Kodi 17 Font Size and Biology
I for one am fine with the interface not changing to accommodate my low vision even with my contacts/glasses. I am even fine with Estuary being set up so I have to go in and make a whole new skin due to the font.xml file no longer being available to directly be modified.
My main issue is with the code. Peterallcdn like myself, have dug into the code and changed it to fit our needs. How about just labeling what each line of code is for and what it effects in the font.xml file.
Seriously?
Here's the manual
http://kodi.wiki/view/Skinning
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
The solution to all of this is scalable UI however there's limitations in the code currently that prevent the skinners from doing this, until these limitations are resolved then anything for Estuary will only a compromised solution which is not something the Team would be willing to do. In the meantime it's quite easy to scale up or down the UI yourself, see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2497611

So if you've a 1920x1080 display then increase the resolution to scale down the UI element so as fonts and posters (the advantage of this is to fit more onto the screen), e.g. scale down 10% by setting 2112x1188, or more relevant to the people posting here is decreasing the resolution to scale up the UI elements to make them bigger, e.g. scale up 10% by setting 1728x972.
(2017-05-02, 15:40)rpcameron Wrote: While I sympathize, I can't understand why needing the interface to change is the solution for those with poor vision. You don't expect the city to make traffic signage in gargantuan sized lettering to permit those with poor eyesight to drive; instead you ask drivers to wear corrective lenses. Large-print format books are available, but they are not the default printed, and are not available for every title; if reading is difficult, corrective lenses such as reading glasses and the like are used.

You're comparing a physical display to a digital display. They aren't the same thing. When it comes to bigger text, digital displays do not have the same limitations or costs as physical displays. And besides, it doesn't matter how big the text on a sign is unless the city can also make pedestrians bigger too as there's no point in being able to read signs if the driver is constantly running people over.

(2017-05-02, 15:40)rpcameron Wrote: You may think I don't understand what it's like, but my vision is actually much poorer than yours: 20/80 in my left eye, and 20/200 (yes, essentially blind) in my right eye. If your vision is as poor as you claim, you cannot easily function without corrective lenses of some sort in regular daily life, and therefore probably have a pair; is it so difficult to put them on when watching TV?

And I'm the reverse, I see almost entirely with my right eye. But there must be some confusion. The fact that you say to just put on a pair of glasses and everything will be fine suggests that when you say you're 20/80, that you're talking about your uncorrected vision, what you see without glasses. When I say I'm 20/50... actually over the past 6 months I've dropped to 20/60 or 20/70 due to a form of macular degeneration that highly myopic(nearsighted) people are vulnerable to... I'm talking about best-corrected vision. That's the best I can see with glasses and I'm biologically unable to see any better.

If you actually do have a best corrected vision of 20/80, I don't know how you could possibly be happy with the current font size. And I assume you don't have a driver's license as I myself having dropped to at least 20/60... just lost mine 2 weeks ago.
(2017-05-02, 18:51)Hitcher Wrote: Seriously?

Seriously! ;-) I don't think fliphusker is asking for all lines of code within Kodi to be labelled, just in font.xml to describe which parts of the UX that font setting affects. I don't see this as unreasonable. As I said in an earlier post, it'd be nice if font.xml was broken down into more granular settings so that each font setting only affects a single element of the UX. That way people can adjust the font size of just the elements they need without breaking other elements unnecessarily. Doesn't that seem reasonable?

And thanks for updating Confluence. I'm now using it until I can figure out how to alter a couple of Estuary's views.
(2017-05-02, 23:40)peterallcdn Wrote:
(2017-05-02, 15:40)rpcameron Wrote: You may think I don't understand what it's like, but my vision is actually much poorer than yours: 20/80 in my left eye, and 20/200 (yes, essentially blind) in my right eye. If your vision is as poor as you claim, you cannot easily function without corrective lenses of some sort in regular daily life, and therefore probably have a pair; is it so difficult to put them on when watching TV?

And I'm the reverse, I see almost entirely with my right eye. But there must be some confusion. The fact that you say to just put on a pair of glasses and everything will be fine suggests that when you say you're 20/80, that you're talking about your uncorrected vision, what you see without glasses. When I say I'm 20/50... actually over the past 6 months I've dropped to 20/60 or 20/70 due to a form of macular degeneration that highly myopic(nearsighted) people are vulnerable to... I'm talking about best-corrected vision. That's the best I can see with glasses and I'm biologically unable to see any better.

If you actually do have a best corrected vision of 20/80, I don't know how you could possibly be happy with the current font size. And I assume you don't have a driver's license as I myself having dropped to at least 20/60... just lost mine 2 weeks ago.

Yes, my uncorrected vision. I understand MD, and yes it's horrible. But it still doesn't change the situation. It's unfortunate that the free software ecosystem does not often cater to those with medical conditions, but expecting every piece of software to cater to yours is a bit ridiculous. In fact, looking at the commercial software/hardware landscape for media players, I don't know of any that offer the massive font sizes you are looking for. Android TV, AppleTV, Fire TV ... the major players in the commercial space seem to agree with the Kodi developers on this.

If you are truly in need of a more legible skin for Kodi, nothing is stopping you from doing something about it. If you cannot modify the files yourself or craft your own skin, you can also hire individuals to do for you.
@Hitcher-Not talking all the lines, just the 22 in font.xml. I know that Estuary has slimmed down the size compared to most. (Most skins are over 50. Not sure this is good or bad. It is what it is.) When I tear into a font.xml file, (probably have done this on 25 skins) it is not easy to go line by line and test what it does. I test on my computer before moving the font.xml file to my Kodi box. (No clue how to modify the font.xml file without plugging it directly into my computer.) I will admit I have not done this on Estuary as only have two issues of text being outside of a box or unable to be read. Neither of them are deal breakers.
Does it look pretty on my Koci box? Nope, but I only care about functionality.
I appreciate the link to the skinning manual, I went through it months ago and has no real value as font.xml files for every skin is heavily modified for the variant.
The fact that I could blunder around in the code in Kodi is the reason I went with it over any other media source. Please do not get me wrong, I am not bashing anything that the great people in the Kodi community do. I am just very happy I am to the point where I really like a simplistic skin. (Would love it if it had ratings while searching through movies or tv shows without clicking on information. But it is not a deal breaker.)
I will check out the scalable UI deal, not sure how it will work with my dinosaur 63 inch TV. But thank you for the info!
(2017-05-02, 23:49)peterallcdn Wrote:

Seriously! ;-) I don't think fliphusker is asking for all lines of code within Kodi to be labelled, just in font.xml to describe which parts of the UX that font setting affects. I don't see this as unreasonable. As I said in an earlier post, it'd be nice if font.xml was broken down into more granular settings so that each font setting only affects a single element of the UX. That way people can adjust the font size of just the elements they need without breaking other elements unnecessarily. Doesn't that seem reasonable?

And thanks for updating Confluence. I'm now using it until I can figure out how to alter a couple of Estuary's views.

Even then there's probably 70-80 different windows/dialogs in Kodi and you want someone to go through each one and find out which font is used for what in each one?
(2017-05-03, 07:33)Hitcher Wrote:
(2017-05-02, 23:49)peterallcdn Wrote:

Even then there's probably 70-80 different windows/dialogs in Kodi and you want someone to go through each one and find out which font is used for what in each one?

They are testing them and modifying them when making a new build for a new version of Kodi?
I shotgun and just up the values in the font.xml, I basically change everything to 50 and do not mess with anything larger. So that eliminates, I dunno, 5-7.
Not asking for the world here, just some simple comments in the code. Some skins, if you change the font size of movie summary it effects font in settings. Dunno if that is the same case in Estuary. What world would that make sense?
(2017-05-03, 18:40)fliphusker Wrote:
(2017-05-03, 07:33)Hitcher Wrote:
(2017-05-02, 23:49)peterallcdn Wrote: Seriously! ;-) I don't think fliphusker is asking for all lines of code within Kodi to be labelled, just in font.xml to describe which parts of the UX that font setting affects. I don't see this as unreasonable. As I said in an earlier post, it'd be nice if font.xml was broken down into more granular settings so that each font setting only affects a single element of the UX. That way people can adjust the font size of just the elements they need without breaking other elements unnecessarily. Doesn't that seem reasonable?

They are testing them and modifying them when making a new build for a new version of Kodi?
I shotgun and just up the values in the font.xml, I basically change everything to 50 and do not mess with anything larger. So that eliminates, I dunno, 5-7.
Not asking for the world here, just some simple comments in the code. Some skins, if you change the font size of movie summary it effects font in settings. Dunno if that is the same case in Estuary. What world would that make sense?

Because they're based on size so it stands to reason you'd use the same size all over the skin.
Quote:Because they're based on size so it stands to reason you'd use the same size all over the skin.

Most coders do it this way? I am not a coder, but would only stand to reason one would build code sectionally. Not going to paint every wall in your house that is 12 feet long the same color, right?
It more like that would buy tins of paint for the total wall coverage and those tins would be shared for all walls requiring painting, what you are suggesting is akin to buying a tin of paint for every wall even if it doesn't need a full tin of paint.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 Font Size and Biology0