• 30(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-11-08, 03:55)banshee2008 Wrote:
(2016-11-07, 18:10)nonnald Wrote: forgive me if I misspeak but I see your HEVC is (Main 10) does that mean 10-bit? If so, I think that may be the problem as I've seen a lot of people say that 10bit 4K is just a green garbled mess on the Mi box

Yes, that does mean 10-bit. But if "10bit 4K is just a green garbled mess on the Mibox"...then why can that very same video file be played in Kodi? That is the part I am trying to understand. Is there a difference in how 4K is implemented in SPMC?
I had to check this out myself using the regular Kodi 16.1 Jarvis, results for 10bit video playback:
  • 1080p 10bit (non HDR) HEVC = green garbled screens
  • 2160p 10 bit (non HDR) HEVC + HDR10 = plays back perfectly fine

SPMC 16.4.82 Kodi Jarvis, results for 10bit video playback:
  • 2160p 10 bit (non HDR) HEVC + HDR10 = plays back perfectly fine. Better buffering performance than regular Kodi 16.1 infact.

So this problem is isolated to the 1080p 10bit (non HDR) HEVC video combo, producing green garbled screens during video playback with all versions of Kodi, Krypton beta5 included.

Interestingly HDR10 color output looks correct from the AMLogic S905X in this Mi Box when output to my 8bit only TV. Color output looks washed out when playing back HDR10 clips on any AML S905 (non X) device to a 8bit TV. Dolbyvision test clips color output look the same on either revision C AML S905.

(2016-11-08, 05:06)wrxtasy Wrote: So this problem is isolated to the 1080p 10bit (non HDR) HEVC video combo, producing green garbled screens during video playback with all versions of Kodi, Krypton beta5 included.
Which is exactly what I said a week ago: post 397
And the same results as I saw a week ago with 1080p 10bit (non HDR) HEVC. Wink

(2016-11-08, 05:06)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-11-08, 03:55)banshee2008 Wrote:
(2016-11-07, 18:10)nonnald Wrote: forgive me if I misspeak but I see your HEVC is (Main 10) does that mean 10-bit? If so, I think that may be the problem as I've seen a lot of people say that 10bit 4K is just a green garbled mess on the Mi box

Yes, that does mean 10-bit. But if "10bit 4K is just a green garbled mess on the Mibox"...then why can that very same video file be played in Kodi? That is the part I am trying to understand. Is there a difference in how 4K is implemented in SPMC?
I had to check this out myself using the regular Kodi 16.1 Jarvis, results for 10bit video playback:
  • 2160p 10 bit (non HDR) HEVC + HDR10 = plays back perfectly fine

SPMC 16.4.82 Kodi Jarvis, results for 10bit video playback:
  • 2160p 10 bit (non HDR) HEVC + HDR10 = plays back perfectly fine. Better buffering performance than regular Kodi 16.1 infact.

So this problem is isolated to the 1080p 10bit (non HDR) HEVC video combo, producing green garbled screens during video playback with all versions of Kodi, Krypton beta5 included.

Interestingly HDR10 color output looks correct from the AMLogic S905X in this Mi Box when output to my 8bit only TV. Color output looks washed out when playing back HDR10 clips on any AML S905 (non X) device to a 8bit TV. Dolbyvision test clips color output look the same on either revision C AML S905.

Hmmm...still different from what I am seeing. I don't have any 1080p 10-bit videos, so that explains why my 2160p 10-bit videos work on Kodi. But the exact same 2160p 10-bit clips that work on Kodi on the mibox still DO NOT play back on SPMC on the exact same mibox. But given your results, I am inclined to think the difference on on SPMC may be settings-related.

I will try playing around with settings and/or re-installing SPMC to see if I can get 2160p to work on SPMC as well. Thanks everyone for the info!
(2016-11-08, 05:52)banshee2008 Wrote: Hmmm...still different from what I am seeing. I don't have any 1080p 10-bit videos, so that explains why my 2160p 10-bit videos work on Kodi. But the exact same 2160p 10-bit clips that work on Kodi on the mibox still DO NOT play back on SPMC on the exact same mibox. But given your results, I am inclined to think the difference on on SPMC may be settings-related.

I will try playing around with settings and/or re-installing SPMC to see if I can get 2160p to work on SPMC as well. Thanks everyone for the info!
It won't work in SPMC 16.4.2, Try 16.4.82
(2016-11-08, 04:56)garvani Wrote:
(2016-11-08, 00:33)zenguy Wrote: Hmm.

Maybe I'll have to look for something else then. It's a shame, though. It looks like a good cheap option.

Look into freight forwarding. You get a us address that then forwards the items to you in whatever other country. I purchased from walmarts online store, delivered to my US address in nevada, and then forwarded on to me in Australia. Easy. Have done this for multiple items now. I used shipito but there are many companies that do this
That's good news to me. Didn't you get hit by customs, though?
(2016-11-08, 05:59)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-11-08, 05:52)banshee2008 Wrote: Hmmm...still different from what I am seeing. I don't have any 1080p 10-bit videos, so that explains why my 2160p 10-bit videos work on Kodi. But the exact same 2160p 10-bit clips that work on Kodi on the mibox still DO NOT play back on SPMC on the exact same mibox. But given your results, I am inclined to think the difference on on SPMC may be settings-related.

It won't work in SPMC 16.4.2, Try 16.4.82

Sweet! Working perfectly on that version. Thanks!
Plus with SPMC running and then Minimised (two back clicks). Once you scrape an Audio or Video media Library and then look at the main Android TVOS interface, all the recently scraped stuff Pops up on the Recommendations Row with little SPMC Logos stamped on them.

Also you can Voice search your scraped SPMC / Kodi media library with the BT Voice remote and SPMC. Smile
It really is nicely integrated.

(2016-11-08, 04:56)garvani Wrote:
(2016-11-08, 00:33)zenguy Wrote: Hmm.

Maybe I'll have to look for something else then. It's a shame, though. It looks like a good cheap option.

Look into freight forwarding. You get a us address that then forwards the items to you in whatever other country. I purchased from walmarts online store, delivered to my US address in nevada, and then forwarded on to me in Australia. Easy. Have done this for multiple items now. I used shipito but there are many companies that do this

this is interesting. but this way the items are still a subject of import customs (or am i wrong?) , whitch makes the overal price prohibitive . import customs is the reason i havent purchased mi box from ebay in the first place..
What button is best to remap the Menu Context on the remote?
As there appears to be no official support forum for Xiaomi's Mi Box, wondering if they're even monitoring here, AVSForum, elsewhere and taking any of the reported issues seriously? Huh
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-11-08, 15:17)hdmkv Wrote: As there appears to be no official support forum for Xiaomi's Mi Box, wondering if they're even monitoring here, AVSForum, elsewhere and taking any of the reported issues seriously? Huh

Official MiBox forum is here http://en.miui.com/forum-52-1.html , yes its a mess there.. and yea, they are not monitoring other forums for sure..
But according FAQ, About OTA cares Google, not Xiaomi..

Quote:IS MI BOX CONNECTED TO CHINA SERVERS TO UPDATE SYSTEM?

No, for overseas users, their Mi Box system update is connected to Google Server.
(2016-11-08, 05:59)wesk05 Wrote: It won't work in SPMC 16.4.2, Try 16.4.82
Off topic I know but there has not been an official SPMC release of version 16.4.82. I am using the SPMC Launcher and am of the understanding that there would be a need for a separate and specific SPMC 16.4.82 launcher version. Am I right with respect to the SPMC Launcher? No biggie as I think an official release of SPMC 16.5 may be forthcoming at some point this year.
(2016-11-08, 18:57)mjbxx Wrote: Off topic I know but there has not been an official SPMC release of version 16.4.82. I am using the SPMC Launcher and am of the understanding that there would be a need for a separate and specific SPMC 16.4.82 launcher version. Am I right with respect to the SPMC Launcher? No biggie as I think an official release of SPMC 16.5 may be forthcoming at some point this year.
Yeah 16.4.82 is a developmental version. I think @Koying will release 16.5 sometime soon.
(2016-10-29, 07:31)wrxtasy Wrote: Well thanks to Mr briand095, the Australia Post Kangaroo hopped up to the front door yesterday and I retrieved a Mi Box from its pouch !
You would not believe the amount of mail those hoppers can carry Wink

The Xiaomi Mi Box is running Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 with AMLogic S905X SoC hardware.

Tested with SPMC 16.4.82 and a Kodi Krypton Nightly....

The Good:
  • Well built quality little device, Xiaomi really should have called it the "Saucer" - its not a box !
  • The ATV OS launcher and its specifically designed for TV, easy to use Apps, no damn Air Mice needed.
  • The ultra responsive - Bluetooth Voice Remote is excellent
  • A reasonably snappy device for $69, when navigating around the ATV GUI
  • Chromecast built in
  • 10bit 2160p (4K) (non HDR) HEVC + HDR10 HEVC playback is fine.
  • AC WiFi is good, with great WiFi receiver sensitivity, no issues streaming 1080p via a MIMO Apple Extreme (N) router.
  • AMLogic have implemented a "HDMI Adaptation" video playback function in Marshmallow Firmware. If I playback 23.976fps video in Netflix or SPMC at a refresh rate of 60Hz I can see no 3:2 pulldown video judder. Playback is nice and smooth with my TV's motion smoothing set to its minimal setting.

The Bad
  • No 24p refresh rate switching, however see the new AML "HDMI adaptation" video playback function above for smooth 23.976fps video playback.
  • No dynamic refresh rate switching, in Kodi or Globally in Android (level 2), like you see with WeTek or MINIX Android Lollipop - AMLogic S905 boxes
  • Any (non HDR) 1080p 10bit HEVC (H265) content I try and play results in a green garbled mess onscreen. These 1080p 10bit HEVC clips playback fine on all other AMLogic S905 devices I have.
  • No Hardware deinterlacing in Kodi, so Hardware decoding of mpeg2 / H264 OTA TV viewing was problematic. (see mpeg2 workaround)
  • 5.1 Audio / 1080i H264 TV streams could not be watched at all from my TvHeadend server. Very bad A/V sync.
  • DTS and HD Audio passthrough will be a problem with Kodi. 5.1 DTS Audio can be transcoded to 5.1 AC3 in Kodi as a workaround.

The Downright Ugly:
  • This Mi Box, running AMLogic - Android Marshamallow Firmware, uses HDCP 2.2 and unfortunately my 4K TV that I was given as a present last Christmas, has HDMI 2.0 but no HDCP 2.2. So I get no sound from the Mi Box at all and Netflix refuses to playback video. I had to use an old 1080p HDMI 1.3 Sony TV.
    Update: A Firmware Update for my TV has fixed HDCP 2.2 problems Smile
Workaround - Software De-Interlacing tips for mpeg2 OTA TV - click HERE

For a basic 5.1 AC3/DD / HDR capable / Android ATV OS, Kodi streaming device the Mi Box is fine. You get all the bells and whistles of an officially licensed Google ATV product in a nice package.

Its the AMLogic - Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 Firmware that lets this device down badly. Simply put AMLogic's implementation of Android mediacodec is not up to speed for even semi-serious Kodi audio and video playback use. The lack of Kodi dynamic refresh rate switching really is a PITA. The inability to playback basic 10bit HEVC content, shows little care has been taken with the AML Firmware.

WeTek Hub vs Xiaomi Mi Box - which is the better Kodi box ?

Hands down the dual boot LibreELEC / Android Lollipop (or unofficial Android TV OS) - WeTek Hub because of working refresh rate switching and it plays all (non HDR10) video content I throw at it properly. Deinterlacing for HD OTA TV, is also excellent and you get far far better Audio support when using Kodi Jarvis. A proper GigaE port on the Hub too.
Its just a Pity the included IR remote control is rubbish.

Paid for, protected content, video streaming using proper Android TV. With very easy to use, designed for TV - Apps. Then the Mi Box is the winner. Adoptable (External) Storage when using Android Marshmallow Firmware is useful to increase the limited internal storage on the Mi Box. Mini SPDIF/Optical port on the Mi Box may be useful.

I just wish the Hub could have come packaged with the Mi Box's excellent Bluetooth, Voice - remote control.

W.
I searched this thread and did nout found answer - can you please check if Netflix 4k works?

I guess you already did, but i just can't find it.

S905x means that "hi10p" is no go and no magic from xiaomi to fix it? Smile
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21