Add another Android device as a source?
I was wondering If it's possible to connect using File Manager to another Android device and add the media stored there as a source?

I've tried adding the IP address in manually, but can't get a connection, unless I'm totally missing something.

Tried SMB, NFS (doesn't do anything) etc
As far as I know, Android doesn't allow you to export your filesystems without some help... search on the Play store for "SMB Server" and see what you find.

What you will trip over is that any SMB server application can't use the default ports unless you're running it on a rooted device. If Kodi's file manager allows you to specify the port as well as the IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.1:9000) then this should be fine - otherwise, you're likely to need to root your (source) device first.
OK cool, ill have a look into it. Thanks
enabling UPNP in kodi should work
Thanks Prof.

I've tried a few apps, pretty all require root, which I can't do on the Tablet. Ive tried to do it manually with the ports given by the application, but it doesn't connect using SMB.
Apps like all cast and play to etc create a server, would that server then not be able to be seen by kodi? Worth a try.

Sent from my X15
Then have a look at wsnipex's suggestion - share the media (and library) over UPnP to the second device.
Try servers ultimate (pro) in the play store if you have access to that. Works for me without rooting.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add another Android device as a source?0