v17 Music Library Improvements - Krypton
TESTERS WANTED

New test version of music improvements available here 8a21383 That is the windows link, but other platform versions are available. Or if you can complile yourself just pull the code from my Git repo.

I have reworked the SQL used, so it would be very helpful if people could try this out. Much as I would like to have this fix in v17, because other team members lack familairity with the music db schema they can not tell from looking at the code that this is correct. I am also fixing bugs that so far only I have noticed. So I need to be able to prove it works in practice before anything like it will be merged into master this late in the release cycle.

The testing required is to use the genre, artist and album nodes, and any custom nodes you may have created, and ensure that what gets found as you navigate makes sense to you. If you have custom nodes, then please try to unsure you also look at the default nodes that come with this build - your existsing menu structure will prevet this from being seen unless you copy the new structure into your userdata. Also, if you have suitably tagged music, to look at composers or conductors too.

And just to repeat it is good to use portable mode when testing initially.

Explanation of Changes (for those that really want to know)
  1. The most noticeable change for users is that the albumartistsonly flag is now also used to determine what albums are shown for an artist. This has been requested before: say artistA has many albums, but features on a song or two by albums by other artists. When drilling down from artistA you used to see all these albums, now if albumartistsonly flag is enbled (either for that node in or via the system setting) you will only see those where artistA is the album artist. Looking at album artists only then what you get is just their albums; looking at song artists you get the lot just like before.

2. There were flaws in my initial implementation of the SQL to say get composers when the album artists only flag was set. This build sorts that all out. If trying to find say composers that are album artists too, you get those artists that composed a song and was the album artist for that song. Before the conditions were not tied together correctly.

3. Songs on the same album could have different genres, so this now has a similar tie of conditions when combining role (or album artist) and genre. Rather than fetch albums that have songs with composer X and songs with genre Y, it now fetches albums that have songs with both composer X and genre Y (same song).

4. Finally, it consistently uses just song genre for genre queries (as playlists rules do). Some options used to use album genre as well, which was always set to the song genre of the 1st song anyway. Although the album genre an be changed using NFO files or JSON, that change isn't saved in the album_genre table, so what gets displayed and what is used for matching selection criteria can differ. A rework of Genre is due in v18, but some consistency now makes sense.

Messages In This Thread
RE: TESTERS WANTED: Krypton 17 Music Library Improvements - by DaveBlake - 2016-11-21, 18:57
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library Improvements - Krypton1