Linux HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation
@Nickelino

Hi,

my ZBox Nano CI320 with a 30GB Kingston SSD and 4GB of RAM is running smoothly while:
- playing 1080p content from a self ripped Blu-Ray to a mkv in untouched quality with DTS-HD MA in Kodi
- streaming 1080p/50Hz and 1080p/60Hz in Steam InHome-Streaming
- streaming 1080p content from youtube/AmazonPrime in Kodi
- surfing the Kodi menu while watching TV

the Cons aka not running smoothly:
- Steam in BigPictureMode

not tested (because of killed .kodi folder while installing RetroPie x86 - i'm reconfiguring atm):
- gaming in Emulationstation

What i've done to achieve this:

I've installed Kodibuntu 14.04, then i've done a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y
rebooted, just to be sure, then a apt-get dist-upgrade with a following reboot.
After this i activated Passthrough-Audio because of DTS-HD MA and the Dolby-thing and rebooted.
Then the funny part: do-release-upgrade with the following reactivation of the repos in 16.04.
I've added xorg-edgers repo for a updated intel driver and installed kernel 4.8.0 from standard xenial repo
Installed/updated Kodi to Krypton RC
installed the pvr-plugin and finally:
i followed this Guide here with a small addition
sudo apt-get install libva1:i386 libva-x11-1:i386 libva-glx1:i386 just to be sure.
(Maybe Installing RetroPie x86 would be better if it would be installed directly after the release-upgrade because it deleted my config the other way - or just leave away the experimental packages if all are selected)

hope this helps a little

cya

BTW:
i added
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash intel_idle.max_cstate=1"
to /etc/default/grub because my BayTrail system will freeze without it. (Only the standard 14.04 LTS Kernel worked without it)

and don't forget to do a
Code:
dpkg --add-architecture i386
before installing steam as it's a 32bit application and the 32bit deps need to be installed

Code:
sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences.d/pulseaudio.pref
will allow you to install pulseaudio, but see my previous post for deactivation of autospawning

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation - by gammelobst - 2017-01-27, 00:50
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation4