• 8(current)
v17 Music Library Improvements - Krypton
Hello all,

I've tried Krypton alpha back in June using wsnipex compilations on Ubuntu 16.04 and music library functions were working OK (IMHO). Yesterday I've tried latest build and I can say that Kodi has no option known before as "Include artists that only appear on compilations". Is it as expected with this build? I hope it will re-appear in final builds :-)
Should be there under settings >> library >> music
There is no such option, checked with expert settings level.

To be clear - personally I need this setting disabled. But in recent builds I see that it's enabled by default and I cannot switch it off.
(2016-08-24, 22:32)BigL-New Wrote: There is no such option, checked with expert settings level.

To be clear - personally I need this setting disabled. But in recent builds I see that it's enabled by default and I cannot switch it off.

Make sure you are on a skin that is aligned with Krypton B1, as settings are all changed around.

It is in a new settings category named "media settings" / music / library / show song and album artists
This used to be called "library settings" earlier.

scott s.
Thanks for info, I've checked and it's really there :-)

IMHO previous name was much better, new one is highly misleading. But description on bottom clears everything along with placement in "library section".
BTW for me it was even harder to guess also for another reason - I use polish regional settings and polish translation of setting name and also translation of bottom description is even more misleading. So based on polish translations it was for me 100% clear that it's really different setting :-)
(2016-08-25, 23:09)BigL-New Wrote: Thanks for info, I've checked and it's really there :-)

IMHO previous name was much better, new one is highly misleading. But description on bottom clears everything along with placement in "library section".
BTW for me it was even harder to guess also for another reason - I use polish regional settings and polish translation of setting name and also translation of bottom description is even more misleading. So based on polish translations it was for me 100% clear that it's really different setting :-)

Well, you are kind of at the mercy of the Polish translate team on transifex. (I understand you can ask to join the team. I think that is the only way to submit comments on actual translations.). The label was changed, as the switch is between entries that were tagged as "album artist" only, and entries that were tagged as "album artist" or (song) "artist". The second option does not depend on if a song is considered part of a "compilation" or not.

scott s.
could the artist and album nfo info and art work be added to the music video section as is in the music library?
(2016-09-07, 02:50)smitchell6879 Wrote: could the artist and album nfo info and art work be added to the music video section as is in the music library?

Could it? Sure. But as it presently stands music video is a type of video and is stored in the video database. Within skin there is no way I can think of to join music video to the music database, however it should be possible in an add-on to use the JSON interface to get the artist name and album name from the video database and use that to find the artistid and albumid in the music database (assuming the text strings for those do match between the two databases). Once the add-on has the ids it can query the music database for art or details then most likely set properties on the window for the skin to display.

scott s.
I’ve used Kodi mainly as music player for some time but I’m quite new to the forum so I hope I post in the right thread. I’ve installed Beta 1 to try it out and found some bugs. I also have a few questions.

Bug: The “View Type” can’t be changed in some display categories. I didn’t go through all, but my main concern is the ones I use most - “Files” and “Singles”. The options are greyed out and is locked to WideList.

Bug: “Year” appears in all View Types even if set to not show in Media Settings.

Bug: Can’t turn off “Lyrics” and can’t uninstall lyrics plugin. (Installed by default?)

Bug (and/or request?): Show “Album Artist” in all music library views, not as now – only in WideList. I prefer to show my library in View Type “Wall” and it makes no sense to me that Year and Album Title is shown by default. It should rather be Album Artist and Album Title. If you sort a physical collection of CDs or LPs, or visit a record store, the natural thing is to look for “D” for Def Leppard – not “H” for Hysteria or the year 1987 to find it..

Since Jarvis and now in Krypton I have a problem with my compilation albums showing up under both ”Compilations” and ”Albums”. It used to – and I want it to – only appear under “Compilations”. I made no changes in my library, this happened after updating to Jarvis. I use local information only settings and my files are tagged with mp3tag.de. The tag “Album Artist” is set to “Various Artists” and used to work well before. Did I miss any setting or is there something I need to change in my tags?

Finally I like to bump this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=239828
I’ve never understood why the track currently playing isn’t synced with the cover art shown. It makes no sense that the cover art shows the item where the cursor is pointing. All major streaming services works like this, so why not the incredible Kodi? Wink
This is probably a "partially correct" thread. This is mainly about changes to the music database, and how that information gets scanned from tags. Secondarily it is about the default database views aka library nodes that Kodi provides, as well as the ability to create or modify the view nodes. Along with that the ability to filter the views or create smart playlists as an alternative. So your question re compilations I think is on-topic (unfortunately I don't really use "compilations" except for things like OST/soundtracks and setting AA to Various Artists usually works for me (note that there is language localization applied) and in some cases using the compilation tag set to "1" in the song file tags. So maybe Dave or someone more tuned in to compilation handling can reply.

As far as what gets displayed to the user, the view provides a set of possible info and art and it is a skin function to display it. Most skins provide various view "modes" and Kodi saves the mode in use. Some of the "heavier" skins also use python scripting to add value to the interface (there's some things you can do in Python that just don't work well in skin language). Best is to ask in the appropriate skin support thread.

Your final question I agree! In the skin I maintain (Aeon MQ5) I have looked at all different ways to get the musicplaylist and videoplaylist windows (at least in a viewmode called "rightlist") to force focus to the "nowplaying" item on the list. It's easy in party mode because that item is always the first one. I would also like a way to save the current playing item position in a playlist so I have the option of reloading the playlist and resuming play at that point. But this stuff is not really on-topic for the Krypton music database discussion.

scott s.
(2016-09-11, 00:10)Andrew-M Wrote: Bug: The “View Type” can’t be changed in some display categories. I didn’t go through all, but my main concern is the ones I use most - “Files” and “Singles”. The options are greyed out and is locked to WideList.

Bug: “Year” appears in all View Types even if set to not show in Media Settings.

Bug: Can’t turn off “Lyrics” and can’t uninstall lyrics plugin. (Installed by default?)

Bug (and/or request?): Show “Album Artist” in all music library views, not as now – only in WideList. I prefer to show my library in View Type “Wall” and it makes no sense to me that Year and Album Title is shown by default. It should rather be Album Artist and Album Title. If you sort a physical collection of CDs or LPs, or visit a record store, the natural thing is to look for “D” for Def Leppard – not “H” for Hysteria or the year 1987 to find it..

All of those sound like issues with Estuary which is the new default skin, you can either swich back to Confluence or try one of the other skins.

(2016-09-11, 00:10)Andrew-M Wrote: Finally I like to bump this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=239828
I’ve never understood why the track currently playing isn’t synced with the cover art shown. It makes no sense that the cover art shows the item where the cursor is pointing. All major streaming services works like this, so why not the incredible Kodi? Wink
While in a view for selecting music then yes the details for the selected item is shown, but perhaps there could be a side menu option to toggle between "details for selected item" and "details for playing item".
Andrew firstly thank you for trying out Krypton and providing feedback, it is appreciated.

jjd_uk is right, all the things you list are problems with Estuary the new default skin. I will copy your comments to that sub-forum, and hope that one of the skinners has the time and interest to look at fixing things. It is not my area of expertise. Meanwhile you could try Confluence, I generally work using that because of the defficiencies in Estuary, but you will need to fetch the lastest version from the repo. The most up todate version (matching nightlies) is here https://github.com/xbmc/skin.confluence

Quote:Since Jarvis and now in Krypton I have a problem with my compilation albums showing up under both ”Compilations” and ”Albums”. It used to – and I want it to – only appear under “Compilations”. I made no changes in my library, this happened after updating to Jarvis. I use local information only settings and my files are tagged with mp3tag.de. The tag “Album Artist” is set to “Various Artists” and used to work well before. Did I miss any setting or is there something I need to change in my tags?

What Kodi sees as a compilation is a bit messy, and how it handles "various artists" even more so. There was a tidy up in Jarvis, hence your experience of something changing, but that impacted artists not albums so not entirely sure what you are seeing. I get abums listed under both "Compilations” and ”Albums" in Isengard too.

More needs to be done in Kodi to make it consistent, but I suspect that you will also need to adjust your tags. Let me get back to that with a specific post.

As for the sync of art and track playing.... I did have a look at this, and the varied routes through the code to playing something make it hard to decern why this doesn't work or how to fix it. I also have to admit to lacking motivation too, I don't generally listen with the TV on so I don't experience the issue. Hence my focus on library issues and features (and JSON API to support it), but I would happily support someone that wanted to work on this.
Thanks for your comments Scott and jjd-uk, and sorry if some of my issues were off topic. In the release announcements it is asked for opinions, but I can’t find a proper “release thread” to post in.

(2016-09-11, 10:48)jjd-uk Wrote: All of those sound like issues with Estuary which is the new default skin, you can either swich back to Confluence or try one of the other skins.

Yes, I should have been clearer. I am referring to the options in the default skins Confluence/Jarvis vs Estuary/Krypton and how previous options seem to have disappeared in Estuary/Krypton. The result of lacking settings is that I can’t display the information as before, so this is more of a tag displaying issue rather than tag reading. I know that Aeon and other skins offer more settings for this, but I like the simplicity with the default ones. I’ll take your advice Scott and move this on to another thread and hope those settings can re-appear.

(2016-09-11, 10:48)jjd-uk Wrote: While in a view for selecting music then yes the details for the selected item is shown, but perhaps there could be a side menu option to toggle between "details for selected item" and "details for playing item".

That could be a solution for an extra feature when browsing lists and playing music at the same time, but I was referring to the playlist mode.

Kodi is an outstanding media player, but I guess we all use it in different ways. What I find most frustrating about certain missing features is probably a small matter for someone else.
It seems we cross-posted Andrew, so do check my previous post.
(2016-09-11, 11:55)DaveBlake Wrote: Andrew firstly thank you for trying out Krypton and providing feedback, it is appreciated.
Thanks Dave for your comments, I do understand some things better now!
(2016-09-11, 11:55)DaveBlake Wrote: I don't generally listen with the TV on so I don't experience the issue.
That's exactly what I meant, how we all use Kodi in different ways. To me half the pleasure is to watch funny covers when listening to old 80's songs Laugh
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library Improvements - Krypton1