• 6(current)
Philips 6501 - Passthrough problems
did you switch to expert view?
Yes - or should I turn on DSP?
(2017-02-09, 10:20)Croog Wrote: Yes - or should I turn on DSP?

No...use search, correct settings have been posted multiple times.

Quote:- Sync playback to display on
- Number of channels 2.0
- Output configuration: Best Match or Optimized
- Allow Passtrough
- Dolby Digital AC3 capable receiver
- Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) Transcoding
- Dolby Digital Plus E-AC3 Capable Receiver
Ahh sorry, I didn't believe that I also must set channels to 2.0, as I use ARC which can send more channels to AVR, so didn't try this. Thanks.

BTW, I had to leave "sync play to display" turned off, otherwise I had really unsynchronized video and audio (by couple of seconds; tryied some video with DTS-MA). With this setting off, so far i don't observe any shifts between audio and video.

Now I am thinking how much the audio is crippled by that conversion and whether it isn't better to rather stay on stereo, but with clearer sound. Do you hear the difference when you use AC3 transcoding, i.e. from DTS-MA?
(2017-02-10, 10:28)Croog Wrote: Now I am thinking how much the audio is crippled by that conversion and whether it isn't better to rather stay on stereo, but with clearer sound. Do you hear the difference when you use AC3 transcoding, i.e. from DTS-MA?

Depends on your personal preference and for movies, I can assure you that you would need rather high end audio system to hear the actual difference.
I prefer 5.1 over Stereo for movies, if you prefer stereo just disable Passtrough and enjoy higher quality Stereo PCM.
(2017-02-10, 10:28)Croog Wrote: Ahh sorry, I didn't believe that I also must set channels to 2.0, as I use ARC which can send more channels to AVR, so didn't try this. Thanks.

BTW, I had to leave "sync play to display" turned off, otherwise I had really unsynchronized video and audio (by couple of seconds; tryied some video with DTS-MA). With this setting off, so far i don't observe any shifts between audio and video.

Now I am thinking how much the audio is crippled by that conversion and whether it isn't better to rather stay on stereo, but with clearer sound. Do you hear the difference when you use AC3 transcoding, i.e. from DTS-MA?

yes, sync playback to display does that on sony also. Not always but still......
Anyway, you dont need that for transcoding DTS but this seting force transcoding in all cases so I believe that for playing 640kbps AC3 you need that to be on.
Stereo or transcoding? Well, it is up to you, your equipment and your ears. To me it is better to have DTS transcoded to AC3 and still have proper 5.1 signal than let my denon upmix stereo to surround. Denons DSU does a pretty decent job but not that good as transcoding.
I can her the difference between DTS>AC3 or DTS>stereo but when I compare DTS>stereo with some 2ch AAC or something then there isn't much difference. I don't think that I loose much with transcoding, stereo simply sounds different.
(2017-02-09, 11:00)Etzi Wrote:
(2017-02-09, 10:20)Croog Wrote: Yes - or should I turn on DSP?

No...use search, correct settings have been posted multiple times.

Quote:- Sync playback to display on
- Number of channels 2.0
- Output configuration: Best Match or Optimized
- Allow Passtrough
- Dolby Digital AC3 capable receiver
- Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) Transcoding
- Dolby Digital Plus E-AC3 Capable Receiver

hey guy, sorry for hijacking the thread. i have a new pus7101 and trying to get the dts - ac3 transcoding going. my problem is that everytime i turn "sync playback to display" on, i do get choppy video playback. is there anythin i am missing here?
(2017-03-26, 18:41)rudesounds Wrote: hey guy, sorry for hijacking the thread. i have a new pus7101 and trying to get the dts - ac3 transcoding going. my problem is that everytime i turn "sync playback to display" on, i do get choppy video playback. is there anythin i am missing here?

Does not matter, same QM163E platform (MediaTek MT5890 SoC) is used on all 65X1, 7X01, 7181 models.
Yes, Philips screwed up their firmware again, there is a newer beta FirmWare floating around, which should fix this: https://app.box.com/v/QM163E000006188012 (Not available publicly, use it at your own risk!)

You dont need "Sync to Display" for DTS to AC3 transcoding, so leave it off.
You will only need it when you want to transcode AC3 to lower bitrate AC3.
(2017-03-27, 11:14)Etzi Wrote:
(2017-03-26, 18:41)rudesounds Wrote: hey guy, sorry for hijacking the thread. i have a new pus7101 and trying to get the dts - ac3 transcoding going. my problem is that everytime i turn "sync playback to display" on, i do get choppy video playback. is there anythin i am missing here?

Does not matter, same QM163E platform (MediaTek MT5890 SoC) is used on all 65X1, 7X01, 7181 models.
Yes, Philips screwed up their firmware again, there is a newer beta FirmWare floating around, which should fix this: https://app.box.com/v/QM163E000006188012 (Not available publicly, use it at your own risk!)

You dont need "Sync to Display" for DTS to AC3 transcoding, so leave it off.
You will only need it when you want to transcode AC3 to lower bitrate AC3.

Thanks! Is there a thread somwhere regarding that beta fw with changelog etc? is it fixing the choppy video output issue, when sync playback to display is enabled or is it even fixing the passthrough issue?
(2017-03-29, 08:42)rudesounds Wrote: Thanks! Is there a thread somwhere regarding that beta fw with changelog etc? is it fixing the choppy video output issue, when sync playback to display is enabled or is it even fixing the passthrough issue?

There is a thread in Philips Support forum, link is taken from there.
Changelog is pretty short and as always, it does not contain anything Kodi specific.

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/s...-and-7181)

Passtrough seems to be still broken though:

Quote:I still don't have DD/DTS working on 3rd party apps. Tried few, SPMC/KODI/BSPlayer,VLC,Archos but no luck. OK, it is working with the built in video player but it is so dumb. No chance to configure subtitle or seek?! I can understand those 3rd party apps not developed by you but still appearing in the official play store, so would be nice to make them work. Connected to my Logitech z5500 via SPDIF/Optical.

PS: This firmware is now officially released.
Well, tested this new 0.6.188.12 firmware, AC3 bitrate limitation is still present.
Occasional stuttering when you enable "Sync playback to display" seems to be gone though.
(2017-03-29, 22:21)Etzi Wrote: Well, tested this new 0.6.188.12 firmware, AC3 bitrate limitation is still present.
Occasional stuttering when you enable "Sync playback to display" seems to be gone though.

New firmware fucked everything up beyond repair.
Just updated my 65pus7601 to 0.6.188; bitrate limitation is still there, and ALL videos in KODI stutter like a motherlover Sad
Especialy during the transcoding, and even when using the TV's native GUI (i.e. changing/muting the TV's volume).

Still no DTS passthrough.

I will be downgrading that pos through ADB, because it has basically rendered my TV unusable.
Interesting, as I have 0 stuttering with this new version, older one stuttered as hell when "Sync playback to display" was enabled.
I would not expect DTS passtrough, it is ARC limitation not firmware one, I do expect AC3 bitrate limit to be fixed as it is just an artificial limitation.
Just tried downgrading through recovery; no go. gotta update back.

Maybe reinstalling/wiping cache will help.
Had to go back to 6.0, since downgrading gave me errors and reboots.

Anyways, there is LOTS of microstuttering, with both sync to display on and off; tried everything there is - try watching any movie for longer than couple of minutes.

Not only that, 4UHD HDR videos taht used to play don't play at all (no seeking, CONSTANT STUTTERING as if the CPU was struggling).

I am now stuck with a SHIT of an android OS and quite furious, as things were not SWELL before, but they worked well enough.
Only way to watch movies good now is with the official media player.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Philips 6501 - Passthrough problems1