Kodi on ARM
Over the past year or so. Chromebooks and ARM processors have really been taking off so I just had to buy one as well to see what it had to offer. I own the Asus C201(the ARM Rockchip Chromebook) and I had begun searching for a way to run Kodi on it and have my library from my PC on my laptop. However, this was to no avail as trying to install it under Ubuntu (Chroot install), it would not install as there is no ARM version that is officially supported.

What I want to see is Kodi being brought over to Chromebooks (yes, I know it can be installed on the x86 Chromebooks, but more and more are becoming ARM chromebooks as they offer better battery life) or at least ported for ARM. An even better question is if Kodi will be supported when the Android apps hit the Chromebook as currently running Kodi with ARC Welder fails.

I really hope I can enjoy Kodi on my Chromebook and other ARM devices in the future.
Thanks for reading! Smile
There are lots of ARM platforms that run Kodi - Broadcom (Raspberry Pi), AMLogic S805/812/905 (ODroid C1, C2, Wetek Core, MiniMX etc.), i.MX6 (Vero, Cubox-i etc.) all have reasonable to great implementations.

The problem isn't the lack of an ARM version of Kodi - it's that the Rockchip used in the ARM Chromebook you have has poor open source driver support in Linux for video acceleration, so developing Kodi that is optimised for it is a non-starter. Same is true of the Allwinner ARM platform.
(2016-05-31, 01:04)noggin Wrote: There are lots of ARM platforms that run Kodi - Broadcom (Raspberry Pi), AMLogic S805/812/905 (ODroid C1, C2, Wetek Core, MiniMX etc.), i.MX6 (Vero, Cubox-i etc.) all have reasonable to great implementations.

The problem isn't the lack of an ARM version of Kodi - it's that the Rockchip used in the ARM Chromebook you have has poor open source driver support in Linux for video acceleration, so developing Kodi that is optimised for it is a non-starter. Same is true of the Allwinner ARM platform.

Thanks for the information. So since this is a hardware issue which is what you are getting at. What about porting the Android version over? I do know it runs well on phones and tablets, and media boxes with quite "locked up" drivers for them.

Since it does run great on there even without proper driver support, can anything be done about this specific Chromebook as well as the many other Rock chip Chromebooks?
(2016-05-31, 01:53)christopher876 Wrote:
(2016-05-31, 01:04)noggin Wrote: There are lots of ARM platforms that run Kodi - Broadcom (Raspberry Pi), AMLogic S805/812/905 (ODroid C1, C2, Wetek Core, MiniMX etc.), i.MX6 (Vero, Cubox-i etc.) all have reasonable to great implementations.

Thanks for the information. So since this is a hardware issue which is what you are getting at. What about porting the Android version over? I do know it runs well on phones and tablets, and media boxes with quite "locked up" drivers for them.

Since it does run great on there even without proper driver support, can anything be done about this specific Chromebook as well as the many other Rock chip Chromebooks?

Afraid I have no idea. Has someone ported Android properly to the Rockchip Chromebooks, or are you talking about the future situation where some Chromebooks will be able to run Android?

I guess in either case it will depend how well the media framework has been implemented.

(Not much consolation - but OpenElec+Kodi on the Acer C720 Chromebook worked pretty well when I used to use it)
(2016-05-31, 02:40)noggin Wrote:
(2016-05-31, 01:53)christopher876 Wrote:

Afraid I have no idea. Has someone ported Android properly to the Rockchip Chromebooks, or are you talking about the future situation where some Chromebooks will be able to run Android?

I guess in either case it will depend how well the media framework has been implemented.

(Not much consolation - but OpenElec+Kodi on the Acer C720 Chromebook worked pretty well when I used to use it)

I have checked probably everything for the Asus C201. There isn't an Android port for it or the other Rockchip Devices.
Yes I am also speaking of the future for Android Apps on the Chromebooks similar to how VLC works right now (The one on the Chrome store which is actually just the Android version). So yes that is what I'm wondering if it will have proper support compared to the Android chips that are "locked up" like the Exynos CPUs.

To address your mention of the Acer C720, it has much more support than any other Chromebook I have been researching about for the past couple of days. And besides, it is x86 based so anything can run on it, even Windows.
About the Acer C720, I would have bought that one, however. I got this Asus C201 for $125 New so I couldn't really pass up on that. And besides it was my first Chromebook and I needed to get a feel for things.

I'm really just hoping for the best if the Android App will be the only way to run it.
List of Chromebooks that are going to receive support for the google play store can be found here

http://phandroid.com/2016/05/19/chromebo...lay-store/

and yes it does list the ASUS C201 so once that comes around you could give the android version of KODI or SPMC a try and see if it works for you.
And before the inevitable question of "Why no RK support (Rockchip)?" in Kodi this thread should be read thoroughly:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=262906

Basically I would not be buying any Hardware with a RockChip ARM SoC in it to run Kodi period.

(2016-05-31, 05:43)wrxtasy Wrote: And before the inevitable question of "Why no RK support (Rockchip)?" in Kodi this thread should be read thoroughly:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=262906

Basically I would not be buying any Hardware with a RockChip ARM SoC in it to run Kodi period.
Thank you! That was I was looking for.
Install ARC Welder from herehttps://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...p-launcher
Then get the kodi apk of your choice
Choose a directory
Test apk
App will launch and wait some time

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on ARM0