• 93(current)
Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
Thanks... yes, Shield is better than Zidoo if you don't need full 3D. It's almost a perfect all-in-one box w/Kodi, HD audio, proper framerates support, Netflix/Amazon, and even gaming. It's fast, powerful... and should this year even make a good DVR solution (with Tablo Droid and other options).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2017-02-12, 23:36)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks... yes, Shield is better than Zidoo if you don't need full 3D. It's almost a perfect all-in-one box w/Kodi, HD audio, proper framerates support, Netflix/Amazon, and even gaming. It's fast, powerful... and should this year even make a good DVR solution (with Tablo Droid and other options).

Many thanks, reading the analysis of the 2015 vs 2017 16GB seems to me to understand that the 2017 is smaller than the previous one, but it loses IR, Micro USB and SD still compensates or better to go the 2015 model?
Thank you Blush
@Tinwarble has a nice comparison here... but, you may as well get the new version as both remote and game controller are included, and hands-free Google voice assist is coming. For storage expansion (as adopted storage on Shield), I'm using this SATA-to-USB3 adapter with a SSD hard drive. It's fast and works well.
My HT
(2017-02-13, 04:08)hdmkv Wrote: @Tinwarble has a nice comparison here... but, you may as well get the new version as both remote and game controller are included,
Doesn't have the new shield not a bad remote with a fixed battery instead of a charging one?
(2017-02-13, 04:08)hdmkv Wrote: @Tinwarble has a nice comparison here... but, you may as well get the new version as both remote and game controller are included, and hands-free Google voice assist is coming. For storage expansion (as adopted storage on Shield), I'm using this SATA-to-USB3 adapter with a SSD hard drive. It's fast and works well.

Thanks for the reply.

I had read the comparative, which is fantastic.

But on the table, it looks inferior to 2017 when losing SD card or micro USB.
Although I do not know if it contributes some functionality to be the new highlight.

Sorry for the disturbances.

Querty1000 The new remote has removable batteries as I read and I thought I understood.
Not really... using USB 3.0 is faster with the right stick or SATA-to-SSD adapter as I'm doing.
My HT
Actually, SATA 3.0 is faster than USB3.0. And in most cases, the USB controllers cannot manage the top speed that USB 3.0 promises as opposed to the SATA controller. A good option is a SATA to eSATA adaptor connected to a docking station with eSATA port.
Yes, I would like the option of adding a SATA-connected harddrive to the Shield. This, some comments on the remote and the lack of openwrt and 3D MVC playback have put me off so far.
Back to the X9S: I still notice regular short audio dropouts when playing music (.flac CD rips) via ZDMC. The music is stored on a Samsung 850 EVO connected directly via SATA so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem. Can anybody confirm this issue?
Audio drop outs in my bluray Iso converts somehow gone..
Thank you zidoo...

Sent from my iPhone
I managed to pick up shield #3 for $100 with complete with remote on craigslist. The guy even shipped it to me from a distant city 2 hrs away. Reason: my internet is too slow in the mountains of NC. Still plastic all over it. Wouldnt even ask for shipping cost. I just sent him $110 to cover shipping/ pp fees. Still some nice folks out there!

I will likely give this one to my dad, but only if he decides to get a 4K receiver. If not , it goes in the bedroom.

I have retired two, Arctic MC10001 kits this past month. Talk about slugs. Atmo D520, 2GB ram, but the damn thing worked great with gigabit, bitstreaming.It was a fanless champ, but showed its age.

Ever since the shield got amazon video, I am beside myself!!!

I love my Zidoo x9s to tinker, but lets face it, Its for 3D, Everything else, its just a side benefit.
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV
My follow up review after upgrading to version 1.2.11. Here's link to my original review and more bugs caught later on
So out of the total six bugs I reported

1. Unit automatically turning on with HDMI-CEC off. Not Fixed
2. Subtitles with html tags not showing properly. Not fixed. However, I read in the Zidoo forum that they're planning to fix this
3. Annoying sound when I pause movies with HD-Audio. Not Fixed
4. No resume with multiple files. Not Fixed
5. 720p bug. Seems to be fixed.
6. Random shutdown when Daydream(screensaver) feature is on. Not fixed

Most of the bugs I can live with. However, I'm not sure why resume function is so hard to implement. Even a $20 noname media player from Aliexpress can do this. Heck the built in crappy media player in my 5-year-old Panasonic tv can do this. Is it very hard to implement?
In the newest firmware there's still a problem with the alignment of the subtitles, see my post earlier: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2507269

i hope this wil be also fixed, because now i have to encode the ISO's to MKV and convert the PGS subtitles to SRT (with OCR).
(2017-02-17, 06:20)rockhard Wrote: 3. Annoying sound when I pause movies with HD-Audio. Not Fixed

FYI, the same happens to the Mede8er 600x3D. (and yes it is annoying because you have to turn volume down).
did anyone order the X9s from amazon? if so does this fall under the prime member's return policy?

thanks
(2017-02-18, 06:15)syphon00 Wrote: did anyone order the X9s from amazon? if so does this fall under the prime member's return policy?

thanks

I ordered from amazon in the UK and returned my first one no problems.
  • 93(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use8