Please help me get KAI online (WiFi)
Hi there..
I have some serious problems getting my Kai to work..

I have tried the teamxlink forums, got some help there, but it still doesn't work, and now I don't get any answers at all there.. I'm back at square 1..

I've been trying to get my xbox to work with kai for several days now without any success.
I'm using my wireless PC to connect the xbox like this:

Modem-------->Router~~~>Computer---(crossovercable)--->xbox

I've read and read, but can't find the solution.. I guess I have done something wrong along the way.
It semes like I can't get the Xbox to communicate with the PC.
I have tried several different setups and portfwd, and I actually managed to get the XBMC KAI UI to work..

I am able to browse the arenas, players and games in the Xbox but even if I seme to be connected I can't get it to work in Halo2

I've tried to start the game both from the Xbox HDD, and from the KAI menu, then I choosed System Link, and clicked my way through the different options to eventually come to a screen that says "Available games".
All I can see there is Start a new game.
I have been waiting up to 20 minutes without seeing anything.
My PC's wireless card supports being runned in promiscuous mode if that matters in this case.
Don't know if I'm supposed to enable it in any way..

I use the latest XBMC, and I have created a networkbridge jut to test it out, but it still doesn't show any games in the "available games" menu..
However the Xbox is online, I can use my scripts, and see the weather and so on.
I can even see my Xbox connected to my lappy in KAI UI on the PC now.. It says "192.168.1.6 KAI UI Attached" wich is the XBOX static IP.

No software firewall, and I have opened port 30000 (same as in the Kai config) UDP to my PC IP running the KAI engine (192.168.1.3 static) in my router (3Com).

This is what my KAI config looks like
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/9692/kaiuivy1.th.jpg

What on earth can I do...?

Regards

@ndy
k for starters don't use XBMC kai until you know you can use it on the PC .. follow these steps in this order ..

load halo2 on your xbox and go to the system link option..

load kai on your PC , click the globe at the top of kai to enter arena mode .. navigate to the game arena of choice .. play.

you may need to setup ICS with the setup you have as well.

where is the thread on teamxlink forums where no one answered ? ..
hicaow Wrote:k for starters don't use XBMC kai until you know you can use it on the PC .. follow these steps in this order ..

load halo2 on your xbox and go to the system link option..

load kai on your PC , click the globe at the top of kai to enter arena mode .. navigate to the game arena of choice .. play.

you may need to setup ICS with the setup you have as well.

where is the thread on teamxlink forums where no one answered ? ..

Wow that was fast!

Yes I got answers, but none of them got me online, and now I haven't got any replies in two-three days, maybe they have runned out of ideas, or maybe they just got tired of me hehe, I don't really know.

I haven't heard anything about "ICS", don't know what that is, but I'm gonna look into it more, if you care to explain to me what I need to do!

Thanks for your reply
Does your xbox have internet connectivity when connected to pc/router/modem.... (On XBMC home screen you'll see the rss news feed scrolling across the bottom of PMIII Home screen)

If not we need to setup the ICS (Internet connection sharing) although since you have a router it'd be best to connect your xbox to this instead of the PC/ICS.

Maybe it'd also be a good thing to put your port settings back to default, since changing then didn't solve your problems.

Also what Hicaow said, forget XBMC kai untill you confirm it working via PC.

Shorty
Also, yes if connecting the PC wirelessly, it must support promiscuous mode.

However, since wifi has its own additional things that could go wrong, i'd get it working first while hardwired, then get the wifi bit going.

Shorty
ICS = Internet Connection Sharing ..

http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-netxp.asp

its like using a bridge but kai doesn't like bridges on the connection so we use ICS instead ..
Ahh ok..
Well I have the Xbox online, I see the RSS feeds and I can use all my onlinebased scripts..
It's just the Xlink that doesn't work for me..

Also I had both the xbox and the PC hardwired to the router just to test, but even that didn't help me..
I can use a wired setup, but I would prefer to have it wireless since the router is placed in another building and the wireing wouldn't be pretty at all.
However I can hardwire it until I get it to work if that's gonna be easier.
I can try it again, but I'd really be in need for a newbie walkthrough for that to work, because I have heard of so many different ways to get all of my different setups to work that it has become a complete blur of it all to me..
Oh.. Didn't know it didn't support bridged mode.. Guess I have to try this ICS before hardwireing anything..
Be sure to know that I'll probably be back in a few though.. Wink
in the kai config the network card listed has to be the one that the xbox is hooked up to .. if you have the xbox crossover into the PC you have to select that network card ..
I greatly appreciating all your help!
Now I've configured the computer and the xbox properly I think, and I have made at least one step in my progress to be able to play online, now KAI detects my xbox, and it is online!

However when entering Halo2 and system link I still don't see any available games Sad
An I did it in the order I was told, first, I loaded Halo2 and enter the system link, then I start the KAI engine, and choose an arena.
Shouldn't that be it? When I see KAI pings the users online in the arena I should be online?

I tried 2 times by restarting the xbox..
First KAI on the PC showed 192.168.1.7 is attached,
the second time it showed 192.168.0.83 is attached..

Does this matter?
I just followed the guide posted above how to set up ICS, and it said that the client should be set to DHCP.

The wireless (internet NIC) IP: DHCP/auto
Ethernet (LAN) IP: 192.168.0.1 Static
Xbox IP: DHCP/auto
Router: 192.168.1.1

Have I done something wrong again?
if your trying to play halo2 make sure you join a private arena on the left side of the screen ..

Quote:forget XBMC kai untill you confirm it working via PC.

go into settings / programs and disable kai XBMC until you know you can play online .. it doesn't matter what the xbox IP is , system link traffic is not IP based ..

are you running any software firewalls ?
Yes!
Finally it works..

Thanks alot for your efforts!

Seems like Halo2 is one of few games left in xlink that people still plays..
I think it's tme for a 360 soon =)
Did you find what was causing it to not work, or was it just random?

An a side note, what's your kai username, we should build a group of non halo 2 players. Smile

It's the worst thing that halo 2 is mostly the only game people play, great game though.

Shorty
i don't even own halo2 and i play on kai everyday .. theirs lots of great games .. farcry , conflict global , phantom dust , rallisport2 .. list goes on ..
Yeah, you are right, lots of good games.

I play some of them with my real Life friends over kai.

But Most arenas are almost always empty, a few people in a handfull of them, and usually several hundred in halo 2, many others seem to be always empty.

It'd be great if they were spread out a bit more evenly, usualy when i want to play PGR2 there's nobody there Sad

Shorty

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help me get KAI online (WiFi)0