• 43(current)
Android Passthrough Changes with v17
you need to sideload shitty version with PCM hack to get DTS. But that is on you since it does not work reliably and can do some unpleasant things.
With the Marshmallow update on my Sony TV I'm using the notsoshitty version (for Tvheadend fix) without any errors. Just unchecked DTS passthrough of course, since Sony missed that part of Marshmallow.

As long as I'm using ARC or SPDIF I need to set 2-channel audio except for the passthrough, right?

Sent from my Nokia 3110i
Right.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-02-25, 18:22)aqab0N Wrote:
(2017-02-24, 18:21)Supernovasx Wrote:
(2017-02-24, 18:01)CiNcH Wrote: How do you get DTS out of it?

Speaker Output to 5.1
Disable Sync to Playback
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver
Enable DTS Capable receiver

And that should do the trick...

Does not work for me. I am also on the new sony android version.
With the above settings and passthrough activated the playback does not work at all - the screen stays black.

Did sony fuck up? Or should I stay away from Kodi 17?

I am currently on the latest "shitty" version, and this does work for me...
There is just too much noise on this topic...

Summary:

Official Kodi 17 Krypton uses the standard Android API to do Passthrough. On Sony Android TV, only Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3) works with this approach however. No DTS audio due to broken MediaTek driver!

"shitty" build by @fritch PROBABLY does both, Dolby and DTS, as it uses the PCM Hack (see below for an explanation). The "shitty" build can be sideloaded in Sony Android TV. Google it to find out how to do that.

PCM Hack:
Google discouraged the use of the PCM/uncompressed audio pipeline for Passthrough (known as “PCM Hack” which has been used in Kodi 16 Jarvis and is also used by the "shitty" builds) as audio data might get altered along that path, effectively garbling the compressed audio bitstream, potentially harming audio hardware and even your ears.
Thanks for the summary.

BTW, In case anyone else has experienced the garbled noise issue with the shitty build, one thing that consistently works for me is to play a 5.1 DD stream on my Sony TV's Netflix app, then passthrough works properly again.

Dunno if that's something fixable, but I guess I'll just have to live with it until Sony pushes out a fix for the official Kodi release.
Quote:BTW, In case anyone else has experienced the garbled noise issue with the shitty build, one thing that consistently works for me is to play a 5.1 DD stream on my Sony TV's Netflix app, then passthrough works properly again.
Found that out too. You have to first play AC3 via another app. Only afterwards would the PCM hack work. In my case I always fired up Live TV first with some AC3 channel which is the case anyway when I cold boot the TV. Playing something in SPMC via RAW API did the trick too.

PCM hack is highly dangerous.
Playing AC3 via the built-in Sony Player did not do the trick, though - perhaps because they are not using the API implementation of using passthrough.

But then again, AC3 has worked on the Netflix app for well over a year, and pre-Marshmallow, I'm not sure why that works and not via the Sony app.
Quote:Android Firmware that meets the IEC61937 Audio standard used in Kodi Krypton v17 currently includes the Xiaomi Mi Box and the nVIDIA Shield.

I read through this thread and some very technical discussions. I have Mibox and based on quote above I should not be having the DTS passthrough issue on Mi box, correct?

Well, DTS not passing through, Is it that I have to wait for Nougat update or will current firmware on Mi box work?

I have passthrough enabled and DTS capable receiver selected.

Thanks,

Sent from my E6653
Do you have in Android Settings > Audio > Digital Sounds > HDMI selected ?

(2017-03-01, 14:22)ssss25 Wrote:
Quote:Android Firmware that meets the IEC61937 Audio standard used in Kodi Krypton v17 currently includes the Xiaomi Mi Box and the nVIDIA Shield.

I read through this thread and some very technical discussions. I have Mibox and based on quote above I should not be having the DTS passthrough issue on Mi box, correct?

Well, DTS not passing through, Is it that I have to wait for Nougat update or will current firmware on Mi box work?

I have passthrough enabled and DTS capable receiver selected.

Thanks,

Sent from my E6653 (typie typie)

wasn it the problem, that android 5 or lower, doesnt even support the IEC61937 Audio standard ? And if so, it automaticlly doesnt support Passthrough of the audio formats?
that it came available on nougat ?
I thought i read that someweher, but can't find it anymore. Confused
HI, yes I do have HDMI selected in android audio settings.

Roberto, MI Box is marshmallow (Android 6.0.1)

So anyone with mibox got DTS working with kodi 17?

Sent from my E6653
Why not reading the very first post? Everything explained here, especially amlogic and pre alpha FW shippers mentioned.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-02-27, 19:28)koji00 Wrote: Thanks for the summary.

BTW, In case anyone else has experienced the garbled noise issue with the shitty build, one thing that consistently works for me is to play a 5.1 DD stream on my Sony TV's Netflix app, then passthrough works properly again.

Dunno if that's something fixable, but I guess I'll just have to live with it until Sony pushes out a fix for the official Kodi release.

You could play a 5.1 DD stream automatically when Kodi loads, save you having to do it manually :-)
(2017-03-02, 07:42)fritsch Wrote: Why not reading the very first post? Everything explained here, especially amlogic and pre alpha FW shippers mentioned.
I did. Please read my initial post.

I was asking because the following quote:

---
Android Firmware that meets the IEC61937 Audio standard used in Kodi Krypton v17 currently includes the Xiaomi Mi Box and the nVIDIA Shield.
---

Means that Mi box should work fine with DTS on v17. It doesn't. So anyone with mibox, any success?

Thanks.

Sent from my E6653
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Passthrough Changes with v178