Increase RAM and buffering
I have PC, Win7, 4GB RAM.
Will adding more RAM (4GB? 8GB?) help with buffering issues?
Or be any help with watch iptv channels in Kodi?

Let's say not multi tasking any programs, only Kodi is running on PC.
Will adding more RAM help better performance with Kodi?
if the source of your iptv stream is slow then the answer is no.
(2016-07-26, 16:13)bry- Wrote: if the source of your iptv stream is slow then the answer is no.

Of course, IF source is slow then nothing can improve it.

My question was can simply adding more RAM help with Kodi play?
There are settings and adjustments can be made within Kodi. So will more RAM help?

IMain point of question is will more RAM help reduce buffering?
I already have 4GB RAM, so will more RAM make any difference with Kodi?
Assuming I have no programs running, only Kodi.

Since RAM is such a game changer (more the better) in general for PC performance, it feels like more RAM the better Kodi play.
BUT little that I know about Kodi is that Kodi really don;t rely that much on RAM. Maybe I am wrong?
this is the page that you want to view http://kodi.wiki/view/Caches_explained
More RAM is always a plus. I have a Chromebox with 2GB of RAM, and it works great with everything. However, mine is dedicated with OpenElec. My laptop with 4GB RAM is also OE and works without issues. Steaming or otherwise.

4 should be ideal, but if your PC is running ANYTHING else (Windows pulls some on it's own), then ...still 4. You WILL want to check your performance settings within Kodi, however. There are a bunch of factors the make your videos run better, and you can enable and disable them from within Kodi.

Best suggestions, try it out.
Usually stream lag to me is based on the source or what level of bandwidth is being used in my house by all my devices at once. Though you may have a large bandwidth, if you're downloading while watching a movie (even on a different device), you'll likely experience potential stream buffer.
(2016-07-26, 17:40)bry- Wrote: this is the page that you want to view http://kodi.wiki/view/Caches_explained

I already read that and more about Kodi cache before I posted my question.

I think key point is "Kodi only uses a tiny amount of RAM for the video cache, about 60 MB", Also more than 500MB is waste as well?
So from what i understand about Kodi, after certain amount of RAM, additional RAM will not help Kodi play, certainly no help with buffering.

I also read about advanced settings, and played with them, but no real effect.
Many different and confusing recommended settings. Some are direct conflict so somebody is lying. Confusing for newbies like me,

I think in conclusion, as I suspected, adding RAM is waste of money.

Additionally after reading, researching many articles, forum posts, etc, about Kodi and buffering, it's all about source server, internet speed/quality, few minor settings in Kodi, and that's about it.

Sometimes I wonder why some people write articles and post on forums about Kodi, buffering, settings, etc, claiming miracles, yet whole time they know they are lying because their claims do NOT work.
I have windows 7 HTPC with 4GB of RAM. no issues at all. just make sure you clear the cache.
(2016-07-26, 20:14)menell Wrote: I have windows 7 HTPC with 4GB of RAM. no issues at all. just make sure you clear the cache.

Would you mind explaining how to clear cache that you are talking about?
thx
Why not use the HDD for the video cache? Set cache size to 0. This is only recommended for mechanical HDDs, though. It's not good for the typical SSD.
(2016-07-27, 10:48)Ned Scott Wrote: Why not use the HDD for the video cache? Set cache size to 0. This is only recommended for mechanical HDDs, though. It's not good for the typical SSD.

Based on what I read, setting to zero cache and using HDD is NOT recommended.

Also recommended setting cache RAM based on how much free RAM is shown on PC.
Which leads me to believe that more RAM I have on PC, more RAM cache I can set.
Then other place says setting RAM over 500MB is useless.

These conflicting recommendations really confuses newbies like me.
So i come to official Kodi forum and still not get any clear answers.
What can I say? Just move on I guess.
If you turn on debug logging in the setup you'll see how much RAM you're actually using. My guess is that RAM isn't your issue though.
(2016-07-27, 16:43)Joejim Wrote:
(2016-07-27, 10:48)Ned Scott Wrote: Why not use the HDD for the video cache? Set cache size to 0. This is only recommended for mechanical HDDs, though. It's not good for the typical SSD.

Based on what I read, setting to zero cache and using HDD is NOT recommended.

Also recommended setting cache RAM based on how much free RAM is shown on PC.
Which leads me to believe that more RAM I have on PC, more RAM cache I can set.
Then other place says setting RAM over 500MB is useless.

These conflicting recommendations really confuses newbies like me.
So i come to official Kodi forum and still not get any clear answers.
What can I say? Just move on I guess.

It's discouraged for SSDs, but it's fine on a normal mechanical HDD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Increase RAM and buffering0