v15 Failed to connect the MythTv backend with the known protocol versions.
I have been running Kodi/Openelec as a MythTV frontend since Jan 2016. Things have been running fine until I upgraded my MythTV backend/frontend machine from 14.04 to 16.04. Now my Kodi frontend complains it can't connect with the backend. "Failed to connect the MythTv backend with the known protocol versions."
I also had a problem that I couldn't connect to the Myth backend using Mythweb because of mysql/php issues, which I have since fixed. See:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2342300
Also my frontend LIRC remote doesn't work, but I assume thats not related.

I've checked the Mythtv backend setup to make sure the security key is 0000 and the ports match Kodi.
The Kodi Mythtv add-on is 2.8.4 and the Update menu item is greyed out, so I assume I'm up to date.
Here is a copy of the log with debbuging enabled in both the add-on and Kodi.

http://pastebin.com/FUxDpzaw

Thanks for your help!
Kodi Mythtv addon (pvr.mythtv) is out of date you need version 2.8.5 to work with mythtv fixes/0.28.

Download to Raspberry Pi from http://janbar.github.io/pvr.mythtv/downl...mhf-15.zip

Copy it to .kodi/addons and unzip it, then restart Kodi.

This version will then be used instead of the version provided by OpenElec.

Mike
Should I uninstall the old one first?
There is no need to uninstall the old one. Kodi when it starts will load the pvr.mythtv addon from .kodi/addons/ if it exists, in preference from the normal install path, typically /usr/share/kodi/addons/.

If you ever need to update pvr.mythtv in .kodi/addons/ just use unzip -o <filename>. The -o just causes the unzip operation to overwrite what is already present. It is important to restart Kodi after the unzip operation. Kodi does have an "Install from zip option", do not use for pvr.mythtv it does not always work, hence the use of unzip.

Mike
Thanks for the info.
I tried unzippng the file on my Mint compy and copying it to the sd card. The files all appeared to have similar dates, although the changelog.txt did have a new rev listed.
When I plugged it into my Pi and enabld the mythpvr addon and enabled TV it reset and went into a reset loop, comimg up with the Kodi logo and then restarting.
I'm not sure if unzipping on Mint somehow caused the problem.
Luckily I had saved the original pvr.myth folder and copied it back to the sd card using Mint. I also copied the zip file so I could try unzipping on the Pi. However now my Pi flashes the LEDs when it powers up, but I get no signal to my TV. I'm afraid I may have damaged my Pi with ESD or something.
I think I'll try re-building the sd card (with the latest openelec) and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll need to buy another Pi.

Thanks for you help!
It is most likely SD card corruption, so a reimage should fix it.

I did test my instructions using Openelec 6.0.3 and unzipping on the Pi, pvr.mythtv addon worked fine with my mythtv fixes/0.28 test system.

I normally use gftp on a linux system (Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Mythbuntu/Mint etc.) to transfer files to a Pi, and then ssh to the PI to unzip.

The only time I have seen damage was to an SD card when I forgot unplug the Pi power cord before removing/inserting the SD card. No damage to the Pi.

Mike

You were right about the corrupt card. Rebuilt with openelec 6.0.3
ftp'd pvr.myth zip and unzipped using SSH
rebooted and PVR addon shows rev 2.8.5
configured IP address and enabled
tried enabling TV and it reboots every time.
hmmm...
I am beginning to think that there is a configuration problem with the mythbackend, although I don't understand why Kodi is restarting.

Can you :
1. Confirm that for mythbackend in mythtv-setup General that both IP address are set to the same value i.e. 192.168.0.105 (taken from your log)
2. Put the following in your favourite web browser

http://192.168.0.105:6544/Myth/GetConnectionInfo

and paste the output to this forum thread you should see something like this (the formatting could be very different depending on your web browser):

Code:
<ConnectionInfo version="1.1" serializerVersion="1.1"><Version><Version>v0.28-78-g1434df8-dirty</Version><Branch>fixes/0.28</Branch><Protocol>88</Protocol><Binary>0.28.20160309-1</Binary><Schema>1344</Schema></Version><Database><Host>192.168.0.24</Host><Ping>true</Ping><Port>3306</Port><UserName>mythtv</UserName><Password>BMWL4Pg9</Password><Name>mythconverg</Name><Type>QMYSQL</Type><LocalEnabled>false</LocalEnabled><LocalHostName/></Database><WOL><Enabled>false</Enabled><Reconnect>0</Reconnect><Retry>5</Retry><Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command></WOL></ConnectionInfo>

The part of main interest is <Database><Host>192.168.0.24</Host> which should have your mythbackend IP address, if it has anything else it is a problem.
I confirmed that both the local and master backend IP addresses are set to 192.168.0.105 in mythbackend setup.

Here's the output from the getconnectioninfo request:

Code:
<ConnectionInfo version="1.1" serializerVersion="1.1"><Version><Version>v0.28-78-g1434df8</Version><Branch>fixes/0.28</Branch><Protocol>88</Protocol><Binary>0.28.20160309-1</Binary><Schema>1344</Schema></Version><Database><Host>127.0.0.1</Host><Ping>true</Ping><Port>3306</Port><UserName>mythtv</UserName><Password>Lt7Re7BW</Password><Name>mythconverg</Name><Type>QMYSQL</Type><LocalEnabled>false</LocalEnabled><LocalHostName/></Database><WOL><Enabled>false</Enabled><Reconnect>0</Reconnect><Retry>5</Retry><Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command></WOL></ConnectionInfo>
Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been doing some more investigations.

It seems that the pvr.mythtv addon in the link i gave you does not work (continuous restarts as you observed) on RPi (the original with a single CPU core, works fine on RPi2/3).

I have rebuilt the pvr.mythtv addon and tested it on RPi, I have placed it in my Dropbox at :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wupybsaovrncqx...i.zip?dl=0

You will need to reimage Openelec and copy across my rebuilt version, or just ftp the addon, my Openelec stays running, only Kodi is restarting, so ssh and gftp should be possible

Mike
Mike,
Success!!!
I was able to ftp over the new addon, then SSH and unzip, then reboot from SSH
Myth addon was already setup and enabled, so I just enabled TV and it started running the PVR stuff.
I can watch TV now (after re-enabling the MPG2 license.)
So, are you one of the authors of this addon, or just someone familiar with it?

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all your help! I would have torn my hair out without your support!

Thanks,
Don
Don,

Great that it is now working.

I am familiar with the addon and have contributed a little bit to development.

I normally run development versions of Kodi and Mythtv, so I build a lot from source.

Just for the record, I rebuilt the addon from the official source code, using official Raspberry Pi Foundation Toolchain on Ubuntu 16.04.

Mike
Cool!
Does this change need to get inserted back into the source for others who have a similar setup to mine?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failed to connect the MythTv backend with the known protocol versions.0