• 2(current)
Mutagen
(2016-09-22, 08:04)Martijn Wrote: There is 1 option and that is updating the module.

Please can you explain, your usual 1 lines are not helpful.

I believe I have made a valid point - or are you saying that the Kodi team are now in "face-saving" mode and won't listen to reason as they've acted very drastically by trashing lots of threads rather than a mature discussion.

By all the statements that you and Ronie have made in the past (Ronies only 2 days ago) this addon should not be in the official repo - and logic follows that it should be removed.

Rob
I don't think this is a battle you can win, rob. Just change the add-on ID in your repo and they'll have no reason to keep all your threads trashed, and I can restore your wiki page.

I mean, if you were to change the add-on ID and they didn't allow those threads to be restored, it would look really bad for them. It would look like this was all done out of spite instead of concern for the users.
Hi Ned,

I have to say, I'd like rules to be applied equally. So in this case the rules set out should require that the mutagen module is removed from the official repo, as nothing else in the official repo uses it.

I understand that it isn't removed until some-one points this out (people can not just know this information without people helping them out). But I've done some checking and it's not used, so the rules should be applied and it removed from the Official Repo - thus solving all this trouble.

What is more annoying than anything is that it's the normal silent treatment. Instead of ... OK, you've highlighted something, lets get it sorted - or I'll explain why your solution doesn't work .... it just goes silent and you get ignored again.

Lets apply these rules equally and consistently accross everything!

Ronie, Martijn, please please can you comment why mutagen in the official repo should be an exception to the rules you've applied to everything else?

Thanks
Rob
(2016-09-22, 09:58)robwebset Wrote: should require that the mutagen module is removed from the official repo, as nothing else in the official repo uses it.
Why have you updated it if it's worthless and shouldn't be in the repo?
(2016-09-22, 14:31)bilgepump Wrote:
(2016-09-22, 09:58)robwebset Wrote: should require that the mutagen module is removed from the official repo, as nothing else in the official repo uses it.
Why have you updated it if it's worthless and shouldn't be in the repo?

Rule is: If there are no Addons in the official repo that use a module, then a module should not be there. (Has been applied multiple times, and is currently being applied here with a new module:

https://github.com/xbmc/repo-scripts/pul...-248167634
I didn't ask for a rule to be quoted, I asked you why you are bothering with it when it is worthless? If no addons use it, how did it get put in the repo in the first place?
(2016-09-22, 14:39)bilgepump Wrote: I didn't ask for a rule to be quoted, I asked you why you are bothering with it when it is worthless? If no addons use it, how did it get put in the repo in the first place?
Presumably because they used to in the past?
Isn't that kind of obvious?
(2016-09-22, 14:42)trogggy Wrote: Presumably because they used to in the past?
In previous versions you mean? Ones that people might still be using?
(2016-09-22, 14:52)bilgepump Wrote:
(2016-09-22, 14:42)trogggy Wrote: Presumably because they used to in the past?
In previous versions you mean? Ones that people might still be using?
I don't know what point you're trying to make here.
If someone is hypothetically still running an old add-on (that's no longer in the repo) that depends on this then they already have it, and they can't re-install the addon that depends on it from the official repo because it's no longer there. That goes for any other (hypothetical or otherwise) modules that may have been removed.
There isn't anything you can install from the repo today that needs / wants / asks for it.
Your hypothetical 'need' makes no sense, whatever the rights and wrongs of this dispute are.
(2016-09-22, 09:58)robwebset Wrote: Hi Ned,

I have to say, I'd like rules to be applied equally. So in this case the rules set out should require that the mutagen module is removed from the official repo, as nothing else in the official repo uses it.

I understand that it isn't removed until some-one points this out (people can not just know this information without people helping them out). But I've done some checking and it's not used, so the rules should be applied and it removed from the Official Repo - thus solving all this trouble.

What is more annoying than anything is that it's the normal silent treatment. Instead of ... OK, you've highlighted something, lets get it sorted - or I'll explain why your solution doesn't work .... it just goes silent and you get ignored again.

Lets apply these rules equally and consistently accross everything!

Ronie, Martijn, please please can you comment why mutagen in the official repo should be an exception to the rules you've applied to everything else?

Thanks
Rob

I also checked gotham - krypton and nothing else is using it. Should be okay to delete.
Normally we would set stuff broken first, but I think that doesn't apply here.
ronie Wrote:From: https://github.com/xbmc/repo-scripts/pul...-248954552

there are a couple of addons in our repo that include the mutagen module in the addon itself.
those addons don't depend on the script module, but on older versions of kodi, the script module will be used (if it's installed) instead of the internal one.

so no, there's no addon depending on it, removing it from the repo won't break those addons,
but if a newer version gets installed through another repo (which this pr is all about) breakage can occur.

Hi Ronie,

Thanks for replying, I thought it best to move it to the forum rather than discuss it on a closed pull request, hope that's OK.

I think this can be broken into 2 section if I understand correctly.

The first is that nothing is using the mutagen module in the official addon repo (Now confirmed by 3 different people) - therefore, as previously discussed - it can (and should) be safely removed. Am I correct in thinking there is no way in Kodi to install just a module - it can only be pulled in as a dependency. In which case it is not possible for people to install it stand-alone - please can we re-open:

https://github.com/xbmc/repo-scripts/pull/268

And get the module removed?

The second issue sounds a little more concerning, it's not a behaviour I have seen before - and I have serious concerns, as what you appear to be saying is that if I have one addon that references another file/library and another addon has the same file/library name - then it will read it from another addon in preference to the one in my own addon? That sounds very strange - and as all my addons have the same lib/settings.py (with class Settings) I would have thought that I would have seen this. (but never have)

And if that is the case, it really wouldn't matter what I named the model in my repo - if it is pulled in regardless and used in preference - the behaviour is the same?

However, you say "but on older versions of kodi" how old do you mean, before Gotham?, Frodo? And is this behaviour fixed in a particular release? Please can you clarify this?

Thanks
Rob
Hey Rob, quick question, how many hundreds of hours have you spent on kodi addons?
(2016-09-23, 13:50)Karnagious Wrote: Hey Rob, quick question, how many hundreds of hours have you spent on kodi addons?

Far far too many to count!! (It certainly beats watching rubbish like X-Factor with my wife and daughter!)

The funny thing is, some I only really wrote for other people because I fancied the challenge - I only use the following myself:

TvTunes
VideoExtras <-- The initial requirement that got me to investigate addons
Suitability
Recap

Rob
(2016-09-23, 13:50)Karnagious Wrote: Hey Rob, quick question, how many hundreds of hours have you spent on kodi addons?

I believe everyone involved with Kodi's improvement in some capacity beyond a "user level" has committed time trying to improve upon it Smile

I'm wondering what the issue is with mutagen? It's a module, I've submitted a few, and have more to submit in the future... Not sure personal repos apply here?

Even though I 100% agree a "Common" repo is needed and that the "Official" repo is hard to submit to... rules are undefined and submission rules seem to vary wildly between authors.

Two fundamentals seem clear no matter who authored the plugin/script/module, If it CAN be in the "Official" repo it should be, and all modules (I assume there are no banned ones) should be there as well... It benefits no one to hord a module/update.

My two cents...
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Hi Ronie,

Please can you spare a few minutes to provide more details on this.

Thanks
Rob

(2016-09-22, 22:28)robwebset Wrote:
ronie Wrote:From: https://github.com/xbmc/repo-scripts/pul...-248954552

there are a couple of addons in our repo that include the mutagen module in the addon itself.
those addons don't depend on the script module, but on older versions of kodi, the script module will be used (if it's installed) instead of the internal one.

so no, there's no addon depending on it, removing it from the repo won't break those addons,
but if a newer version gets installed through another repo (which this pr is all about) breakage can occur.

Hi Ronie,

Thanks for replying, I thought it best to move it to the forum rather than discuss it on a closed pull request, hope that's OK.

I think this can be broken into 2 section if I understand correctly.

The first is that nothing is using the mutagen module in the official addon repo (Now confirmed by 3 different people) - therefore, as previously discussed - it can (and should) be safely removed. Am I correct in thinking there is no way in Kodi to install just a module - it can only be pulled in as a dependency. In which case it is not possible for people to install it stand-alone - please can we re-open:

https://github.com/xbmc/repo-scripts/pull/268

And get the module removed?

The second issue sounds a little more concerning, it's not a behaviour I have seen before - and I have serious concerns, as what you appear to be saying is that if I have one addon that references another file/library and another addon has the same file/library name - then it will read it from another addon in preference to the one in my own addon? That sounds very strange - and as all my addons have the same lib/settings.py (with class Settings) I would have thought that I would have seen this. (but never have)

And if that is the case, it really wouldn't matter what I named the model in my repo - if it is pulled in regardless and used in preference - the behaviour is the same?

However, you say "but on older versions of kodi" how old do you mean, before Gotham?, Frodo? And is this behaviour fixed in a particular release? Please can you clarify this?

Thanks
Rob
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mutagen5