What is the inefficency in Kodi for HEVC?
I'm sorry but I am NOT posting with the sample clip. It's only downloading at 200KB/s, I worked 12hrs today, I work 12hrs tomorrow, I don't have time to wait for it to finish. I'll test using the sample later. I'm using a different 4K sample of some Japanese broadcast I got from Nyaa.eu which I won't link.

On my i7 3770K, a quad core overclocked 4.3ghz to with a Radeon HD 7950, again, hardware that can't possibly have any HEVC hardware decoding. I manage about 30% CPU usage in MPC-HC and in Kodi it comes short, CPU is 80% or higher, decoding framerate is about 30fps, it keeps getting behind the audio and once it's about 7 seconds out of sync it jumps the video ahead, garbling the image.

I've tried switching renders in MPC-HC and the 'Old Rendrer' is the slowest, it uses 50% CPU on my 4930K where as the enhanced video renderer manages 30% CPU usage or so on the 4930K.

A little slower and with less than 8MB of L2 Cache now! The i5 4590, clock speed quad core and this one lacks any hyper threading so it'll be less efficient with it's cores overall. This is a Haswell, it DOES have HEVC decoding, but the IGP is disabled because there's a Radeon HD 6950 in it instead. So no HEVC decoding is possible with how it's currently configured. With MPC-HC using the enhanced renderer we're seeing 80% or so CPU usage but it's much more irregular, ranging from 65% and sometimes kissing 100% but it seems to playback correctly. There could be the occasional dropped frame in there though. On Kodi we see the CPU nearly maxing out as best it can and a framerate of around 28fps.

So now I'm going to do a test, because I'm wondering if this is JUST HEVC. I'm going to test some 4K h.264 clips in software mode only. I'm going to use my Season 3 Video Game High School episodes since I have them laying around. I'm only testing on my i7 4930K. I'm wondering if it's an issue of rendering separate from decoding. ...But it would appear not, MPC-HC and Kodi both average around 15% CPU to decode this 4K, 24fps, h.264 encode. About the same really.

So I do have some HEVC 1080p 24fps files to test, let's do that next. ...And I'll spare you the boredom of specs, we see a similar disparity. 5% or so CPU usage on MPC-HC vs 10% or so on Kodi for the same file. That's double the CPU load to do the same task in HEVC. Though I admit that at such low demands, it can be hard to separate the decoding from the rest of the software and the background OS. I don't have time tonight but I will try to make a 1080p 60fps HEVC test file to better stress test the HEVC decoder at 1080p.

But I think Kodi may have a software HEVC issue. In software decoding MPC-HC and Kodi maintain parity for H.264 in software, but for HEVC there's a huge difference in performance. I'll post more probably Saturday night once I'm done my 68hr work week to try and help more. Sorry for the rushed, sloppy post, I got sleeping to go do soon. Tongue

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the inefficency in Kodi for HEVC? - by DJ_Izumi - 2016-06-03, 04:09
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the inefficency in Kodi for HEVC?0