OpenDML AVI files works only in MPlayer if -noidx is handed
(tharvey @ may 03 2004,20:29 Wrote:i'm seeing the following seek problems with the latest cvs (all these files are <2gb)

mp4 file: dpad back/down do nothing, dpad up/forward jump to the same spots in the movie every time (don't advance)

mkv file: quite often, at various points of a movie, the dpad forward button goes back to the same position it last went to. (+10min, -10min work great... -1min seems to work, but +1min often will not advance at certain spots in the movie)

avi divx file: seeking works great!

avi opendml file (created via btv showsqueeze): dpad up/down/forward/back do nothing

hope this helps!

this app is looking great!

tim
i just want to add that for divx avi's over 2gb, seeking doesnt work. its funny because at 2.00gb the file seeks, but at 2.01gb it doesnt. i hope this can be fixed.
i'm having trouble playing a few opendml avi files on cvs build 06/24/2004. when trying to play the video's the screen stays at the file list but adds a progression bar at the top.

gspot info

video:
opendml avi "rec list" style
imrr: 1.00
i/l 389ms (9.3 v.frames) plit: no
4cc: wmv3
runtime: 00:23:12 (33,386 fr)
xy: 640x480 (1.33:1) [=4:3]
bitrate: 1130kb
fps: 23.976
qf: 0.153 bits/pixel

audio:
0x0055(mp3) id'd as mpeg-1 layer 3
bitrate: 114 kb/s (57/ch, stereo) vbr
fs: 48000 hz

if more info is needed please tell me and i shall post it.

thanx for the help.
(genous @ june 26 2004,00:54 Wrote:
(tharvey @ may 03 2004,20:29 Wrote:i'm seeing the following seek problems with the latest cvs (all these files are <2gb)

mp4 file:  dpad back/down do nothing, dpad up/forward jump to the same spots in the movie every time (don't advance)

mkv file: quite often, at various points of a movie, the dpad forward button goes back to the same position it last went to. (+10min, -10min work great... -1min seems to work, but +1min often will not advance at certain spots in the movie)

avi divx file: seeking works great!

avi opendml file (created via btv showsqueeze): dpad up/down/forward/back do nothing

hope this helps!

this app is looking great!

tim
i just want to add that for divx avi's over 2gb, seeking doesnt work.  its funny because at 2.00gb the file seeks, but at 2.01gb it doesnt.  i hope this can be fixed.
i disabled seeking for avis over 2gb because it's either no seeking or no playing. it's an mplayer issue unfortunately.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i've searched and searched, but i've yet to find a plausible solution to this problem, its happened over the course of two seperate xboxes and at least 10 builds of xbmc (note: all config files and savegames have been deleted between builds). here's the skinny:

1. component video, any config with postprocessing / no post, no subtitles, etc. have been tried. all the same problem. smb sharing or local to the xbox, still problems.

2. beyond tv has a plugin to create divx files, and they play flawlessly on xbmp and on the computer. transcode codec is divx pro 5.1.1. depending on build, one of two things happen:

1.0 will play these files perfectly, but if you try to fast forward them it will ff fine, but the audio 'continues' at 1.0 speed. therefore, it will unsync and never sync back up.

older point releases will more or less lock up the xbox, it will sit at a black screen for about 10 minutes then time out. internet configuration is correct in configs.

newest cvs quit playing this again, now we get 1.0 speed audio and skipping video (every xth frame will play, basically 1 hour of video will scroll by in less than a minute). this will happen both on smb shares and local xbox.

these problems are the same over two xboxs, each with totally different (not based on one another) config files, and each have been formatted within the last month and started from scratch -- the problem persists.

here's a mediainfo paste from one of the files beyond tv makes:
video #0
codec : divx 5
width : 480
height : 480
aspect ratio : 4/3
frame rate : 29.971
bitrate : 1626616

audio #0
codec : mpeg1/2 l3
bit rate : bps
channels : 2
sampling rate : 48 khz
bitrate : 128000

any help would be appreciated, i'd love to get these things playing 'right'

diamond187
Sad 
are they opendml avi's (check with gspot)?, then read this => http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....&t=3199
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
(gamester17 @ aug. 31 2004,10:13 Wrote:are they opendml avi's (check with gspot)?, then read this => http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....&t=3199
they are indeed opendml avi files, as gspot reports. i'm going to try a new version of mplayer later tonight and see if that will accomplish anything and report back. it seems that from the link that you sent that opendml files have had a habit of breaking on a lot of cvs builds, is that due to workarounds or mplayer changes?

thanks for the help,

diamond187
(diamond187 @ aug. 31 2004,16:07 Wrote:it seems that from the link that you sent that opendml files have had a habit of breaking on a lot of cvs builds, is that due to workarounds or mplayer changes?
don't know exacly (as i'm not a dev myself) but i suspect that this is a mplayer bug/issue and not just a xbmc-porting misstake.
please try the very same file/files in mplayer for windows on your pc, if same problem then report as a bug directly to mplayer.
(gamester17 @ aug. 31 2004,16:32 Wrote:
(diamond187 @ aug. 31 2004,16:07 Wrote:it seems that from the link that you sent that opendml files have had a habit of breaking on a lot of cvs builds, is that due to workarounds or mplayer changes?
don't know exacly (as i'm not a dev myself) but i suspect that this is a mplayer bug/issue and not just a xbmc-porting misstake.
please try the very same file/files in mplayer for windows on your pc, if same problem then report as a bug directly to mplayer.
the same thing is happening with the latest version of mplayer for windows as with xbmc, so i would feel safe to say that this is indeed an mplayer bug. however, it seems that snapstream / beyond tv opendml encoded divx files are on and off a problem quite a bit, is there any way to work around the bug and enable functionality by disabling the idx bug that seems to be there? both -forceidx and -idx will enable correct playback in mplayer for windows -- is there a way to force that in opendml files in xbmc?

diamond187
(diamond187 @ sep. 01 2004,05:38 Wrote:this is indeed an mplayer bug.  however, it seems that snapstream / beyond tv opendml encoded divx files are on and off
in addition to reporting this bug to mplayer i also suggest you report it to snapstream/btv-support as their own devs maybe can help Wink
you can add options for the mplayer core by creating a .conf file for the particular file, or if it applies to all files you can add options to mplayer.conf in the mplayer dir.

eg if you have a movie named filename.avi, you create a text file called filename.avi.conf and put whatever options you want in there.

see the mplayer docs for more info on the format of the .conf file.

once you've done it, perhaps you might like to contribute to the online xbmc manual by writing up a howto in the wiki? see the link in my sig.

(jmarshall @ sep. 01 2004,13:30 Wrote:you can add options for the mplayer core by creating a .conf file for the particular file, or if it applies to all files you can add options to mplayer.conf in the mplayer dir.

eg if you have a movie named filename.avi, you create a text file called filename.avi.conf and put whatever options you want in there.

see the mplayer docs for more info on the format of the .conf file.

once you've done it, perhaps you might like to contribute to the online xbmc manual by writing up a howto in the wiki? see the link in my sig.
the easiest way to get it to reindex files that need it is by adding the line

idx=yes

to your mplayer.conf file. i've posted a new page to the wiki about this, it works great here.

n-o-t-e: reindexing a large file takes time, and the xbox is a fairly slow pc. a 750mb snapstream divx took about 5 minutes from telling it to play and playing. this is not an acceptable long term solution, and you can regen indexes with mencoder once and it will keep them (versus every play on xbox). i'm simply posting this if you've got auto compression turned on in snapstream and dont want to have to go back to the pc to redo an index file. it will go slowly to open opendml files. you've been warned! Smile

thanks to everyone who has taken time out of their day to help me, i've also filed a bug report with mplayer so maybe they can change things, bug 71 on their forums.
a few questions that have puzzled me since xbmc first launched:

1) is it all video files over 2gb that dont play/seek, or just opendml avi's?

2) is it possible to make a 2gb+ video file with some other codec other than divx that doesnt have this "play/seek" problem?

background:
i currently have 86 opendml avi movies over 2gb, and that number increases every week. most of my movies tend to stay under 2gb, but there are those 86 so far that have reached 2gb and over. ever since the very first launch of xbmc i have had problems with these 2gb+ files (i know its a mplayer bug and not xbmc - im just looking for an alternate solution). for the longest time i just had problems with them not seeking, but with the last few builds they just dont play at all. you might be saying, "just dont make the files so big stupid Smile", but the fact is, i'm a quality nut. i have to have dvd quality video, dolby digital soundtrack, and the file size is no object to me. i would just use straight vob files if there was a way to combine them into one single file and not even worry about encoding.

im a home theater nut. i spent lots of $$$ on my theater, and i just don't want to be messing around with dvd disks. i had a 100 disk dvd jukebox, but got rid of that when i first modded my xbox and put xbmp on it (then xbmc came out and wow). with dvd's you have slow access times and you have to deal with dvd menus, fbi warnings and such. with xbmc you just click on the movie and watch.

if there is another way to encode videos with my high quality standard that both plays and seeks perfectly, even if they are over 2gb, please tell me. i dont care what kind of file it would be (avi, mpg, mov - it doesnt matter). i would gladly change my encoding technique to bypass this mplayer problem. my biggest fear is finding out in a few years that this is a problem that just cant be solved do to actual limitations of the xbox itself, and im stuck with hundrends of movies over 2gb that i just have to delete. thats alot of hard work and money spent on hdd space down the crapper. im trying to avoid this at all cost.

my encoding parameters:
codec = divx 5.0.2 pro
program = gordian knot
video bitrate = 3400kbps
audio = ac3
resolution = highest resolution before h-zoom or w-zoom
goes over 100% (around 704x384 depending
on aspect ratio)
@Genous, 1: problem is only with opendml. 2: yes, remuxing the file to "ogm" or "mkv (matroska)" would get away from this problem.
avi is just a container, and so is ogm and mkv, de/re-muxing won't change quality of the content, (so there's not need to re-encode).
but please respect that what you are asking is off-topic for this thread so if you need futher help please create a new support thread!
on one hand, it says the last response was in 2004, but this thread is also appearing on the first page.

i don't know if this is the same problem i'm having, but i appear to be having a similiar one.

i have several avi files of tv shows that i have downloaded. the played with no problems on earlier versions of xbmc, but i just downloaded the latest cvs build, and now the files will not open at all via mplayer, however they will play via dvdplayer.

when playing then, fast forward and rewind don't appear to do anything but cut out the sound.

i know the avi's use xvid compression, but beyond that i don't know too many details about them. i tested them, and they play just fine in windows media player on my pc.

i am accessing them on xbmc via a sbm share.
Sad 
(enderandrew @ sep. 17 2005,01:11 Wrote:i don't know if this is the same problem i'm having, but i appear to be having a similiar one.

i have several avi files of tv shows that i have downloaded.  the played with no problems on earlier versions of xbmc, but i just downloaded the latest cvs build, and now the files will not open at all via mplayer, however they will play via dvdplayer.

when playing then, fast forward and rewind don't appear to do anything but cut out the sound.
no your problem is not the same, so please post a new topic thread instead under the support forum instead, you problem is probebly corrupt files so do a search for "virtualdub" before you post and also make sure you read our faq properly about what information you need to provide if you want help. (by the way, you cannot fast-forward or rewind in them while playing with the dvdplayer beause fast-forward and rewind hasn't been implemented in the dvdplayer at all yet.

(enderandrew @ sep. 17 2005,01:11 Wrote:on one hand, it says the last response was in 2004, but this thread is also appearing on the first page.
that's only because it's a 'sticky' (= 'pinned-topic') ...and it will be pinned until mplayer solves the cause of the problem that this thread is really for :hmm:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenDML AVI files works only in MPlayer if -noidx is handed0