Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2022-08-03, 09:51)moamoa Wrote:
(2022-08-03, 00:38)noggin Wrote: I personally wouldn't recommend the Google Chromecast with Google TV as it doesn't do refresh rate switching, and fixed 60Hz output is a no-no for me.
Yep, good point. Same for me. I'd want that too, can't stand juddering news tickers!! So, back to the Shield then...

Seems very little choice if you want something that actually works well.

I separated out my DRM streaming (Apple TV 4K does that) and my Kodi (CoreElec on AMLogic or LibreElec on Raspberry Pi 4B usually) requirements. The ATV 4K is the only platform I've found that properly handles refresh rate streaming on all the main DRM platforms (Netlifx, Prime Video, Disney+ and Apple TV+ and if I leave its default output at 50Hz then the few European streaming apps I watch that don't use the tvOS frame rate API properly are still fine).  CoreElec and LibreElec on AMLogic and the Pi 4B are both good for what they are - media playback - the Pi 4B has got a lot better now it supports HDR and HD Audio bit streaming, but there are still some rough edges.

For most the issue with CoreElec is finding a well made platform to run it on - lots of cheap Android boxes that can be persuaded to run CoreElec change their internal networking and WiFi chipsets, have poor cooling solutions etc., and getting CoreElec installed on some of them can require a bit of 'guide following' (Toothpicks in AV sockets etc.)

The Hard Kernel Odroid stuff has reports of patchy reliability, terrible warranties, and it's tricky to find a nice case (the Pi 4B has a good range of nicely engineered cases in comparison) - though for many these compromises make it an almost perfect platform for everything but UHD HDR DRM stuff.

The Shield TV is so close to being very good DRM + Kodi box - but there's always something that doesn't quite land (frame rate switching in DRM apps is a kludge at the moment for instance, and there are reports that the most recent Android TV updates have caused issues with some DV content)

(It's a pity that MrMC isn't currently being developed by the look of it. It was a good Kodi fork on the Apple TV tvOS platform - minus support for Python plugins to make it App Store compliant. It does have PVR support, and I use it regularly still on my Apple TV)

Messages In This Thread
NO Teamviewer - broken ! - by aubrey - 2017-06-07, 17:12
RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - by noggin - 2022-08-05, 11:03
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21