Turning Settings.xml into a dialog
Put simply, I want the Settings window to become just another part of the Home interface, popping up as an overlay but not as a replacement.

Can this be done? I tried changing the Settings.xml window type to dialog but it still replaced the Home screen, as it would normally.
Yes. The settings window can be replaced by a custom window, though there may be a small amount of issues when returning from settings categories after changing skins (as your skin won't contain settings.xml then).

Just model it on any dialog, and name it customX_settings.xml or similar, where X is a number.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Actually, having played around with the idea a bit more, it's the Settings categories that I'd like to have as dialogs. When I look at the XML for that, however, it's very generic. It suggest quite a bit of hardcoded stuff that wouldn't carry over to a custom xml file.

Is that right?
Correct. The settings categories cannot be in the form of a dialog.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:Correct. The settings categories cannot be in the form of a dialog.

Is there a specific reason for this? I only ask as it'd be great if it could somehow be overcome.
Code-wise the dialog and window code is separate.

It would take a reasonable amount of effort in order to allow this possibility, and there are many issues to overcome (some windows will still not be allowed to be dialogs, such as the media windows).

With that said, there's usually ways where you can overcome this anyway. For instance, if you want to move down off your home page scroller and get to the settings page automagically, you can do it via <onfocus>. You then have the settings window so that it contains the stuff on the home page so that it forms a seamless transistion. Going back up off the first settings then returns you to the home page. You can do the same thing via <onclick> if you want it to appear like an overlay.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Actually, I'm thinking I can probably reproduce the effect using windows anyway. Ignore me for now.

EDIT: Heh - you got there before me.
Actually, in that case... is there a way of telling XBMC not to play a sound that it would normally play under a given circumstance? So if it plays a sound during transitions between windows, would it be possible to prevent that for one particular transition?
Not currently, as far as I know, but that's a much easier thing to change than turning windows into dialogs Wink

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde..._Functions

XBMC.Mute I don't know if that's 0 db
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
Good spot that man. I'll be sure to give it a try.
that has issues....
if your transitioning the window how do you reset the sound eg set it back to 100 percent.
what if it was 50.
and also it would mute your music etc while transitioning.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Turning Settings.xml into a dialog0