• 12(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-10-08, 03:53)wrxtasy Wrote: I also recall reading somewhere that HDR10 (CNet in may have been) will come in a future firmware update as well.Believe you me,
CNet (CNET). Believe you me, too many beers for lunch?? Big Grin
From Mi Box tech Specs, page...
Quote:Supports HDR10/HLG HDR processing (software upgrade required)

From CNET...

Quote:The Mi won't get HDR support until it receives the software upgrade to Android N, sometime later this year.

I guess my sarcasm got lost in translation Wink
No not up to speed yet, late night, early morning. Have not had the 2xCoffee hit yet. You sarcasm was noticed, and did no go wasted ! Wink

definitely disappointing as it is right now, hopefully with some updates it may be a viable option. Guess I will be ordering a core or a shield at end of month, so will mothball it for the time being.
(2016-10-08, 05:03)briand095 Wrote: definitely disappointing as it is right now, hopefully with some updates it may be a viable option. Guess I will be ordering a core or a shield at end of month, so will mothball it for the time being.

The Shield TV has been discontinued.
(2016-10-08, 06:33)SilverBlade Wrote: The Shield TV has been discontinued.
WTF! Are you serious? Do provide proof as I do not see this happening any time soon.
I strongly suspect a Shield V2 is coming out soon. The Shield has been a very good seller for nVIDIA.
I would think a new Shield will come out in time for Christmas.

(2016-10-07, 23:49)joalin Wrote: No, at least not without mimo, but you miss the point. From what we have seen the MI box doesn't handle this with local media either. They're aiming for people who would like the Android TV experience, but that probably doesn't care much about quality above 1080 P. Like me. What is your point?

You're right they are aiming for people that probably just stream HD Netflix.

If you don't get my point then I'm done here..

(2016-10-08, 07:57)wrxtasy Wrote: I strongly suspect a Shield V2 is coming out soon. The Shield has been a very good seller for nVIDIA.
I would think a new Shield will come out in time for Christmas.

This is what I was thinking too. They announced Shield TV at GDC March 2015 so most likely worse case scenario we will see a new one announced March 2017?

Shield 2 should be announced soon as it already passed through FCC. Re: Mi Box, it may improve over time, dunno, but other than 4K premium services like Netflix, even cheapo Chinese S905/S905X boxes fare better for Kodi use. The sluggishness of Mi is a significant frustration too, and that they probably can't improve even via f/w updates.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I cannot believe its so bad. I mean its a AML S905X and should be running at 1.5GHz, unless Xiaomi have underclocked it due to issues.
Sounds like some buggy Beta Firmware they have running on this thing if its so slow.

I've a dev. board S905 with an Android TV OS ROM (Lollipop), and that seems the same speed as normal Android Lollipop S905 devices, maybe a bit quicker even.

I don't have much sluggishness with the Mi Box, but I did update the firmware and then delete a few apps that I didn't want clogging it up. It's a great device for my guest room.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2016-10-08, 17:50)wrxtasy Wrote: Sounds like some buggy Beta Firmware they have running on this thing if its so slow.
Xiaomi did have several beta testers in the U.S (albeit, poor selection process). So, it is not really a beta firmware.
My Mi Box also doesn't recognize this USB ethernet adapter/hub (but does see a USB stick attached to the hub). The ethernet part did work on Nexus Player. May have to try the one in Lon's review.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21