v16 Artists Artwork Questions
Hi Bart,

Thanks for your reply and some insights into how you manage your library.

(2016-08-03, 15:28)bsoriano Wrote: First of all, all of my tracks have an AlbumArtist tag set, since my music is organized as AbumArtist\Album\Tracks.

Same here: every track has an AlbumArtist tag. My music is organised in a similar way, with perhaps a small exception:
/Music/<Artist>/<Album>/<Tracks>
/Music/Various Artists/<Album>/<Tracks>

(2016-08-03, 15:28)bsoriano Wrote: 1. Whenever I have tracks that have multiple artists in them (artist 1 feat. artist2), when I tag my files I place "artist1 / artist2" on the Artist tag for the file. I have " / " as the artist separator in the advancedsettings.xml in Kodi. I always select artist1 as the Album Artist.

In my example of QUESTION1, I have "artist1 feat. artist2" in the Artist tag (similar to yourself). However, I also have "artist1 feat. artist2" in the Album Artist tag. So, that is perhaps something I can change to see if it makes a difference. For that particular album, every song is by "artist1 feat. artist2". I guess as a result the Album Artist tag also reflects that.

(2016-08-03, 15:28)bsoriano Wrote: 2. For compilation albums I use "(Multiple Artists)" as the Album Artist, (each track is tagged with whatever artist(s) appear on it) and that way there is always one album artist associated with muti-artist albums, and also that allows me to place all compilation albums under one folder without breaking my music files structure.

My compilation albums are tagged with "Various Artists" as the Album Artist. Each track also has the Artist tagged with the name of the artist(s) that perform on the track. Again, very similar to your situation.

(2016-08-03, 15:28)bsoriano Wrote: I am not using NFO files.
Hope you find this useful.

I am also starting to doubt the usefulness of the NFO files in their current form. I was hoping that the NFO files could assist me getting the RPi3 up to date (as it is not connected to the internet). Perhaps if all source artist data was directly stored in the MySQL database - or - if you could create and nominate a directory to store all artwork and associated data, that could be an improvement.

For example, if you could create a directory structure like:
/Music_Artwork/Artists/<Artist Name>
/Music_Artwork/Albums/<Album Name>
/Music_Artwork/Songs/<Song Name>

OR even:

/Music_Artwork/<Artist>/<Album>/<Tracks>

We could then store metadata for artists, albums and songs in this directory structure. Metadata for songs would include lyrics. Using such a directory structure, we can then also ensure that metadata (biography, thumbs, fanart, etc) for artists that are - say - featured, is also stored in a fashion that is easily re-scrapable, without having to go back to the internet. Given the amount of internet traffic generated by Kodi to sites such as fanart.tv, musicbrainz.org, etc, this may be a very welcome feature not only for Kodi users.

My thoughts are drifting...

Your reply was very useful. Thank you.

Marc.

Messages In This Thread
Artists Artwork Questions - by 1marc1 - 2016-08-03, 02:14
RE: Artists Artwork Questions - by bsoriano - 2016-08-03, 15:28
RE: Artists Artwork Questions - by 1marc1 - 2016-08-03, 17:13
RE: Artists Artwork Questions - by DaveBlake - 2016-08-03, 17:36
RE: Artists Artwork Questions - by meowmoo - 2016-08-05, 01:23
RE: Artists Artwork Questions - by AnalogKid - 2016-08-06, 13:24
RE: Artists Artwork Questions - by 1marc1 - 2016-08-07, 02:52
RE: Artists Artwork Questions - by AnalogKid - 2016-08-06, 13:15