• 4(current)
New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion
as for python addons... what strikes me as odd, when reading through this thread, is the fact terms like 'trusted, 'responsible', 'reliable' pop up,
while that fact an addon is not accepted in the kodi repo is a clear indication of the exact opposite.

those addons shouldn't really be trusted, encouraged or even promoted through some semi-unofficial addon repo.

it's not just about keymap modifications. several addons listed in this thread also modify users settings and/or modify other addons.
let alone some of the devs of these addons tried to add paid and/or piracy functionality in the past.

so i wonder what this 'trust' is actually based on?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
That is not the case with most addons, I am sure. Just because there are few doesn't mean all are like that. I made 3 addons and none modify settings or have anything to do with piracy. I just don't want to use JSON and read XML directly etc. But the main reason is that I won't bother with official repo...

I think that any such addon that you refer to will be easily found and someone will write a comment in the thread in the forum that it changes the settings or does something bad.
(2016-08-30, 23:06)DaLanik Wrote: That is not the case with most addons, I am sure. Just because there are few doesn't mean all are like that. I made 3 addons and none modify settings or have anything to do with piracy. I just don't want to use JSON and read XML directly etc. But the main reason is that I won't bother with official repo...

I think that any such addon that you refer to will be easily found and someone will write a comment in the thread in the forum that it changes the settings or does something bad.
You mean Addons screwing up keymaps and so on?
Well here's an example
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2404099

Besides why won't you bother with official repo if your Addons but would bother with almost something similar but totally not supported. Sorry I cannot follow that logic.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
OK, can we avoid the same bitching again please, this debate has already been had in this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=287562

It was decided that a repo would be created that was not controlled by the official Kodi team - this thread is to discuss how that will look - not IF it should exist.

I've tried to steer clear of all the complaining, so would like to just focus on how the new repo is going to look so I can made an informed decision as to if I'd like to submit my addons to it.

It would be nice to have a thread on this subject that focused on it's original purpose!

Thanks
Rob
(2016-08-30, 23:06)DaLanik Wrote: That is not the case with most addons, I am sure. Just because there are few doesn't mean all are like that. I made 3 addons and none modify settings or have anything to do with piracy. I just don't want to use JSON and read XML directly etc. But the main reason is that I won't bother with official repo...

if our submission process is too complicated (which i agree) that's another discussion.

but this thread is about addons that are not accepted in the official repo:
Quote:The basic idea (so far) is to only include just a few things that don't normally fit in the official repo
see: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2401532
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2016-08-30, 23:09)Martijn Wrote: You mean Addons screwing up keymaps and so on?
Well here's an example
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2404099

Just spotted what you linked to ... has nothing to do with keymaps - apparently you need to educate yourself before commenting!

Rob
For me the rules are a sideshow really, people can go round in circles discussing them and always have Wink

My motivation for this is all about ease of submission and using the community to keep it in shape.
(2016-08-30, 23:29)zag Wrote: For me the rules are a sideshow really, people can go round in circles discussing them and always have Wink

My motivation for this is all about ease of submission and using the community to keep it in shape.
Then start with the official repo please.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-08-30, 23:20)robwebset Wrote: Just spotted what you linked to ... has nothing to do with keymaps - apparently you need to educate yourself before commenting!

sure, sure...

Code:
13:09:03  12.168473 T:1964015616    INFO: Loading special://masterprofile/keymaps/sonos_volume_keymap.xml
13:09:10  18.409918 T:1964015616   DEBUG: OnKey: volume_up (0xf0b9) pressed, action is SetProperty(SonosVolumeRedirect, Up, 10000)
13:09:10  19.003950 T:1805644704   DEBUG: script.sonos: SonosVolumeRedirect: Changing by 2
13:09:10  19.005545 T:1805644704   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error
(2016-08-30, 23:34)ronie Wrote:
(2016-08-30, 23:20)robwebset Wrote: Just spotted what you linked to ... has nothing to do with keymaps - apparently you need to educate yourself before commenting!

sure, sure...

Code:
13:09:03  12.168473 T:1964015616    INFO: Loading special://masterprofile/keymaps/sonos_volume_keymap.xml
13:09:10  18.409918 T:1964015616   DEBUG: OnKey: volume_up (0xf0b9) pressed, action is SetProperty(SonosVolumeRedirect, Up, 10000)
13:09:10  19.003950 T:1805644704   DEBUG: script.sonos: SonosVolumeRedirect: Changing by 2
13:09:10  19.005545 T:1805644704   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error

Yes, sure! Again another person who doesn't look at things correctly! (you 2 are doing a great job of highlighting the attributes of Kodi developers!) The fact that these 2 things appear next to each other in the log is nothing does not mean that one causes the other. Just looking at the log you can see that the 2 log lines are on different threads!!!

With me saying that one of you should educate yourself before commenting, it's amazing that some-one else comes in and does the same thing! In this case the problem is very strange, on this persons machine the python service seems to be miss-interpreting the class hierarchy and thinking the object type is the base class, so can not find the method it is looking for.

Rob
I have zero interest in convincing Martijn and ronie of anything. I really don't want to have to take discussion off site, but this is getting absurd. Agree to disagree and move on, please.
I am really sick of this bitching. Are we about to have another split in kodi development? I know Ned is no longer on the team and robwebset never has been, but both are extremely useful community members IMHO.

If robwebset's addons are not following the rules, then please post constructively about how he might fix it. I still haven't seen an explanation as to how one affects keymaps in an acceptable way. All I see is "you can't do that" never "you shouldn't do that, but you could do it this way".

And Martijn please don't let your antipathy to Ned affect every post you make.

Also robwebset you may do a lot better if you too take note of the rules, I know you think the ground keeps shifting under your feet, but I think it better if devs of useful stuff like yours might have some more positive interactions.

Also, while it might be nice if we all had time to chat, the poster you replied to here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2404141 was reporting a bug, not making a complaint. Try being civil yourself.

There, a telling off for the lot of you. I wouldn't normally speak like this to team members or respected community members, but I think my role as Moderator and long time community member gives me some entitlement to speak out on this. Just pull your heads in, co-operate, kiss and make up.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks nickr Smile Back on topic....

Does anyone know some addons that use the <asset> and <news> xml tags, at the moment I have only found Aeon:

https://github.com/BigNoid/Aeon-Nox/blob.../addon.xml

I'd like to provide a feature that recomends people use the latest tags if it finds older ones.
I've added it to Confluence but it's not in the repo yet.

https://github.com/xbmc/skin.confluence/.../addon.xml
Thanks I was hoping some smaller add-ons had done it, but I guess I can update my hello world example myself.

Unpacking full skins each time during debugging can be time consuming Wink
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion6