Will Kodi play 4k uhd files?
I'm thinking of preordering this that will let me download a 4k uhd file...

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/thefourthphase4k

But never tried playing one so not sure what player I can use
(2016-09-05, 20:04)andyd Wrote: I'm thinking of preordering this that will let me download a 4k uhd file...

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/thefourthphase4k

But never tried playing one so not sure what player I can use

Not sure what you're asking. Is this question Kodi related?
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
It is. I've never handled a 4k file so not sure what to use as a player. I would imagine that to play it the player would need to support it so I'm asking if Kodi supports 4k playback
I don't think so. On the order page it says that only HD, SD and mobile files are DRM free. Kodi cannot play DRM protected videos.
(2016-09-05, 21:17)wesk05 Wrote: I don't think so. On the order page it says that only HD, SD and mobile files are DRM free. Kodi cannot play DRM protected videos.

Download DRM-free SD, HD, and mobile files

It says drm-free on the buy page. Unless you mean they are categorizing 4k video differently (i.e. it's not HD)
(2016-09-05, 21:50)andyd Wrote: It says drm-free on the buy page. Unless you mean they are categorizing 4k video differently (i.e. it's not HD)
I don't know, you may want to get it clarified from Vimeo. Usually Ultra HD/UHD/4K is a separate category these days.

Edit:
I found this on another 4K video:
Quote:Download DRM-free SD, HD, 4K, and mobile-ready files
So, it looks like 4K is a separate category.
Ah ok - thanks for pointing that out. I'll reach out to them to clarify
I've been playing 4K demos for a while, Kodi handles them like a champ although you may need the hardware, 4K UHD TV and the proper HDMI cable (looking for HDMI 2, but I understand HDMI 1.4 will handle 30fps) A lot of these new boxes are centered around this upcoming standard, and I may be mistaken but doesn't the UHD part of this equation stand for 10bit video? Kodi can do the down-scaling if you have a 1080p system, but most of the new hardware is having to deal with upscalers to convert 1080p to 4K because there is little content available at the higher resolution and I believe Kodi will do that too, but you're better off letting dedicated hardware handle scaling.Check the road map, and you'll find where we are and the direction Kodi is going.
(2016-09-06, 02:38)PatK Wrote: I've been playing 4K demos for a while, Kodi handles them like a champ although you may need the hardware, 4K UHD TV and the proper HDMI cable (looking for HDMI 2, but I understand HDMI 1.4 will handle 30fps) A lot of these new boxes are centered around this upcoming standard, and I may be mistaken but doesn't the UHD part of this equation stand for 10bit video? Kodi can do the down-scaling if you have a 1080p system, but most of the new hardware is having to deal with upscalers to convert 1080p to 4K because there is little content available at the higher resolution and I believe Kodi will do that too, but you're better off letting dedicated hardware handle scaling.Check the road map, and you'll find where we are and the direction Kodi is going.

Thanks for the details!

What I'm actually hoping is that if I buy the 4k video it will just be down sampled to 1080p. I don't have a TV that supports 4K yet but eventually I will and I wanted to be sure I got the 4k version so I have it when I do upgrade.

I confirmed with Vimeo as well - it will be a mp4 file.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will Kodi play 4k uhd files?0