• 18(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
Eek! Lots of work ahead for Xiaomi, assuming they take those particular issues seriously (maybe only HDR fix)... especially for the Wal-Mart crowd and masses they're after.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Not sure the vast unwashed Walmart masses care about 23.976 refresh rate and such, they just want to watch netflix in 4k on their new TV. Maybe they use Plex, if they're in the upper range. Kodi isn't really aimed at those people.

That said, some of them do read reviews by more clued-in people, so those features impact sales to some extent. Hopefully xiaomi takes them seriously.
This box is aimed at people like me. I have 2 older 1080p TVs (not even smart TVs). I just want a remote friendly Netflix and Youtube interface for my kids and wife to watch TV and Kodi for me to watch some TV and Movies. It's unfortunate that there is extra cost on me to get ethernet working but my ISP gives me a nice AC router/modem so I'm hoping that will be good enough.

I can't wait to get this box. It will replace my clunky ATV3 setup with PlexConnect and PlexMS. ATV3 has a great Netflix and Youtube interface. Very remote friendly but playing content from your local LAN is dreadful.

Regards.

Note: Why is it that after going to Wal-mart, I always have a weird itch? :-) Maybe it's the unwashed masses.
Note 2: I should also mention that I am a total cheap a$$.
I'm new here so if this is the wrong place to ask this kind of question i'm sorry. I have read most of the "get started stuff" and "box info" (thanks for all the great info) but still a bit confused for what best fits my needs. I wanted to ask about this box specifically since its at the Walmart down the street from me. If I just wanted this as my first streaming box would it be a good fit since I'm new to streaming boxes and just a novice techie, I don't need (yet) 4K or fancy stereo sound, I'm mainly looking for something I can use that has Kodi (or whatever is needed)*** for watching 1080p movies, plus Netflix or Amazon prime if possible. Would this box work for my needs or is there a better "starter" box I should look at as a streaming rookie. Thanks any help is appreciated and I'll continue to read up on all the great posts you all have contributed to.Smile

***edited out non appropriate line, sorry***
(2016-10-12, 22:49)Leoileone Wrote: I'm new here so if this is the wrong place to ask this kind of question i'm sorry. I have read most of the "get started stuff" and "box info" (thanks for all the great info) but still a bit confused for what best fits my needs. I wanted to ask about this box specifically since its at the Walmart down the street from me. If I just wanted this as my first streaming box would it be a good fit since I'm new to streaming boxes and just a novice techie, I don't need (yet) 4K or fancy stereo sound, I'm mainly looking for something I can use that has Kodi (or whatever is needed) for watching 1080p movies from "free" streaming sources, maybe ufc or live tv options if available, plus Netflix or Amazon prime if possible. Would this box work for my needs or is there a better "starter" box I should look at as a streaming rookie. Thanks any help is appreciated and I'll continue to read up on all the great posts you all have contributed to.Smile

The highlighted topic is not allow in this forum, everything else that you mention should be fine with your needs.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-10-12, 22:45)atv2jber Wrote: Note: Why is it that after going to Wal-mart, I always have a weird itch? :-) Maybe it's the unwashed masses.

Exactly, and the fact the stores around here are filthy as hell to boot, the majority of the people who patronize the store, and locations of said stores, well, you can guess the rest...
A lot of people Walmart is just another store, and in many cases can be clean and located in nice parts of town. A lot of those people really do want a nice device that supports specific things, like proper refresh rate switching. I used to shop there all the time back when I worked the night shift. It was the only store open while I was awake ;)

I mean, yeah, you see some interesting people in walmart sometimes, but those people need to go shopping too ;)

(anyone remember that website that had pictures of crazy people from walmart?)

A more accurate statement might be that, people who buy from retail in general probably don't care much about specs. Most tech-related purchases, that aren't time-sensitive but have specific requirements, seem to be done online. At least for the US.
Take it from an european going to the SF Bay from time to time, I didn't found Wallmart any different that other store chains like Target, really. If anything, Costco or Food4less seemed the lowest "grade".
I guess that, as everywhere, it mostly depend on the location rather than on the brand...
(2016-10-13, 10:26)Koying Wrote: Take it from an european going to the SF Bay from time to time, I didn't found Walmart any different that other store chains like Target, really. If anything, Costco or Food4less seemed the lowest "grade".
I guess that, as everywhere, it mostly depend on the location rather than on the brand...

People just like to complain, there is nothing wrong with Walmart
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
True ...except when you need customer service Smile.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-10-12, 13:39)hdmkv Wrote: Eek! Lots of work ahead for Xiaomi, assuming they take those particular issues seriously (maybe only HDR fix)... especially for the Wal-Mart crowd and masses they're after.

Agreed... I tried Kodi 17 Beta 3 on the new Mi Box... not good :S
(2016-10-13, 14:00)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-10-13, 10:26)Koying Wrote: Take it from an european going to the SF Bay from time to time, I didn't found Walmart any different that other store chains like Target, really. If anything, Costco or Food4less seemed the lowest "grade".

Target smells nicer than Walmart... Rofl
(2016-10-13, 20:41)seymourtv Wrote:
(2016-10-13, 14:00)movie78 Wrote:

Target smells nicer than Walmart... Rofl

So the Xiaomi thread turns out to be how bad is Walmart, we really need more hobbiesBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
(2016-10-08, 03:15)hdmkv Wrote: Don't get excited... Mi Box (in its present state) is a POS...

Tried SPMC and Kodi 17 beta 3...
- No 23.976
- No MPEG2 deinterlacing
- No HD audio
- No 3D MVC

... and sluggish. My Nexus Player seems like a rabbit compared to this turtle!

Is that really the case, I thought that all/most AMLogic devices has some sort of automagic deinterlacing.
I was hoping to replace the NP with one of these, the only shortcoming for me personally is the lack of auto deinterlacing on the NP.
This is disappointing.
(2016-10-12, 02:57)rodalpho Wrote: Straw man. I never said BDs are 15Mbps. That is obviously not true. I said 1080p video tops out around 15Mbps-- and unless you rip your BDs without compression, it does.

And that's the straw man. Unless you are referring to piracy, home movies or PVR, BD's are 1080p and all 1080p files come from BDs. The only difference is between compressed vs uncompressed, and not everyone compresses their files. Therefore, it's the max standard that's used, not your particular setup that sets the max standard.

(2016-10-13, 10:26)Koying Wrote: I guess that, as everywhere, it mostly depend on the location rather than on the brand...

Right. I have 4 Walmarts with a 30min drive of me, and all of them are somewhat different.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21