servers longer than Google!

I thought about a Pi as a media server and was worried that it wouldn't be able to keep up. I actually made the Revo struggle the other day. The kids were watching something and I started doing a bulk download using get_iplayer over ssh and ripping a disc on my desktop PC direct to the same HDD and the playback stalled. I guess that 3 things reading/writing to a single USB 2 HDD was too much for it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My Budget Media Server...0