v17 Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update
Please be patient. Our Windows expert on this topic is on vacation. In the meantime you could try different render methods and sw decoding. Post your observations.
Update: decoding set to auto is not stuttering as long as DXVA2 is disabled, so we already know what is the culprit here.
What graphic Card do you use? I've installed the anniversery Update and Kodi 16.1 Jarvis works as before.
My Equipment:
HTPC (i7-8700K 3.7 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) Windows 10 with Kodi 18.6 & Central SQL DB (Maria DB)
AVR Emotiva RMC-1 & AMP Emotiva XPA9-Gen3, TV LG OLED 65 E6, BD oppo UDP-203, Speaker Revel Performa3 F208 / F206 / C208 / Nubert WS-14 for Atmos/DTS.x)
NAS Synology DS1817+ / DX-517/DX513 (4x8 TB RAID5 + 2 x 5x6TB in RAID5)
ATI Radeon R7 240
Kodi 17 latest Nightly.
I have a weird feeling that the AMD Drivers plus Anniversary Update is causing that hickups.

Even more weirdness. After a restart DXVA2 is working fine for about 10 seconds then the stutter fest begins and it's getting worse the longer I keep playing the videos.
Buffer overflow in the driver's code?
I have the same problem. AMD R290. Latest driver.

The issue started with win10 update, the issue is most visible for live tv. Its pretty much unwatchable.
Just upgraded from 16.1 to 17beta2 and having the same problem. Also having other issues (black screen on exit)

3 buffers
Adjust refresh on start/stop
Sync playback off
Render auto
Hardware acceleration DXVA2 on

i7 920
12gb ram
Win 10 latest update
660Ti lastest drivers
I can resolve the issue by turning adjust refresh rate to off or by leaving on and turning hardware acceleration off.
Are you guys trying to play x265/hevc encoded movies? If so, then I would say your video card doesn't support it like mine (Nvidia GTX 650).
Also having these issues on 17 (slight stutter and black screen on exit) since the big ms update, had it across 2 systems both with win 10 anniversary update but only in full screen mode, if i use full screen windowed its fine.

had it happen on a gtx 980 and a gtx 1080 across z77 and z97 across multiple drivers.

16.1 full screen works as it should.
You tried dropping back to double buffered? I get buffering on live streams with triple that i dont get using double. Worth a try.
Syncing display to video option seems to resolve the issue for me. I will see if I can re enable hardware decoding.
(2016-09-26, 00:23)Madmuhfuh Wrote: You tried dropping back to double buffered? I get buffering on live streams with triple that i dont get using double. Worth a try.

made no difference for me. the only way to resolve was 1. turn off hardware acceleration or 2. turn off change refresh rate on start/stop or 3. run Kodi in fullscreen window mode.

i'm also getting a complete freeze after aprox 30-40 minutes of watching a movie (H264 mkv 1 to 1 blu ray rips). going into task manager and clicking "Kodi" returns functionality.

the freeze happened on my 2nd PC (haven't watched a movie on the other since update)
i5 4670k
16gb ram
980Ti (latest Nvidia drivers)
Win 10 Pro (latest update)
clean Kodi 17beta2 install
Try with latest nightly
Moanbag is in da place!
Was something fix in the nightly?

Im currently on the stable release. (Not the beta)
I'm having a similar issue. Interestingly not on Windows 10 but on Ubuntu 14.04 with AMD fglrx 15.302. I didn't update for quite some time and did it last week (Kodi 17 nightly). Since then, some videos are stuttering in the described manner. It happens for different Codecs/Containers and different frame rates. I can't seem to find any similarity between the affected files.

One observation I have made is that the stuttering disappears, if some OSD is visible. E.g. if I show the video information or progress bar. It goes back to stuttering as soon as the OSD disappears. Maybe those affected could confirm that behavior.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update1