Solved Multi CD album look like real life possible?
How can I tag / organize / file structure ... a Multi CD album so Kodi will show it the way it is in real life?

If I pick a multi cd album from the shelve
- it has a cover picture
- opening the jewel-case I see a cd with a picrure on cd 1 and an other picture on cd 2
- I insert one of those two into the player and a list of tracks are playable

In Kodi Albumview I would like to see the album cover - if I select this album I want to see two cd "covers" - selecting one of those I want to get to the track list. Is this possible? If yes, how do I do it (tagging (what tags), filenames, folder-structure, ...?

Thanks for help and

rgds. Heinz
At the moment multi disc sets are a weak point in Kodi. I don't think it can do what you want Sad
I'm sure there are previous posts complianing about it.

If you want different art for each disc then you will have to give each a different album name, embed the art in the song files or put all the songs from a disck in a folder with the art in folder.jpg.

Maybe someone else will say how they handle this.
sort media as follows.

Album Artist\Album Name\CD1\01-artist-title.mp3
Album Artist\Album Name\CD1\folder.jpg
Album Artist\Album Name\CD1\disc.jpg
Album Artist\Album Name\CD2\01-artist-title.mp3
Album Artist\Album Name\CD2\folder.jpg
Album Artist\Album Name\CD2\disc.jpg

also helps to use musicbrainz picard to tag your media
(2016-09-19, 17:18)DaveBlake Wrote: At the moment multi disc sets are a weak point in Kodi. I don't think it can do what you want Sad
I'm sure there are previous posts complianing about it.

If you want different art for each disc then you will have to give each a different album name, embed the art in the song files or put all the songs from a disck in a folder with the art in folder.jpg.

Maybe someone else will say how they handle this.

Dave,
you could be right, but let's see if bry- has a better approach.

(2016-09-19, 17:54)bry- Wrote: sort media as follows.

Album Artist\Album Name\CD1\01-artist-title.mp3
Album Artist\Album Name\CD1\folder.jpg
Album Artist\Album Name\CD1\disc.jpg
Album Artist\Album Name\CD2\folder.jpg
Album Artist\Album Name\CD2\01-artist-title.mp3 <---- I believe this was a copy error, right?
Album Artist\Album Name\CD2\disc.jpg

also helps to use musicbrainz picard to tag your media

bry-,

is your "sort media" something done within Kodi or the folder and file structure?
I struggle with tagging my first albums, so could you please elaborate a bit more on picard?

Thanks to both of you,
Heinz
bry- disc.jpg is a new one on me too, skin or addon dependant maybe?

Kodi depends on the folder structure (and correct file name e.g. folder.jpg) to find locally stored album art. Otherwise you could embed the album art in the song file. Bry- is suggesting a folder structure for you, but to get music into the library it does need to be tagged too with artist, album title, track number etc. While people name their music files that way for use in other players, or just for organisation, Kodi does not get library information from the file name, it uses tags inside the files.

There are many different software tool for tagging music - Picard is one (that also adds Musicbrainz ID tags that uniquely identify songs and artists for use fetching other information from online sources), Mp3Tag is another that I use.
On Aeon MQ skin, we need a disc.png inside the same folder os music files, with this way, wen we play a song and goes to full screen music visaulization, we see a album cover, and a spinning disc behind the album cover.
(2016-09-19, 18:19)mezera Wrote: Dave,
you could be right, but let's see if bry- has a better approach.
(2016-09-19, 18:19)mezera Wrote: bry-,

is your "sort media" something done within Kodi or the folder and file structure?
I struggle with tagging my first albums, so could you please elaborate a bit more on picard?

I have a multiple step approach to tagging and sorting my media.
First I tag with musicbrainz picard. I followed instructions here then I use MediaMonkey and grab the album cover in 500x500 via advanced google image search. or I resize with the album art. I get a lot of stuff from bandcamp.com that comes with covers. Then in mediamonkey I use the auto-organize option: \multimedia\music\bryan music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2>-<Artist>>-<Title> which results in this: \\multimedia\Music\Bryan Music\Tonedeff\Polymer\01-Tonedeff-The Things You Don't See Coming.mp3 great album btw!

(2016-09-19, 18:30)DaveBlake Wrote: bry- disc.jpg is a new one on me too, skin or addon dependant maybe?

Kodi depends on the folder structure (and correct file name e.g. folder.jpg) to find locally stored album art. Otherwise you could embed the album art in the song file. Bry- is suggesting a folder structure for you, but to get music into the library it does need to be tagged too with artist, album title, track number etc. While people name their music files that way for use in other players, or just for organisation, Kodi does not get library information from the file name, it uses tags inside the files.

There are many different software tool for tagging music - Picard is one (that also adds Musicbrainz ID tags that uniquely identify songs and artists for use fetching other information from online sources), Mp3Tag is another that I use.

(2016-09-19, 20:48)sagrath Wrote: On Aeon MQ skin, we need a disc.png inside the same folder os music files, with this way, wen we play a song and goes to full screen music visaulization, we see a album cover, and a spinning disc behind the album cover.

correct, I use aeon Mq7 and it displays the cd artwork. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=77031&page=138
The basic concept for the art was developed from addon cdArt Manager. That addon kind of died but was picked up by user/dev stef.an and is in the official repo. I gave up on it a ways back because it was taking artist and album names from the library and querying musicbrainz to develop its own database of MBIDs. Kind of negating the whole idea of having MBIDs in song tags. I think that might have been changed in its current versions, but I lost interest in the addon and haven't checked it lately.

Any way, it might be desirable to have functionality like movie "sets"/"collections" and a GUI display option of "group in sets". Then skins could easily develop multi-cd viewmodes for these. Though I tend to prefer just having a single "virtual" cd album of all songs in disc/track order. I guess a "box set" might be an application for the "set" concept.

scott s.
@bry- or DaveBlake(?),

I have no luck with the "structure" in Kodi, was no problem to have a folder/file structure bry- suggested. As soon as I select a multi-CD album I imedeatetly get a list of tracks (those from 1st CD followed by those from CD2). I would like Kodi to show CD1, CD2, .. as an intermediate step before going to the tracks of the CDn. I suspect I do some wrong or it is not possible. Any ideas? BTW I ripped the CDs with ExactAudioCopy and than fetched Musicbrainz information with mp3tag.

kr from Vienna, Austria,
Heinz
I can only repeat what I said in previous posts:
At the moment multi disc sets are a weak point in Kodi. I don't think it can do what you want Sad
Kodi does not get library information from the file name, it uses tags inside the files.

I presume that Musicbrainz considers the disc set as (correctly?) a single album, and Mp3tag has tagged the songs as all being from one album, so music library does not care what folder structure you use for those song files. It puts them in the library as 1 album, and although songs will have a disc number it does not have support for intermediate steps per CD.

If you want Kodi to treat the disc set as separate CDs then you will need to tag the songs as if they are from separate albums.
(2016-09-21, 17:22)DaveBlake Wrote: ..

I presume that Musicbrainz considers the disc set as (correctly?) a single album, and Mp3tag has tagged the songs as all being from one album, so music library does not care what folder structure you use for those song files. It puts them in the library as 1 album, and although songs will have a disc number it does not have support for intermediate steps per CD.

As far as I can see thats exactly what happens.

(2016-09-21, 17:22)DaveBlake Wrote: If you want Kodi to treat the disc set as separate CDs then you will need to tag the songs as if they are from separate albums.

If I do that, I'll have two separate album entries (I tried that before with albumname-CD1 [thats what freedb thinks is the correct name] and albumname-CD2, ..., both have the same cover and I didn't like it.

If bry- doesn't come up with something new, I'll close this thread in 1 or 2 days.

rgds. from Vienna, Austria,
Heinz
In reality we need to implement a "boxed set" concept within the music library (borrowing ideas from video) to do what you and others want. That is a new feature, and I'm not sure if I will get to it, but I am aware of it.
(2016-09-21, 19:09)DaveBlake Wrote: In reality we need to implement a "boxed set" concept within the music library (borrowing ideas from video) to do what you and others want. That is a new feature, and I'm not sure if I will get to it, but I am aware of it.

Dave,

I'm sure you are the person to change music within Kodi to be atractiv und better usable. With what I've read so far about the improvements you've done for classical music in V17 it's just a question of time.

BTW, I would like to get hints, tips and tricks for my wifes classical albums. A How-to or guideline or similar would be nice. My special need here is to seperate classical (opera, piano or other concerto, ...) from POP, Rock, ...

Best regards from Vienna, Austria,
Heinz
@mezera - which skin are you using? This may be a skin related configuration. I only use skins from the Aeon MQ series, 7 at the moment. Lots of bells and whistles may not run very well. @mezera can you also please give me an example of an album so I can take a look and test myself if possible when time allows.
(2016-09-21, 20:21)bry- Wrote: @mezera - which skin are you using? This may be a skin related configuration. I only use skins from the Aeon MQ series, 7 at the moment. Lots of bells and whistles may not run very well. @mezera can you also please give me an example of an album so I can take a look and test myself if possible when time allows.

My test environment is Kodi on Ubuntu 16.04, the target will be a Raspberry Pi 3.
Tried two skins with same results: Confluence and Aeon Nox.
The album I try is:
<https://musicbrainz.org/release/461ec9a5-0eac-3091-92e7-b7438a54152f>

HTH.

Rgds. from Vienna, Austria,
Heinz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multi CD album look like real life possible?0