Linux HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation
@gammelobst:

Hi,

I will try to get my Zbox working perfectly as soon as I can. At first I will try it with my configuration. If it doesn't help, I will start at Kodibuntu 14.04 as you suggested.
You will be informed when I'm done.

Back to our problem:

I changed the configs a little bit:

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf ($USER is a placeholder)

Code:
[Seat:*]
autologin-user=$USER
autologin-session=openbox

~/.config/openbox/autostart
added the line emulationstation

Code:
hsetroot -solid black

emulationstation

Now a "normal" openbox session starts with emulationstaion in autostart.
I wasn't still able to start roms or other applications started by runcommand.sh.
The ports like Descent Rebirth or Eduke3d start without errors. (They aren't started with runcommand.sh)

That prooves your assumption that openbox has a conflict with the runcommand.sh.

Usually if runcommand.sh is being executed a terminal window appears with a message to press a button to get into the runcommand menu. This terminal windows doesn't appear in the openbox session.

I hope this informations will help you to find a solution. If i can help you with my tiny skills, let me know.

Greetings

Nicke

EDIT: Now I tried both opportunities to get the Zbox working better:

At first I followed all the steps of your How-To that I haven't already done with my current system.
After that I followed your complete suggestions startet by Installing Kodibuntu 14.04.

Both procedures didn't stop the frame lags.

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation - by Nickelino - 2017-01-28, 02:46
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation4