• 156(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2018-07-13, 14:03)timstephens24 Wrote: Turning off auto resolution and using manual isn't a fix/workaround.
 Tbf it is a temporary workaround...
(2018-07-14, 20:55)blindhai Wrote:
(2018-07-13, 14:03)timstephens24 Wrote: Turning off auto resolution and using manual isn't a fix/workaround.
Let's see for how long it will be a temporary workaround for Xiaomi.
They frankly can't expect the users to change their resolution/refresh rate manually every time it's needed.

As I said, let's see...

No, it's not. Auto resolution/refresh rate change is broken, and has always been on this box.  Nothing fixes it and there's not a workaround that will make it work.  Setting a resolution and refresh rate manually does not fix the issue. To be fair about it is calling them out on it, not letting say that it's a "fix/workaround."
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2018-07-14, 23:00)timstephens24 Wrote:

No, it's not. Auto resolution/refresh rate change is broken, and has always been on this box.  Nothing fixes it and there's not a workaround that will make it work.  Setting a resolution and refresh rate manually does not fix the issue. To be fair about it is calling them out on it, not letting say that it's a "fix/workaround." 
 well, you cant use this feature, yes. Is it that big of a deal? Cant you watch your media without? Yes, you can. It might be not that perfect, but it would still work.
(2018-07-14, 23:25)blindhai Wrote:
(2018-07-14, 23:00)timstephens24 Wrote:
(2018-07-14, 20:55)blindhai Wrote:  Tbf it is a temporary workaround...    

well, you cant use this feature, yes. Is it that big of a deal? Cant you watch your media without? Yes, you can. It might be not that perfect, but it would still work. 
 As you say they call it a feature that simply is broken and apparently has been for quite a long time.

So, yes it is quite a big deal if features simply do not work as they are advertised. I don't know about you but I don't like to get fooled by a company advertising features that do not work!
(2018-07-15, 00:40)neik Wrote:
(2018-07-14, 23:25)blindhai Wrote:
(2018-07-14, 23:00)timstephens24 Wrote: No, it's not. Auto resolution/refresh rate change is broken, and has always been on this box.  Nothing fixes it and there's not a workaround that will make it work.  Setting a resolution and refresh rate manually does not fix the issue. To be fair about it is calling them out on it, not letting say that it's a "fix/workaround."  
 As you say they call it a feature that simply is broken and apparently has been for quite a long time.

So, yes it is quite a big deal if features simply do not work as they are advertised. I don't know about you but I don't like to get fooled by a company advertising features that do not work! 
 If the feature would be something like they say we support Widevine for Netflix and it does not, then i would agree. But this "broken feature" seems to be not THAT big of a deal, because so many people recommended this box anyway...without even mentioning that this box supposed to have this feature. I think that for most people is just "nice to have". But i am not the official defender for Xiaomi! I just dont get why people buy this box, knowing that feature is broken (when they cared for it and tried to get as much informations about it as posssible) and "hoping" that Xiaomi does care enough to fix this detail...kinda foolish if you ask me.
You seem to be assuming that people just recently bought the box and that it hasn't been out for almost two years with a lot of these same bugs.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2018-07-15, 16:33)timstephens24 Wrote: You seem to be assuming that people just recently bought the box and that it hasn't been out for almost two years with a lot of these same bugs.
 And you/people bought the box with specific feature in mind, when they bought it? Or what is your point?
(2018-07-15, 15:32)blindhai Wrote:
(2018-07-15, 00:40)neik Wrote:
(2018-07-14, 23:25)blindhai Wrote:  well, you cant use this feature, yes. Is it that big of a deal? Cant you watch your media without? Yes, you can. It might be not that perfect, but it would still work.  

If the feature would be something like they say we support Widevine for Netflix and it does not, then i would agree. But this "broken feature" seems to be not THAT big of a deal, because so many people recommended this box anyway...without even mentioning that this box supposed to have this feature. I think that for most people is just "nice to have". But i am not the official defender for Xiaomi! I just dont get why people buy this box, knowing that feature is broken (when they cared for it and tried to get as much informations about it as posssible) and "hoping" that Xiaomi does care enough to fix this detail...kinda foolish if you ask me. 
 Whether something is a big deal or not is not relevant.. 

If a feature is broken, and the 'fix' is to not use that feature... That isnt a fix then then is it ?? 

Anyway this is just one of 10s of deal breaker bugs that have been introduced with the Oreo update.. My many boxes are now paperweights.
(2018-07-16, 10:32)Phat Phreddy Wrote:
(2018-07-15, 15:32)blindhai Wrote:
(2018-07-15, 00:40)neik Wrote:  As you say they call it a feature that simply is broken and apparently has been for quite a long time.

If a feature is broken, and the 'fix' is to not use that feature... That isnt a fix then then is it ?? 

Anyway this is just one of 10s of deal breaker bugs that have been introduced with the Oreo update.. My many boxes are now paperweights. 
 A workaround is not a fix...it just makes the rest of the box work like it is intended.

I got it that you guys are mad, but this wouldnt be something that would give you the right to give the box back to the manufacturer.
(2018-07-16, 10:49)blindhai Wrote:
(2018-07-16, 10:32)Phat Phreddy Wrote:
(2018-07-15, 15:32)blindhai Wrote:  If the feature would be something like they say we support Widevine for Netflix and it does not, then i would agree. But this "broken feature" seems to be not THAT big of a deal, because so many people recommended this box anyway...without even mentioning that this box supposed to have this feature. I think that for most people is just "nice to have". But i am not the official defender for Xiaomi! I just dont get why people buy this box, knowing that feature is broken (when they cared for it and tried to get as much informations about it as posssible) and "hoping" that Xiaomi does care enough to fix this detail...kinda foolish if you ask me.  

A workaround is not a fix...it just makes the rest of the box work like it is intended.

I got it that you guys are mad, but this wouldnt be something that would give you the right to give the box back to the manufacturer. 
 No this wouldnt be.. 

The unusable wifi.. The reboots.. the non functional streaming.. The random app / box / everything crashes and hangs.. The overheating.. The HDCP / HDMI handshake issues.. The lost audio... Need I go on ? 

Those should be. I have 4 Mi Boxes. Not one of them is worth using now, I am getting by with a few fireTV boxes I had retired and some openelec / Pi / Kodi boxes I had laying about.
(2018-07-16, 10:55)Phat Phreddy Wrote:
(2018-07-16, 10:49)blindhai Wrote:
(2018-07-16, 10:32)Phat Phreddy Wrote:  Whether something is a big deal or not is not relevant.. 

No this wouldnt be.. 

The unusable wifi.. The reboots.. the non functional streaming.. The random app / box / everything crashes and hangs.. The overheating.. The HDCP / HDMI handshake issues.. The lost audio... Need I go on ? 

Those should be. I have 4 Mi Boxes. Not one of them is worth using now, I am getting by with a few fireTV boxes I had retired and some openelec / Pi / Kodi boxes I had laying about. 
 Then the question would be: Why did you buy the box at all, when it is THAT bad?
None of those issues existed for me until they forced the Oreo update without user permissions. 

Everything was fine..
(2018-07-16, 11:54)Phat Phreddy Wrote: None of those issues existed for me until they forced the Oreo update without user permissions. 

Everything was fine..
 ok, this point i get and understand. When you did not have a choice, then i understand.
  • 156(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21