Advice for new box
Yes - I really wouldn't recommend the C2 for Android either. It's fun to play with Android on it - but it's not currently a really viable Kodi platform with Android.

With LibreElec it flys (few rough edges - but they are being knocked off pretty quickly. PCM multichannel output and better VC-1 support are all that's left really - as few think 24p Frame Packed output is currently an option)
Android is not a priority. I already have an Android smartphone and tablet. I was just asking for a tutorial on how to install stuff. Plus, if in the future I see a need to have Android, I can always buy another eMMC card and make it dual-boot...ish by changing cards, right?

One thing that turned me down with the Iomega TV was the fact that I was hostage to the pre-installed OS. Especially when it was discontinued while still in development. Wouldn't the same thing be bound to happen with the hub?
(2016-05-31, 11:17)Calado Wrote: One thing that turned me down with the Iomega TV was the fact that I was hostage to the pre-installed OS. Especially when it was discontinued while still in development. Wouldn't the same thing be bound to happen with the hub?

Few reasons this is less likely to be an issue :

1. This is Wetek's core business, it's not like IOMega where it was a sideline (or Boxee where they were trying to do both hardware and full ecosystem development) so they are unlikely to disappear. They are still providing active support for their older products like the Wetek Play.

2. The Hub, like the ODroid C2, has LibreElec devs developing for it, and unlike the Boxee box, Wetek provide support for third party developers to run their own OS builds rather than trying to prevent it.

Wetek really are 'good guys' in the Kodi Open Source arena - they do things by the book, and engage with the development community.
Plus I would also add:

- WeTek are a Kodi Diamond Sponsor

- WeTek will very soon have 7 Kodi compatible media players on the Market. They are not going away anytime soon.

- Their Kodi developers are at this moment rewriting the amcodec decoder so their AMLogic products will actually work properly by the time Kodi Krypton is finished. AML at the moment is pretty broken so far as Kodi Krypton A/V playback is concerned. This Code is Kodi open source so any coding mods will be freely distributed. Test versions of this modded AML Krypton decoder are already in the WeTek Core thread.

The one spanner in the works may be if Kernel modifications are also needed for Kodi Krypton on AMLogic devices. WeTek and the other well supported AMLogic boxes you see here on the Kodi forums would get easily fixed BUT nearly all of those unsupported cheap AML Android (Pirate) boxes from Asia would then be stuck at Kodi Jarvis. Which would actually be a very good thing. Wink

So, what are you guys saying? The WeTek Hub will be a better purchase than the ODROID C2 or is this just about having an Android environment? Because I don't need it to be Android. Like I stated in the opening post, I need a device to watch TV shows that I don't have access to with my TV service provider, that's all. I asked for Spotify, Youtube or IPTV in a previous post just as curiosity. The prime goal is to watch my shows.

As I also stated, I'm not (or even pretend to be) an expert on the subject. I'm not even laic. Words like Kernel, AMLogic, eMMC, PCM or VC-1 lead me straight to a google search. I don't even know what they mean Blush

Cheers

Edit: I'm not complaining, just reminding I'm new at this. I know you're trying to help.
I will put it this way... I test and develop / distribute OpenELEC / LibreELEC for a number of AML boxes including WeTek's Core.
I'm also testing a WeTek Hub development board at the moment but have not seen a OE/LE version for it yet, so in all honesty I cannot tell you what is better. Its definitely a nicer looking wee little box.
I also know the Android OS on it is slick and pretty polished already, with a few WeTek (Jarvis) Media player bugs I'm pushing to get fixed before release Smile

What I do know is there is currently some patches for Kodi Jarvis and Firmware patches in the C2 that other OE/LE AML platforms do not have yet.
My OE distribution on the Core has some as I put them in there. I will also do a very similar version of LE for the Hub when possible.

The one thing we do know already is what works on the C2 and what does not, so you know exactly what you are getting with LibreELEC.
Ultimately its up to the purchaser and what they feel comfortable going with. Its an individual decision.

(2016-05-31, 18:59)wrxtasy Wrote: What I do know is there is currently some patches for Kodi Jarvis and Firmware patches in the C2 that other OE/LE AML platforms do not have yet.

The one thing we do know already is what works on the C2 and what does not, so you know exactly what you are getting with LibreELEC.

Gotcha. I'm going for the C2 then.

I'd just like to get a link on how to install Kodi so I can get on with it when I get it.

I'll give a report saying if I managed to get it working or not so you can close the thread or I need some assistance. Wink
Installation instructions are all in the LibreELEC Wiki:
https://wiki.libreelec.tv/index.php?title=Installation

C2 LibreELEC Images, click link below: Smile
V
V

Hey guys.

I got my C2 and flashed kodi with no problems. But I do have an issue.

- I took out the jumper on the Micro Usb so it wouldn't be used as power adaptor, as I intend to connect it to the plug.
- Moved the LAN cable from IomegaTV to C2. Internet connection works perfectly.
- Connected IomegaTV to C2 though a USB(IomegaTV)/Micro-USB(C2) cable. Kodi does not detect the hard drive in the IomegaTV. IomegaTV is powered on. Kodi does detect other flash drives (USB sticks and microSD cards)

Any thoughts?

Cheers
I'm not that familiar with the IomegaTV but believe you can setup options within it to share files over a home Network. See Page #9 here:
https://deepwater.lenovo.com/wiki/images...NPI_V3.pdf

If that is the case you would connect the IomegaTV to your local home Ethernet Network and just get the IomegaTV to serve files that the C2 can connect to with Kodi.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources

The problem here is my powerline Adaptor only has one ethernet outlet. Anyway, I've set the IomegaTV near the router. I guess 100Mbps LAN speed is enough to stream through. Otherwise, I'll just get a switch.

Now I just have to find out which add-ons I need. Wink

Thanks a bunch for all the help. You can close the thread.

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice for new box0