What is the inefficency in Kodi for HEVC?
(2016-06-05, 08:06)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:21:08:00 T:15076 DEBUG: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg - open frame threaded with 16 threads
21:08:00 T:15076 DEBUG: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg - Updated codec: ff-hevc

Threading wise it works as we intended it.

Yes, but this isn't really the crux of my post here. I'm asking why Kodi seems to demand much more resources for HEVC decoding. I undersetand that you developers have put a lot of work into Kodi and while I'm only on the outside looking in, it seems that something in Kodi is drastically dragging it down in terms of performance when compared to other software that uses FFMPEG. I had wondered if it was something in rendering, which is why I compared h.264 4K 60FPS clips but those seem to yield equal performance.

I get that 4K really isn't 'here' yet, even where I work in post production, 90% of the films going through our office are still 2K (Sometimes higher than 2K, but more like 2.3K or 2.4K). I also get that most 4K will be 24fps, which would be much more approachable than 60fps. All my quad core machines can do 24fps 4K HEVC in Kodi without any trouble. But still, I think there's a problem in HEVC decoding in Kodi and I hope to have the devs look into it. Be it a 'problem' or something that's just in the nature of how Kodi works with the format. I've seen other threads asking the question before and they never got very far. I hope that the developers feel that it warrents investigation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the inefficency in Kodi for HEVC? - by DJ_Izumi - 2016-06-05, 14:02
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the inefficency in Kodi for HEVC?0