• 87(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2017-03-23, 23:29)steelgtr Wrote: Guys,

Just got my mi box and Netflix is definitely not HD or does it even give a DD 5.1 option in the options? Any ideas why?. That's why I bought this box! Also. my uploaded 4K YouTube videos only give 1080P as the highest choice?

thx

bob

Hi Steelgtr,

Need a bit more info than that.
Where did you get your MiBox? Is it definitely a mdz-16-ab (the model discussed in this forum) ?
How are you connecting? Wifi vs Ethernet
What other hardware are you using? TV / AVR etc
oh no, someone actually brought the update at $69 usd! Meanwhile im religously checking for updates on my box every few hours in vain lol
(2017-03-24, 00:06)woronczak Wrote:

Just got my mi box and Netflix is definitely not HD or does it even give a DD 5.1 option in the options? Any ideas why?. That's why I bought this box! Also. my uploaded 4K YouTube videos only give 1080P as the highest choice?

thx

bob

Hi Steelgtr,

Where did you get your MiBox? Is it definitely a mdz-16-ab (the model discussed in this forum) ?

Thanks,

Got it fro Walmart.. It's the right model. I tried WiFi and that was part of the Netflix problem ( I always use Ethernet in the living room) Netflix network test showed 3.5 Mbs/sec, I usually get 250 on my Beelink over Ethernet. I bough a USB/Ethernet adapter that Lon recommends and that got me up to 45Mbs in the Netflix test and the picture does look HD now but no 5.1 audio on any selections that I know have it.

And what's up with the Play store? Tried to search for speedtest.net app and got no results, just a few bogus recommendations!

And I bought a 3.5mm to toslink adaptor and changed audio output to SFDIF (sp)? to got to my McIntosh AVR.

thx

bob
(2017-03-24, 00:56)steelgtr Wrote:
(2017-03-24, 00:06)woronczak Wrote:

thx

bob

Hi Steelgtr,

Thanks,

Got it fro Walmart.. It's the right model. I tried WiFi and that was part of the Netflix problem ( I always use Ethernet in the living room) Netflix network test showed 3.5 Mbs/sec, I usually get 250 on my Beelink over Ethernet. I bough a USB/Ethernet adapter that Lon recommends and that got me up to 45Mbs in the Netflix test and the picture does look HD now but no 5.1 audio on any selections that I know have it.

And what's up with the Play store? Tried to search for speedtest.net app and got no results, just a few bogus recommendations!

And I bought a 3.5mm to toslink adaptor and changed audio output to SFDIF (sp)? to got to my McIntosh AVR.

thx

bob

Play store only lists Leanback (TV friendly) apps (so there are far fewer). You can sideload any app not listed (eg download from apkmirror, save to usb and install using a file manager - I used Xplore).

What device are you trying to playback netflix on? For 5.1 sound, your receiver must support Dolby Digital Plus (see https://help.netflix.com/en/node/14163). It will not even show up with 5.1 if it doesn't detect that it is compatible.
(2017-03-24, 02:33)woronczak Wrote:
(2017-03-24, 00:56)steelgtr Wrote:
(2017-03-24, 00:06)woronczak Wrote: Hi Steelgtr,

Thanks,

thx

bob

Play store only lists Leanback (TV friendly) apps (so there are far fewer). You can sideload any app not listed (eg download from apkmirror, save to usb and install using a file manager - I used Xplore).

What device are you trying to playback netflix on? For 5.1 sound, your receiver must support Dolby Digital Plus (see https://help.netflix.com/en/node/14163). It will not even show up with 5.1 if it doesn't detect that it is compatible.

I have a Mcintosh AVR that supports DD and DTS. The same AVR plays Netflix in 5.1 when using my Oppo Blu Ray player hooked up the same way (toslink) Samje Netflix account, Same AVR, Same TV. No DD option on the mi.

bob
I think that is how it is supposed to work as your amp doesn't support Dolby Digital plus (only Dolby Digital). My tv has a Netflix app where it always shows the 5.1 as well - it must be baked into the app for TVs and Blu-ray players etc, even when not connected to an amp (which my tv is not, so it can't output 5.1). For Android tv it looks for compatible hardware. For my tv with the built in Netflix, if I plug the mibox in, there is no option for 5.1 unless I plug into an amp with DD+. An amp with just DD is not enough (also tested).
(2017-03-24, 02:33)woronczak Wrote: Play store only lists Leanback (TV friendly) apps (so there are far fewer). You can sideload any app not listed (eg download from apkmirror, save to usb and install using a file manager - I used Xplore).
Easier method....

Playstores - differences between Android TV OS and Android (touchscreen) devices - Plus Easy install Apps Hints.

(2017-03-24, 09:34)woronczak Wrote: I think that is how it is supposed to work as your amp doesn't support Dolby Digital plus (only Dolby Digital). My tv has a Netflix app where it always shows the 5.1 as well - it must be baked into the app for TVs and Blu-ray players etc, even when not connected to an amp (which my tv is not, so it can't output 5.1). For Android tv it looks for compatible hardware. For my tv with the built in Netflix, if I plug the mibox in, there is no option for 5.1 unless I plug into an amp with DD+. An amp with just DD is not enough (also tested).
Same here, I get Netflix 5.1 Audio from the Mi Box (and TV - Netflix App) because my 4K TV Supports DD+

Only Android device I believe that can extract 5.1 DD Audio from 5.1/7.1 DD+ Audio with Netflix and Amazon Apps is the Amazon FireTV's.

thx

bob
Dumb question time...

Have you done the update?

Sent from my XT1585
(2017-03-24, 15:28)kdnoel Wrote:

thx

bob
Dumb question time...

Yes, Thanks if you mean the Large (500mb) Android update? Not sure if that is FW or OS?

bob

Sent from my XT1585 (typie typie)
(2017-03-24, 03:26)steelgtr Wrote:
(2017-03-24, 02:33)woronczak Wrote:
(2017-03-24, 00:56)steelgtr Wrote: Thanks,

thx

bob

I have a Mcintosh AVR that supports DD and DTS. The same AVR plays Netflix in 5.1 when using my Oppo Blu Ray player hooked up the same way (toslink) Samje Netflix account, Same AVR, Same TV. No DD option on the mi.

bob

(2017-03-24, 09:34)woronczak Wrote: I think that is how it is supposed to work as your amp doesn't support Dolby Digital plus (only Dolby Digital). My tv has a Netflix app where it always shows the 5.1 as well - it must be baked into the app for TVs and Blu-ray players etc, even when not connected to an amp (which my tv is not, so it can't output 5.1). For Android tv it looks for compatible hardware. For my tv with the built in Netflix, if I plug the mibox in, there is no option for 5.1 unless I plug into an amp with DD+. An amp with just DD is not enough (also tested).

Thanks guys

Interesting but disappointing. Not quite ready to upgrade the AVR!

bob
(2017-03-24, 15:28)kdnoel Wrote:

thx

bob
Dumb question time...

Sent from my XT1585 (typie typie)

Yes, Did the big android update that added Sling.

bob
For you guys having Netflix quality playback issues. Have you logged into your Netflix account via a computer and adjusted your playback settings to high?

I purposely have mine set to low to save bandwidth and I personally don't care about this high end playback.

I'm not a power user like some of you pros, but make sure you have your playback settings set to high if you haven't.
(2017-03-25, 00:51)crestorrep Wrote: For you guys having Netflix quality playback issues. Have you logged into your Netflix account via a computer and adjusted your playback settings to high?

I purposely have mine set to low to save bandwidth and I personally don't care about this high end playback.

I'm not a power user like some of you pros, but make sure you have your playback settings set to high if you haven't.

Good call. but yes, checked that. I get HD and 5.1 on my other device so my account is good.

bob
someone uses and can confirm that get the SPDIF output 5.1 audio into amplifier?

which cable should be used in Xiaomi Mi Box: mini-toslink to toslink or minijack to RCA ?

thanks
(2016-05-20, 07:27)Wheresthebeef Wrote: Here's a video I found where Hugo Barra (Xiaomi's Global VP) talks about the device.
He doesn't go into any real detail, but you can see how tiny the Mi Box actually is. He also says that the product will be available within a few months and the price will be "pretty amazing".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4h9uIFL...e=youtu.be
They stop talking about it at around 1:53

My opinion is that the price is good. Less than $100 CDN. But its not really an outstanding box. It performs adequately (especially for me on my 70" Plasma and only 1080p). It does everything adequately but so a lot of boxes in that price range.

With only 8GB of internal storage, in today's age its really not enough. I am using a a non-powered USB hub to which I have attached a 3TB portable HD and watch videos through SPMC. I also use a mouse, which I find faster in Kodi, Chrome and even moving between Apps instead of the click, click and I never know on which App its positioned.

I installed a 32GB USB 3.0 which I formatted as a internal HD. Big mistake. Kodi took over 5 mins to open and it appeared to mess up my mouse. I don't know if its the USB 3.0 that is to blame since its a USB 2.0 box.

I use the Harmony Elite and I never know if its powered on or off. When I shut down the Activities the faint oranage light is still on. When I start it switch the power off so I have to press the power button. No problem but a real pain.

I got a Shield, yesterday, and just installed it. Its like night and day with the Mi Box. The Shield is fast, amazingly so, and, at least I can find my PC with Kodi. In the Mi I still cannot find my PC. However, like everything else the Shield comes at a high cost $279 versus $100. But its worth it.Smile
  • 87(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21